Tech / How To

Replacing steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Replacing steering wheel

I'm going to install a new steering wheel (DIY).

Is it any big deal, or is there anything I need to know before I start?

Old 01-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Disconnect the battery for sure, I was told it is not a big job.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:46 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is on a distinguished road
This should help a little bit. Steering Wheel .pdf format.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
A bit is an understatemnet, thanks!!

Old 04-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Axis will become famous soon enough
yes definitely unplug the battery!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Dock,
What wheel did you get?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
angman is on a distinguished road
What an amazing write up. Would this apply top a 1997 boxster as well? I would like to replace my 4 spoke wheel with the newer 3 spoke wheel. Thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
BlueJay73 will become famous soon enough
I just did this mod about a week ago. I have a 2006 997 C2.
It was easy. Just some main pointsThis applies to 997. I don't know if this stuff applies to others types.) Point wheels straight so steering wheel level. REMOVE key from ignition. Disconnect (-) battery cable--Make sure you DO NOT put key in ignition when battery is disconnected. Remove airbag. Unclip wire from back of airbag--DO NOT put key in ignition while airbag is disconnected. When you're finished, wire must be connected to back of airbag before you put key in ignition. While wheel is off, tape clock spring so that you don't rotate it by accident. When you're completely finished and ready for your test drive, when you start the engine, you'll get a PSM Failure warning light in the instrument cluster. It will go off by itself after the car rolls a few feet. These are just incidental notes--obviously not complete instructions. I searched and found detailed instructions. That pdf file in this thread about steering wheel removal is WAY more than you need to do.

JIM

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
BlueJay73-
Two things: what do you mean by clock spring? and where did you get the instructions for this?

Thanks!!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Philly-

The pdf file in post #3 shows the clock spring in pages 7,8,9,10. The guy's finger is touching it in page 8. I don't know its function, but it rotates easily, and you're not supposed to rotate it, hence the guy taped it down with white tape in the picture.
I found good instructions on either this forum, or maybe it was the other Porsche car forum. I think maybe it was the other one. It's easy. Also, the new steering wheel (FVD Brombacher) came with instruction, and the FVD people in Florida were glad to help.
I forgot to mention an important point in my previous post: You must wait at least 20 minutes after disconnecting the (-) cable of the battery before you disconnect the electrical connector from the back of the airbag.

JIM

Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
BTW, for the 997, you do not need to remove any of the fascia pieces that the post #3 pdf file showed. Nor do you have to remove the instrument pod, as suggested in the pdf file.
Oh. One last thing. When you're unscrewing the one, big, main Torx bolt that holds the steering wheel on, have somebody hold the steering wheel tightly so it does not rotate while you are untorqueing the bolt. If the steering wheel rotates while you're torqueing the bolt counterclockwise to unscrew it, the steering wheel will lock (like when you park your car) and the steering wheel will not be straight and level. And, at this point, with the battery disconnected, you cannot put the key in the ignition to unlock the wheel to straighten it out. Not a huge deal, you just have to work with the steering wheel cocked at about a 30 degree angle. Which is exactly what I had to do.

JIM

Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
sportmpower is on a distinguished road
Took me 10 min. Disconnect the battery and wait ten min. before disconnecting the airbag. If not the light will come on.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Good info guys- what's with removing the key on 997 before disconnecting the battery? I thought the alarm would be set off if the battery is disconnected without the key in position 1 - or does that only apply to 996 cars?

What size is the main torx bolt?
How does the airbag come off the wheel (997)?

TIA!

Last edited by p0rsch3; 08-12-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Good info guys- what's with removing the key on 997 before disconnecting the battery? I thought the alarm would be set off if the battery is disconnected without the key in position 1 - or does that only apply to 996 cars?

What size is the main torx bolt?
How does the airbag come off the wheel (997)?

TIA!
...and does anyone have the factory torque spec for the main bolt for a 997 car?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Edgemont - all of that info is here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-removal.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing steering wheel