Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
As a comparison, here is a pic of a bottom shot of our previous piston design versus the plastic mock up.. The webs are different. The wrist pin cradle no longer protrudes past the base. The skirts are an interesting design. The rods will feed oil to the wrist pins and to the piston oil chambers and out the bottom of the pistons which will in turn cool the pistons by transfering the heated oil away. Rods will be treated with a an oil repelling coating to keep and additional weight off of them. The rod material is double melt 300M steel which is the strongest steel available in the world. Stronger steel translates to less steel required which really brings down the weight of the rod.

The result of all this is far cooler pistons which allow for more timing with s higher tolerance for detonation.

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Chad,

We drew up the Rod so we can print a RP part for Rob’s moch up. These are made of plastic jut like the Piston. Rob can assemble the engine with these, rotate the engine and check the clearance on the Oil pump, 1st Motion shaft and check the piston to valve clearances. If there is any problems, he can remove material of the Rod cap and lower the valve Pockets, then send the parts back to me and we will modify the drawing. Then the proper parts can be made as required.

I will forward photos of the parts as soon as they are ready. The Piston is in the ultrasonic tank after coming out of the printer and the Rods is almost finished in the printer. I just checked and there was 20 mins left to print.

I went ahead and did the Rod as I knew this would be the most cost effective way to make sure we got everything correct. There is cost for the Rod. I drew up the Rod and printed the part and the cost for this is $ 490.00. I hope this is Ok. The cost to draw up the rods and have them made, only to find we have a problem upon assembly is too high not to do this checking.

Nh

The final design will make use of every available mm to lighten, add and improve the performance of the rods and pistons.

Last edited by cjv; 05-10-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
cjv
We might as well be designing this 4.6L full race motor as competition against the factory. This is not unlike a F1 mock up. We will use every available bit of space to our advantage with the design from the bottom up.

These are the mock up parts that Rob at S Car Go will assemble and add or take away material to any area that is required.

Last edited by cjv; 05-10-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
cjv
There are a ton of tricks in the design of these pistons and rods. The trained designer will pick a lot of this up ...... fortunately, not all of it. I wonder when copies will start showing up?

Our current goal, or wish is 1800 hp @ 2.5 bar. This motor should put out more torque than most 996tt's put out hp. Don't be too hard on us if we fall a hair short. On the other hand, most people building these engines replace the rods for safety, we are at the ragged edge of needing to design a new case for the same reason.

It won't be much longer until we all find out. It's been a long trail with many twists since KA bent all six rods back in February 2004.

Last edited by cjv; 06-27-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Bill W is on a distinguished road
That is a really cool mock up Chad. Hope the rest of the build goes smooth. 1800hp is a serious number, I remember when you said that you would be happy with 1000hp.

Chad on a unrelated subject did Robert Linton ever finish his car?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Bill W
That is a really cool mock up Chad. Hope the rest of the build goes smooth. 1800hp is a serious number, I remember when you said that you would be happy with 1000hp.

Chad on a unrelated subject did Robert Linton ever finish his car?
Bill,

You are spot on. You have also been around for a good many years.

When KA appeared in the April 2004 issue of Excellence the closing paragraph said our lofty goal was 1000 hp. Back then we anticipated using 1.5 to 1.8 bar to get there. To put things in perspective, I can remember back in late 2000, early 2001 when we were striving for 500 hp and that was a major undertaking. There is another way of looking at this motor. The rods were the weak link on these motors about five years ago, the case is now the weak link on this motor. We may have to dial the boost way down. A thousand or so hp @ 1 bar with more available if desired will be a handful. I really can't see more than 750 hp being usable on most tracks and that could be tapped @ .5-.7 bar.

Yes, once upon a time 1000 hp was our goal. Since then we all have watched as the goal has been met and surpassed by a number of people. All the while we have kept increasing our own goal. Over this time I met a number of very talented engine builders. People like Loren Beggs and Todd Knighten have solved some very difficult problems. Then I met Neil Harvey, Neil worked in Germany with Porsche Motorsports and then left and started on his own. Neil has also been very instrumental in squeezing every available ounce of power out of the 996tt frame. More importantly, he has engineered longevity into this build.There physically is no more room available in the case, liners, heads, cams, etc. to go any larger. Then again ............... someone may prove me wrong. If they do, my is is off to them.

On the other note. I have lost contact with Mr. Linton. I do not know the present status of his car. There is another extremely talented individual with off the scale ideas.

Last edited by cjv; 06-27-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 AM
cjv
Where are we now?

The mock up piston and rods have been shipped to S Car Go Racing for assembly and final clearance check. Piston and rod clearances will be checked, areas that need clearance will have the material removed to exacting tolerances and critical areas where materials can be added will be noted.

Once S Car Go Racing finishes their work the information will be sent to Performance Developments and final production of the pistons and rods will commence.

The mock up is really important because to help get to the 132.X mm rod length we made a 2.5 mm shim for the liner housings. This makes the stock timing chain a little tighter. We need to verify that the timing chain can be installed, otherwise a new timing chain will need to be designed and made.

Last edited by cjv; 06-29-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 PM
cjv
Changed plans again today. Performance Developments will do the mock up. S Car Go will do the final assembly.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Very intense build and research, wow. Can't believe I never saw this thread or anyone led me to it. All I can say about the head flow rate and lifts, DAMN!!!! Best of luck Chad, it looks like you know what you are doing and some......Can't wait to see what this beast does when it comes alive.
cheers

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
very intense thread.
So Rob is doing the engine assembly and install 4 u?

Great project!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by art4iza
Very intense build and research, wow. Can't believe I never saw this thread or anyone led me to it. All I can say about the head flow rate and lifts, DAMN!!!! Best of luck Chad, it looks like you know what you are doing and some......Can't wait to see what this beast does when it comes alive.
cheers
art,

The motor has changed direction several times over the last five years. A few versions have been engine dyno tested. We know just under 1500 fwhp can be developed. That isn't to say she would be very road friendly.

This was the reason for deciding to up the displacement. We have utilized so very strong material for the liners in addition to varying the liner wall thickness to get to the 105.7 bore. There just isn't any more room for a larger bore in the current case. Same thing with the crank. The 82.4 mm is as large as you can go taking in the constraints of rod/piston angle, rod length as it relates to rod speed and crank to case, piston skirt and oil pump clearance.

In addition, boxer motors are very smooth to about 7000 rpm's. As they advance toward 9500 rpm's they become unstable and by their very design tend to tear themselves apart. Start putting hugh amounts of hp and torque in these rpm ranges and you are looking for trouble. This motor has the capability of making 1000 hp @ 1 bar. It also has the capability of boosting 2.5 bar. That is if the case will stay together in he upper rpm ranges.

Remember, this motor is built to add nitrous and the recipicating (sp) weight rotating assembly is super light.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Sker66
very intense thread.
So Rob is doing the engine assembly and install 4 u?

Great project!
As it stands right now ......... yes. Neil @ Performance Developments did the heads and their assembly and they are currently doing the mock up and all the clearance and fit verifications.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Quote: "1000 hp @ 1 bar. It also has the capability of boosting 2.5 bar" this will be showtime special event. Correct me if I'm wrong, there will be an increase in 30rwhp by increasing 1 pound of boost level. So what is the goal on this car's HP level? My guess is beyond 1500BHP. One last question, where are you located?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cjv
As it stands right now ......... yes. Neil @ Performance Developments did the heads and their assembly and they are currently doing the mock up and all the clearance and fit verifications.

Are they down here in so Cal?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah from reading the thread it says they are located in Cali.

Originally Posted by Sker66
Are they down here in so Cal?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring