Tech / How To

Porsche PCM 3.1 audio capabilities

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM
ice2k8 is on a distinguished road
Porsche PCM 3.1 audio capabilities

Hi guys,

as I could fetch my brand new Cayenne with PCM 3.1, Bose and Universal-Audio-Interface w/ 40GB HDD from the dealer two weeks ago, I wanted to feed my Bose-speakers with something better than your standard MP3. I compiled two blog posts. Maybe this is helpful to hifi-fans with Bose or Burmester-Sound Systems. Feedback is very much appreciated.

Porsche PCM 3.1 Highresolution Audio How-To
How to copy DVD-Audio

Cheers

Rainer

Tags: MLP, LPCM, FLAC, ALAC, DVD-Audio, WAV, DTS, Advanced Resulution

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Seamus H is on a distinguished road
Max bitrate for lossy encoding playable by PCM 3.1

Having paid for the Burmester upgrade like most others I want to use high quality media. I have Apple lossless on an iPhone 5S, and am loading up a 320Gb drive with WAV files ([album artist]/[album]/[track] [title] to enable navigation and correct track order within albums). This works well using the power outlet in the center console to power the USB drive.

My issue is that I would also like to use the 40Gb Jukebox. My initial plan was to fill it with VBR AAC at q=1 (~400kbps) transcoded from my FLAC library using dbpoweramp. These sounded quite good, but the PCM would crash and reboot itself every 10 minutes or so. So thinking that the peak bitrate was more than PCM 3.1 (firmware 4.52) could handle, I tried 320kbps ABR AAC with forced LC encoding. Same issue: played for ~10 mins then PCM crashes.

So here is my question: what is the maximum bitrate for lossey formats that you have been able to use reliably with PCM 3.1?

[Like others I hate the lack of FLAC support and the moronic alphabetical track sorting rather that using the ID3 track tag. Had to get that in.]