Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sker66
Are they down here in so Cal?
1643 Monrovia Ave. Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Last edited by cjv; 07-01-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Quote: "1000 hp @ 1 bar. It also has the capability of boosting 2.5 bar" this will be showtime special event. Correct me if I'm wrong, there will be an increase in 30rwhp by increasing 1 pound of boost level. So what is the goal on this car's HP level? My guess is beyond 1500BHP. One last question, where are you located?
You are close, but don't forget it also has a 200 shot of nitrous.

I spend most of my time in San Jose, Half Moon Bay (El Granada), Carmel, Sugar Bowl (Norden) ........... CA. and Denver CO.

Last edited by cjv; 07-01-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Damn Chad. You are killing me already man. 200 shot of NOS, holly crap!! Let's see this baby come alive brother, can't wait.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
cjv
Damn Chad. You are killing me already man. 200 shot of NOS, holly crap!! Let's see this baby come alive brother, can't wait.

It is on a programer. We can designate at what rpm it starts and stops through a pill box. Then you can designate how much (how many shot) at start and how much is added ie. every tenth, two tenths or whatever of a second or seconds until you hit the maximum.

You can also override the programer and dump all 200 shot at once.

The pistons have been clearanced for top fuel or nitrous and all parts have been designed to withstand the power and drying effects of the nitrous on the pistons and liner walls. The wrist pins are black carbon coated to eliminate any gaulling and seizing.

In addition the pistons, valves, exhaust ports combustion chambers have been ceramic coated by Swain with a ceramic coating specifically designed for nitrous and top fuel.

As a side note, the head temperatures ran 800 degrees cooler during our dyno tests than they did before the ceramic coatings, piston dome oil chambers, EMD rod work and 962C oilers were incorporated. What this does is allow for far more advance timing on lower or higher octane fuel than is normally possible.

Last edited by cjv; 07-01-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Chad, pardon my ignorance here but the dynos were done on an engine dyno or chassis dyno for these tests?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
cjv
Chad, pardon my ignorance here but the dynos were done on an engine dyno or chassis dyno for these tests?
engine

Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
I think i saw your car at Robs when i purchased my car from one of his customers.
Its DJ,s car of which Rob did the mods.
May i ask whats your budget to do all these highest end mods........if that's cool!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 PM
cjv
I think i saw your car at Robs when i purchased my car from one of his customers.
Its DJ,s car of which Rob did the mods.
May i ask whats your budget to do all these highest end mods........if that's cool!
Sker66,

I never looked at it as a budget. I honestly don't know how much has been spent. I did at one time but that was years ago.

Even if I knew, it wouldn't be a fair number, the reason being we have redone so many parts many times. I say there are enough parts hanging around to finish four or five motors now.

We had ideas like the valves and changed them four times. Same thing with the case, We still have a few cases left. The cams had over 60K in research and design. They were probably the most expensive nut to crack. Other parts were difficult to a lessor degree. We learned early on that the turbo, GT3 Street, GT3 Cup and GT3RSR had many parts where the dimensions were not the same for the same part. Each part has it's own little story as to our mistakes in addition to what we learned from other's mistakes. As time went on I learned to let others take the lead in certain areas. It was far more economical that way.

Looking back, I have been fortunate to meet some of the best minds in Porsche Motorsports along with some of the greatest minds associated with the Porsche boxer motor.

Last edited by cjv; 07-03-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey Chad, just got back from BBi today. Went over to drop off some stuff and I was talking to Betim. He mentioned that Neil also worked on my heads, what a small world bro. How are things moving along?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 PM
cjv
Hey Chad, just got back from BBi today. Went over to drop off some stuff and I was talking to Betim. He mentioned that Neil also worked on my heads, what a small world bro. How are things moving along?
You are in good hands with Neil. He isn't cheap but his work is top notch.

I expect him to have his mock up done next week. At that point the rods and pistons will be released for production. With any luck we should have these parts sometime in August. The rods are being made in Europe. The pistons here in the US.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
For me its very interesting to follow both of your builds and developments of your cars.

Does Neil have as much in depth experience as Rob @ S-Car-Go on the 996TT regarding service and or the best mods that can be done for a given package.

I live in Orange County,Ca. and S-Car-Go is quite far for me to do general service. My only other choice would be GMG Racing but i really don't see them as having the experience with development for the TT like S-Car-Go,Todd at Protomotive,etc.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
cjv
For me its very interesting to follow both of your builds and developments of your cars.

Does Neil have as much in depth experience as Rob @ S-Car-Go on the 996TT regarding service and or the best mods that can be done for a given package.

I live in Orange County,Ca. and S-Car-Go is quite far for me to do general service. My only other choice would be GMG Racing but i really don't see them as having the experience with development for the TT like S-Car-Go,Todd at Protomotive,etc.

I use all three. Rob is one of the very best at assembling a motor, however when it comes to the heads, determining rod lenghts, piston and cam design and construction and terms that increase longevity with items like oilers and 12 mm had studs Neil is the best in my opinion. In my opinion Todd is the best at tuning a motor and extremely good at assembly along with being a pioneer in being able to extract power.

These are my opinions and I'm sure others have their own which could be very valid. Obviously, I have not been able to experience all of them.

With that being said, I believe one of the best and could very easily be at the top of any list is Lauren Beggs. He was instrumental in solving our cam issue and has a wealth of knowledge in all areas.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Of course, Chad has more hands on experience with all this but I have to agree with him 100%. These past two years spending extensive amount of time on the car and going through 3 sets of turbos and 4 different tunes I have to say that Chad knows his game plan well.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:58 AM
cjv
Art,

What we found is the 3.6 liter cannot flow the GT35R to their full potential under any current 996tt boost levels. The 3.8 liter can flow to just under their potential at a very high boost. Go above 4.0 liter and you can make full use of the 35's when the rest of the motors components are in sync flow wise. The 40's go through the same senerial as the 35's to about 4.4 liters. The 42's will make power in the upper rpm's, however the full potential of the turbo is not being utilized ............ even with 4.6 liters.

I believe the best combination would be the 35's with the largest impeller available or the 40's utilizing a smaller wheel. This is based on a displacement of 4.4L's minimum. With this combination, very high boost levels are not required and the response time is amazing.

Last edited by cjv; 07-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I hear you bro, that's is exactly why I changed my mind and went with 3.8L. Look at the new 9ff model with mid-size engine, 4.0L, and twin turbos but not sure what they used. Germans know what they are doing but US has pushed the boundaries of these cars way beyond imagination.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring