6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

cjv 01-23-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rduffyt
Chad,

use this site next time to upload your pictures: http://sholnay.com/upload/

The problem with imageshack is the pictures won't stay active for very long (the links will expire)...but with the link I gave you, they will last a long time. Not many people use it, and thats a good thing because the pictures load alot faster, etc. Copy/Paste the link(s) it gives you after you uploaded the pictures...then the pictures will show up in the thread rather than the people having to actually click on a link to look at the picture!

-Ryan

Ryan,

The above link doesn't respond. :mad:

cjv 01-23-2006 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by rduffyt
the fact that you used so many smilie faces in that one post shows that you are getting excited ... which makes me excited too!:)

Yes, we believe the problem has been resolved. :D The solution could break new ground for the street 996tt's with the turbo GT3 motors. :cool:

This really had me worried for awhile that we had hit a dead end street.

cjv 01-25-2006 08:52 PM

I know that motor mounts have been addressed on these cars. I'm really surprised with all the high hp 996tt's running around out there that the tranny mounts haven't already been addressed by someone. :confused:

sharkster 01-27-2006 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
I know that motor mounts have been addressed on these cars. I'm really surprised with all the high hp 996tt's running around out there that the tranny mounts haven't already been addressed by someone. :confused:

Very cool! I might nab me a set next time I'm in the area and taking stuff out;)

TT 01-27-2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
Ryan,

The above link doesn't respond. :mad:

try it again, might have just been a freak thing when you tried it.

It has never once not loaded for me... ;)

TT 01-27-2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
Yes, we believe the problem has been resolved. :D The solution could break new ground for the street 996tt's with the turbo GT3 motors. :cool:

This really had me worried for awhile that we had hit a dead end street.

Very exciting to hear!! :cool:

cjv 01-27-2006 09:17 PM

We have received our cams, cam housings, gears, etc. today. We started with variable lift intake cams and variable timing. :( We then tried non variable lift intake cams with variable timing. :mad: We settled on non variable lift intake cams and non variable timing. The exhaust cams were designed to marry with the intakes. The lift and duration is to die for. :) The power range will start around 2,800 rpm's and peak at 8200 rpm's. Idle will be a little rough, however once out of idle she will purrr.

Motor assembly will start very soon. I know we have all heard this before. hilarious

Captain Tal 01-27-2006 09:48 PM

This thread could serve as a research topic on extraordinary applications of the Porsche Flat-6 engine.

03-turbo911 01-28-2006 05:54 AM

This is going to be one unique motor! The thought that went into every little detail of KA is almost staggering.

cjv 01-28-2006 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
This is going to be one unique motor! The thought that went into every little detail of KA is almost staggering.

Thanks for the kind words 03-turbo911. :)

The truth of the matter is we bought two cases, three sets of valves, three sets of rods, two sets of pistons and two sets of cams. This was all due to a learning process :eek: "After thought" may be more appropiate in some circumstances. :o

Rob King at S Car Go Racing is very, very good. It's just we were entering new territory with this motor. In addition, we have received help from four other very talented individuals in the industry. I will mention their names in due time. :)

03-turbo911 01-28-2006 02:22 PM

Comes with the territory if you're exploring new ground. What I like about your project, and what seperates it for me from the others, is that you're leaving no corner unturned. Upgrading everything to handle the power and not cutting corners by saving a few bucks here and there.

cjv 01-28-2006 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Comes with the territory if you're exploring new ground. What I like about your project, and what seperates it for me from the others, is that you're leaving no corner unturned. Upgrading everything to handle the power and not cutting corners by saving a few bucks here and there.

03-turbo911,

The "new ground" parts on this motor are:

a) 962 Oil Pump
b) GT3R crank utilizing smaller diameter journals and oval berings
c) Inconnel Valves
d) Boat tailed case
e) Ceramic coated piston tops, combustion chambers and exhaust ports
f) Cams which do not utilize variable lift or variable timing. The accuators are being eliminated. The ECU programs will eliminate vario lift and timing.
g) Ductile iron liners for 102 mm CT pistons designed to accomodate 900 turbo hp plus a progressive 250 shot of NOS. Full boost should occur @ 2800 rpm's and run through 8200 rpm's.

We believe we have addressed all the weak spots. We'll find out in a few months. Looking back on what you said ............ with the cams we are now using there is not one stock 996tt part left in the motor from the intercoolers to the exhaust. :eek:

03-turbo911 01-29-2006 12:22 AM

cjv, that's quite a list and I'm not surprised that you didn't carry over any parts from the 996 turbo. In the last statement, I meant that KA, as a whole, not just the engine. Alot of thought has gone into every little detail.

cjv 01-30-2006 09:41 AM

03-turbo911,

I don't believe many people realize items like the intake manifold between the throttle body and the heads, case and head bolts, wrist pins, journal bearings, piston rings, head gaskets,etc have all been examined and new and hopefully better parts manufacturered.

If a Porsche mechanic (most of them anyway) was to open this motor he would probably just shake his head in confusion. hilarious

cjv 02-06-2006 04:34 PM

The motor is coming along very nicely. Although I can't go into any more details regarding the cams I felt it important to give credit where credit is due. If it wasn't for the help of Loren Beggs, the owner of 911 Design, we would still be looking for an answer. Loren has to be one of the sharpest Porsche guys I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. The Porsche owners in Southern California are very fortunate to have Loren's and 911 Design's talents. :)