Tech / How To

Porsche 997 Upgrade to Xenon Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Porsche 997 Upgrade to Xenon Lights

I am considering the purchase of a 2007 997 that was not factory optioned with xenon lights which is unusual. I am wondering if anyone has done a xenon light upgrade to a 997 and if so what was your experience (source of kit, parts list, time, difficulty, satisfied with results etc)? I am aware of both Porsche and aftermarket upgrade kits that are available for the 996 however haven't come across anything for the 997?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
porsche oem should be easy to put in so you can price the parts at dealer. if u are getting it from a dealer, hv them do it so it's cheaper.

i've not heard of aftermkt.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by djantlive
porsche oem should be easy to put in so you can price the parts at dealer. if u are getting it from a dealer, hv them do it so it's cheaper.

i've not heard of aftermkt.
Yesterday afternoon I got a quote from a Porsche dealer for the conversion based on OEM parts, they priced it at $2439.50 plus tax for parts and labor - I'm wondering if this is a good or even fair price.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
mattjtaylor50 is on a distinguished road
check with suncoast on pricing as well
i have heard they cheapest pricing for OEM
i am looking into ordering some parts from them

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by mattjtaylor50
check with suncoast on pricing as well
i have heard they cheapest pricing for OEM
i am looking into ordering some parts from them
I consulted with the Service Managers at Boardwalk Porsche and Barrier Porsche (where my car arrived this past weekend). Both concluded that upgrading a 997 to xenons is not a plug-and-play proposition for non factory xenon equipped cars. Simply purchasing the 997 xenon light buckets which contain the bulbs, ballasts and servos (for self leveling) won't work -there are also wiring issues. There is however an elegant after-market solution developed for 996's that is fully compatible with the 997 bucket which I plan to use.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
BlueJay73 will become famous soon enough
You've got my attention--what's the elegant aftermarket solution?

Jim

Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay73
You've got my attention--what's the elegant aftermarket solution?

Jim
Jim, I'm hoping to have the details to post an answer shortly. I requested the upgrade work to be done by the time I picked up my RS from Barrier Porsche on August 14 however their outsource shop were waiting for a "bracket" and I had run out of patience having waited close to 6 weeks for the car to arrive from Dallas. I picked up the car and plan to return in the near future to get the conversion done. The service tech I was dealing with at Barrier is Gary Catlin and he can be reached at 425-467-6000. They outsource the work however should be able to put you in touch with the shop.