Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Jean,

I understand your train of thought. I also understand the physics of IC's pretty well. I happen to have a pretty good set that we ran at several tracks with full feed back (ambient temps, temps in and out of the IC's and delta's) down the straights, into the turns and out of the turns. KA ha always been set up for handling foremost.

If you can provide the test conditions and and efficiency index for these conditions I will conduct the same tests on my IC's. It will be back on the engine dyno in December. From what I have seen to date, I believe the genie is out of the bottle. Even if we are wrong, the gains from this process are staggering.

Let's stop rah rahing for a certain team or manufacturer and strive to find the actual truth based on some sort of a quantitive test. I really have no problem is saying I'm wrong. I do know we have taken a very good set of IC's and made them much better by applying a heat dispersant coating. This is a fact. I dare say that if you applied this same coating to your existing IC's you would very much notice the difference.
CJV, I totally agree on that last post. Since day one you've been very open about what you've done. Shared so much just because you can and I know that with it comes a price- not just financial but it means you have to be the one that often has his car under the knife. I'd have to say 9/10 things you've told me have been dead on and the 1/10 has been almost dead on... I don't know 100% that those guys coat the cores like that but if you were able to find out and it gave significant improvements in terms of efficiency then for the small cost I'm sure as hell going to try it next time my IC's are off...

Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Jean,

Actually, they are a Hybrid GT35R. The power was there and it surprised everyone.

Plenty of hp? Maybe, I'll tell you after the GT40R turbo's have been tested. Actually, I have a little problem. Purely power, the GT40R's look like the way to go followed by the GT35R's. Obviously, these wouldn't work well on the track. The GT30R's have great response but they run out of poop just as the cams are starting to really come alive (around 6700 rpm's).

Do you have any suggestions?
Use one GT35R and one GT40R Best of both buddy... Too bad our ECUs/set ups don't allow for that. The RX7 was interesting like that.

Last edited by sharkster; 11-09-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:25 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Use one GT35R and one GT40R Best of both buddy... Too bad our ECUs/set ups don't allow for that. The RX7 was interesting like that.
sharkster,

It appears that between the displacement and the cams we will have to use a hybrid GT40R or larger.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

It appears that between the displacement and the cams we will have to use a hybrid GT40R or larger.
Chad,
'Did I call that one or what' ....Great decision!!! Cant wait to post a low 3 second 60-130mph...

Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 AM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Chad,
'Did I call that one or what' ....Great decision!!! Cant wait to post a low 3 second 60-130mph...
Sorry, but damn

You guys are nuts, and I like it

Old 11-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

That will be like flipping the switch when the boost comes on. Way cool project man when you get it done I will come to San fran just to check it out

Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis
That will be like flipping the switch when the boost comes on. Way cool project man when you get it done I will come to San fran just to check it out
JP-S-St.Louis,

Actually, the power is rather linear. Yes, the turbo's start to spool at about 4400 rpm's and really take off around 6400 rpm's. But the jolt is disguised because the nitrous activates at 2600 rpm's under WOT. It is programmed to start with a 10 hp shot and adds an additional 10 hp shot every tenth of a second. It continues to add nitrous until it attains a 200 shot (two seconds) where it levels off until WOT is released.

In other words the turbo's feather in and then they add power. Their is no violent kick when either the nitrous or the turbo's activate. The two systems compliment each other.

Last edited by cjv; 11-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cjv
JP-S-St.Louis,

Actually, the power is rather linear. Yes, the turbo's start to spool at about 4400 rpm's and really take off around 6400 rpm's. But the jolt is disguised because the nitrous activates at 2600 rpm's under WOT. It is programmed to start with a 10 hp shot and adds an additional 10 hp shot every tenth of a second. It continues to add nitrous until it attains a 200 shot (two seconds) where it levels off until WOT is released.

In other words the turbo's feather in and then they add power. Their is no violent kick when either the nitrous or the turbo's activate. The two systems compliment each other.
that is just awsome...I would have never thought of doing the nitrous and turbo togather like that...very cool.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
that is just awsome...I would have never thought of doing the nitrous and turbo togather like that...very cool.
Chasen1211,

This was the reason many extra steps were taken that otherwise could have been bypassed. Steps like Inconnel valves and coated combustion chambers, exhaust ports, piston tops, valves and valve springs to control the heat.

To allow the motor to live ...... things like three index oil pump, stronger case, made to order pistons, rods, tappets, valve springs and larger diameter valve stems just to mention a few.

To allow for less friction and internal windage .............. things like coating valve stems, piston skirts, berings and oil pump gears. The crank was knife edged and the case boat tailed. These little things really pick up small amounts of hidden hp as a bonus.

When we started this project our dream was to design and build a motor with the power somewhat like the old Porsche Can Am monsters.

The nitrous is not essencial to this motor. The motor does not depend on it for power. It is was to assist the turbo's.

Last edited by cjv; 11-12-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cjv
Chasen1211,

This was the reason many extra steps were taken that otherwise could have been bypassed. Steps like Inconnel valves and coated combustion chambers, exhaust ports, piston tops, valves and valve springs to control the heat.

To allow the motor to live ...... things like three index oil pump, stronger case, made to order pistons, rods, tappets, valve springs and larger diameter valve stems just to mention a few.

To allow for less friction and internal windage .............. things like coating valve stems, piston skirts, berings and oil pump gears. The crank was knife edged and the case boat tailed. These little things really pick up small amounts of hidden hp as a bonus.

When we started this project our dream was to design and build a motor with the power somewhat like the old Porsche Can Am monsters.

The nitrous is not essencial to this motor. The motor does not depend on it for power. It is was to assist the turbo's.
as they say, better safe than sorry...it's good to take these extra precautions, it is definetly the right way to do it imo. Like most people, I just can't wait to hear about the final product...

Old 11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
cynicali is infamous around these parts
i adore this thread and have enjoyed the updates for some time now.
but i have a question...
how is it going to be possible to deliver all that power to the ground?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by cynicali
i adore this thread and have enjoyed the updates for some time now.
but i have a question...
Not sure. Never had that much power before. We changed all the gears, added LSD's front and rear and intend to use 295's in the front and 335's on the rear.

Alot will have to do with what gear it's in and what rpm it's at when you open her up.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:40 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Can I ask what date you are speculating the car will be complete as of this moment?

Last edited by cjv; 11-15-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by cynicali
Not a big problem with Motec...each gear has a different Map...you can program boost, timing and fuel along with setting the traction control for each gear....In other words, I can go WOT in every gear in my car without breaking the tires loose...and that car lays down 1600 to the wheels!

CJV-
In my 996 turbo, when I hit the NOS I get instant boost and the car hits hyper space!! How did you get linear controll?????

Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Chad, I just want to say....i still love seeing this project, I remember when you first started it and have been following closely since. keep up the good work mad man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring