6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tech / How To (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tech-how-32/)
-   -   A Stage 4GT Lunch Cruise- Still Puzzled (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tech-how/6375-stage-4gt-lunch-cruise-still-puzzled.html)

SHANKENFELTER 02-10-2004 11:37 AM

A Stage 4GT Lunch Cruise- Still Puzzled

Just met up with Dave (996TTR) and decided to test some passes with our cars during the lunch hour.

Dave: Seal Gray Stage 4GT, Zero Clearance Turbos running Pump Gas, Stock Exhaust.

Me: My GT2 Stage4GT, Garret Turbos, Pump Gas, Fabspeed Quiet.

First, I want to clarify something. When I ran last time with stephen, I really didn't monitor the boost guage that much. When I glanced at it, I saw 1.0, 1.1. Today I made an effort to. My car, in 3rd was steady at 1.0, then 1.1 and when shifted to 4th, it maintained steady 1.4. So I doubt there was a boost leak.

Both Dave and I experienced a dead zone in 4th gear and then a tad bit of surge there after, then ready for upshift to 5th. Dave thinks it might be normal, and related to the variocam.

Dave and I launched bottom of 3rd and into the top of 4th, and aside from a tad bit of traction issues, we were both neck and neck. We did this about 4 times, and once into 5th. - Same Results....identical performance.

Curious to know why his Stage 4GT had the Zero Clearance, and mine with the moddified Garrets, and more so curious to kindly ask the tuners where the difference is supposed to be.

I also drove Dave's car, and to be honest, it felt the same as Stephen's Upsolute performance.

Please Please tell me that there is a bad batch of programming that went out, and that you'd fix the issues. The difference of a retail of $23,000 and $500 needs to be justified.

As a former customer of Stephen at Imagine and Todd's, I know that they are good people with good intentions, and do great work. Therefore, do not take this post as something to defend.

Just help us understand what to do, when we're all puzzled.

OR ......... Upsolute = Stage 4 GT performance??? If so, than that is the most underrated chip, and the best bang for the buck.

-Shank

LSM 02-10-2004 11:51 AM

Re: A Stage 4GT Lunch Cruise- Still Puzzled

Originally posted by ShankGT2
Just met up with Dave (996TTR) and decided to test some passes with our cars during the lunch hour.

Dave: Seal Gray Stage 4GT, Zero Clearance Turbos running Pump Gas, Stock Exhaust.

Me: My GT2 Stage4GT, Garret Turbos, Pump Gas, Fabspeed Quiet.

First, I want to clarify something. When I ran last time with stephen, I really didn't monitor the boost guage that much. When I glanced at it, I saw 1.0, 1.1. Today I made an effort to. My car, in 3rd was steady at 1.0, then 1.1 and when shifted to 4th, it maintained steady 1.4. So I doubt there was a boost leak.

Both Dave and I experienced a dead zone in 4th gear and then a tad bit of surge there after, then ready for upshift to 5th. Dave thinks it might be normal, and related to the variocam.

Dave and I launched bottom of 3rd and into the top of 4th, and aside from a tad bit of traction issues, we were both neck and neck. We did this about 4 times, and once into 5th. - Same Results....identical performance.

Curious to know why his Stage 4GT had the Zero Clearance, and mine with the moddified Garrets, and more so curious to kindly ask the tuners where the difference is supposed to be.

I also drove Dave's car, and to be honest, it felt the same as Stephen's Upsolute performance.

Please Please tell me that there is a bad batch of programming that went out, and that you'd fix the issues. The difference of a retail of $23,000 and $500 needs to be justified.

As a former customer of Stephen at Imagine and Todd's, I know that they are good people with good intentions, and do great work. Therefore, do not take this post as something to defend.

Just help us understand what to do, when we're all puzzled.

OR ......... Upsolute = Stage 4 GT performance??? If so, than that is the most underrated chip, and the best bang for the buck.

-Shank

I am curious to know the same. In essense, it also proves Upsolute=Stage2=Stage4gt in real world performance? I mean if Shank and I are neck in neck, where is the extra 150hp over my car and his car is substantially lighter than mine. My follow-up is also not intended to flame or aggrevate anyone, I simply would like to know why this "dyno'd" hp and torque does not translate to any appreciable gain on the steet?

Lou

996TTR 02-10-2004 11:51 AM

Shank,

I must say that although it was fun to run on the highway, I am now equally depressed and confused.

If the Upsolute car with stock K16 turbos is running equal to your car(and mine) then there is definitely some questions that need to be answered.

I am also wondering why you are running the Garrett turbos? I was told the Zero Clearance were better.

I will ask Stephen at Imagine.

LSM 02-10-2004 11:55 AM

Re: A Stage 4GT Lunch Cruise- Still Puzzled

I am curious to know the same. In essense, it also proves Upsolute=Stage2=Stage4gt in real world performance? I mean if Shank and I are neck in neck, where is the extra 150hp over my car and his car is substantially lighter than mine. My follow-up is also not intended to flame or aggrevate anyone, I simply would like to know why this "dyno'd" hp and torque does not translate to any appreciable gain on the steet?

Lou

996TTR 02-10-2004 11:55 AM

Lou,

Nothing against you or your car, but if I was to run your car on the highway and not be able to pull 2 car lenghts from 60-120MPH, I would be pissed.

Your car is supposed to be 120 horsepower less then mine. That should equal better acceleration.

I am going back to my corner to suck my thumb.

LSM 02-10-2004 12:03 PM

Originally posted by 996TTR
Lou,

Nothing against you or your car, but if I was to run your car on the highway and not be able to pull 2 car lenghts from 60-120MPH, I would be pissed.

Your car is supposed to be 120 horsepower less then mine. That should equal better acceleration.

I am going back to my corner to suck my thumb.

Dave, no offense taken buddy, I would be pissed as well. I do not know if you saw my previous post on our mini, mini meet Sunday, but all our cars were very comparable. We lined up and went head to head at least 4 times each. None of the Porsche's, Shank's stage 4gt GT2, my Stage 2 Turbo, or Stephen's Upsolute Turbo pulled on the other. As I said before, the cars were even with the huge edge going to Stephen becuase he paid $500 for the chip and the car he bought already had an exhaust. Total out of pocket: $500.00 Not a bad deal for him. Kudos. Looks like I ought to be sucking my thumb as well. :mad:

Lou

996TTR 02-10-2004 12:10 PM

Lou,

I do not want to even mention how much money is in my car. I wish we had cliffs here like they do in California. That way I could just drive my car off the edge of a cliff if the Upsolute car kept up with me.

Well at least Shanks and my car look good going down the highway.

ColorChange 02-10-2004 12:37 PM

Oh my god am I watching this thread! Lot's of splainen Lucy!

Duane 02-10-2004 12:47 PM

Sounds like something is wrong. I have zero clearance and running stage 4 software. I have raced Stage 3's and other modified cars and they do not stand a chance especially from third grear. Off the line because of the gearing in the Turbos First and second will be very close, also depends who gets the jump. Third is usually where you will see the difference.

LSM 02-10-2004 12:52 PM

Originally posted by ColorChange
Oh my god am I watching this thread! Lot's of splainen Lucy!
To be honest, I was hoping that Shank's car was simply losing traction and that on a warmer day things would be different, which I am sure they will. However, Dave has a turbo which should have the same traction as my car.

Lou

LSM 02-10-2004 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Duane
Sounds like something is wrong. I have zero clearance and running stage 4 software. I have raced Stage 3's and other modified cars and they do not stand a chance especially from third grear. Off the line because of the gearing in the Turbos First and second will be very close, also depends who gets the jump. Third is usually where you will see the difference.
Duane,

Is it a huge difference? I had been contemplating upgrading from my stage 2 to stage 4, but am very skeptical to say the least in light of recent events.

Lou

ColorChange 02-10-2004 12:56 PM

Lou

Have you run against bone stock tt's since you said you were dead even with Upsolute.

996TTR 02-10-2004 12:56 PM

Duane,

We are not crazy. The cars run side by side. Not even a quarter car length difference. I have the Zero Clearance turbos too and am running 1.4 boost.

996TTR 02-10-2004 01:00 PM

Lou,

I have got some cheap Stage 4GTR software for sale. Incredible performance. Don't pay any attention to my previous post. I was only running 1/4 throttle against Shank.

It's all about how well you remove the wrapper off the sucker.

I think we need to go out drinking.

LSM 02-10-2004 01:06 PM

Originally posted by 996TTR
Lou,

I have got some cheap Stage 4GTR software for sale. Incredible performance. Don't pay any attention to my previous post. I was only running 1/4 throttle against Shank.

It's all about how well you remove the wrapper off the sucker.

I think we need to go out drinking.

hilarious hilarious hilarious

Sorry, don't mean to laugh.

Lou