Thoughts on driver side race seat w/stock pass. seat!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts on driver side race seat w/stock pass. seat!

For those of you that track your car regularly but still drive it on the street, what are your thoughts about having only the driver's seat a true racing seat w/harness while leaving the passenger seat stock?

Considerations:
- I didn't like the feel of the stock seat/restraint at the track and as I transition to a stickier tire, I'd like to be as planted in the seat as possible.
- My street/track mileage will likely be 95% Street/ 5% Track (2-3 events / year), so I'd like to keep the passenger comfort as reasonable as possible.
- I recall reading something about "equal" restraint systems at DEs for driver/passenger so not sure if driver's side race seat/harness vs. stock passenger seat/seatbelt is an issue.
- I have a TQ full rollbar in the car.

Questions:
1) Do DE rules allow for a driver side racing seat & harness w/stock passenger seat/restraint?

2) What are your personal thoughts on this? Not fair to the passenger at the track? Looks weird?

Thanks, TK

Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
driver8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tvr-4
- I recall reading something about "equal" restraint systems at DEs for driver/passenger so not sure if driver's side race seat/harness vs. stock passenger seat/seatbelt is an issue.

Questions:
1) Do DE rules allow for a driver side racing seat & harness w/stock passenger seat/restraint?
For DE's you must have equal restraints for both the driver and passenger. Therefore if the driver has a race seat and harness the passenger must have a race seat and harness. 5 or 6 point harnesses are not allowed with stock Porsche seats. The seats must have a pass-through hole for the sub-belt and shoulder harness.

Not knowing what run group you are in, as an instructor I would never get in a car where the driver has a race seat and harness and I would be riding in a stock seat with a 3 point belt.

There is some debate whether both race seats have to be of the same make and model (i.e. a Recaro race seat on one side and a Spaco race seat on the other). I would check with the organization running the event if you decide to go that route.

I would suggest looking into a set of GT3 seats. They are comfortable enough for the street, and have all the necessary pass-thoughts for harnesses. Make sure you get genuine Recaro GT3 seats, not the replicas.

Last edited by driver8; 12-21-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Very helpful, thank you!!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Every region is a little different on this. Check the DE rules with the group you will run with first. Some DE instructors will not ride in a car with 3 pt belts. Personally I have no problem with it if the air bag system is intact and I have confidence in my student to follow instructions.

My car is set up for Time Trials with a comp. seat in the driver position, 3pt belts, and the rest of the interior is stock. It probably does look a little weird with 1 comp seat but it's my car, my choice.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Interesting, any pics?

Thx for sharing.