6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

cjv 06-24-2005 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Zippy
Chad - how durable are you expecting these various coatings to be?

Mike

Mike,

According to HPC and their track record, these coatings will be there performing well throughout the life of the motor. :)

The space shuttle uses some of the same compounds for the tiles to protect the craft on re entry.

NAPO 06-24-2005 10:35 PM

Originally posted by cjv
The space shuttle uses some of the same compounds for the tiles to protect the craft on re entry.
:eek:That's sick!! It makes sense though because KA will be just as fast as a space shuttle... If not faster!!:cool:

cjv 06-24-2005 10:40 PM

Zippy, here is an interesting test.......................

Performance Technical Report

Subject: Increases in Valve Spring Performance from HPC S01 Coating

Scope:

To determine the reduction in valve spring temperature and pressure losses when coated with HPC S01 solid dry film lubricant.

Test Description:

High Performance Coatings, Inc. (HPC) and Air Flow Research (AFR) built a spin fixture to test and evaluate new valve springs in a controlled environment over a measured period of time. The spin machine consisted of a small block Chevrolet engine driven at the camshaft by an electric motor. The pistons were removed and the timing chain was not installed so that only the valvetrain rotated. The oiling system remained fully functional. Pulley sizes were selected for the camshaft and electric motor so that the engine could be spun to 10,000 RPM for extended periods of time.

Eight AFR triple valve springs for roller tappet cams were coated by HPC with S01 and eight were left uncoated as a control group. Before installation of the valve springs on the cylinder heads pressure was measured at various compressed heights. The springs were then installed on the cylinder heads with a special spring shim thermocouple was installed at the base of the valve springs to measure spring temperature. After cycling the springs were removed and tested again for their height-load relationship to determine loss of tension as a result of use.

Results:

After 90 minutes at 6,500 RPM (300,000 open-and-close cycles) the coated valve springs had lost a maximum of only 3.5% of their original tension. The uncoated valve springs averaged a 15% loss in tension. Temperature of the coated springs was 190° F compared to the uncoated springs 210° F. A reduction of 11%. Oil temperature maintained a steady state of 180° F throughout the test.

These results are due to two benefits of HPC S01 coating. First is the reduction in heat producing friction between the inner and outer coils. Second is S01's ability to attract oil like steel to a magnet, keeping a continuous film of oil on the spring to further reduce friction and draw heat away from the spring.

Many professional NHRA and NASCAR race teams report their HPC S01 coated valve springs last up to three times longer than uncoated springs

cjv 06-24-2005 10:44 PM

Mike, here is some additional info.

Performance Engine Coatings
Pistons and Valves

HPC offers two coatings for pistons and valves that can be used together separately of each other based on needs and some class regulations in racing. HPC's thermal barrier coating (TBC) is applied to the combustion face of the piston and a wettable solid dry film (SDF) applied to the skirt.

Probably no part of an engine undergoes greater thermal shock than pistons and valves. Yet this has no effect on the bonding properties of HPC's TBC which has the same coefficient of expansion as aluminum. Particulates are bonded with an inorganic binder which is unaffected by petroleum products. With a bond strength of 10,000 psi, this coating's non-porous ceramic matrix improves flame travel and combustion efficiency as well as reduces oil temperature and prevents carbon buildup. HPC's TBC process also prevents excessive heat from reaching the piston rings reducing radial tension loss due to the ring overheating. Thermal barrier coating is applied to the combustion face of the valve prevents overheating of the exhaust valve and heat transfer from the intake valve to incoming cool air and fuel, thus providing a denser air/fuel charge. The process works equally well on both two-cycle and four-cycle pistons, and is applicable to new and used parts.

Our HPC S06 is a solid dry film lubricant that is applied to the skirts of the piston to reduce friction and prevent scuffing. This wettable matrix coating is a Molybdenum Disulfide based coating rather than PTFE. Moly is a higher pressure lubricant and does not "cold flow" under pressures exceeding 150,000 psi. Moly also attracts oil, keeping an adequate film on the part unlike PTFE which sheds oil. HPC S06 reduces piston to cylinder wall friction by over 10-times!

HPC S-Series' lubricants are suspended in a thermosetting polymer binder which hardens during curing providing a permanent lubricant unlike break-in Moly, graphite, and other sprays or lubes.

Engine bearings, rocker arms, valve stems, camshafts, gear drives, transmission and differential gears, and other "wet" components are other excellent applications for HPC's S06 coating.

cjv 06-24-2005 10:47 PM

And some more. :D

Technical Report
SUBJECT: Performance Gains from HPC Performance Engine Coatings
DATE: September 24, 2001

Scope

To determine performance gains in the areas of horsepower and torque and from HPC Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC) and Solid Dry Film Lubricants.

Test Description

Street Rodder Magazine (Primemedia, August 2000) used a new GM 350 cubic inch 300 horsepower "crate motor" to determine performance gains using HPC coatings. A Holley intake manifold and 750 CFM vacuum secondary carburetor was used for testing. The baseline dynamometer test was done at Pro Machine of Placentia, California. No adjustments were made to the carburetor or ignition advance curve to optimize the engine, however the engine produced a near perfect averaged air/fuel ratio of 12.17:1 throughout the RPM range.

The engine was then disassembled and selected parts were sent to HPC for coating. The pistons and valves were coated with HPC TBC and S01 coatings. Valve springs, rocker arms and balls, oil pump gears, connecting rod and main bearings were coated with S01. The inside of the valve covers and oil pan as well as well as both sides of the windage tray were coated with S02 to reduce windage and promote oil flow back to the sump area.

The parts were then returned to Pro Machine for reassembly and due to scheduling conflicts dynamometer testing was done at Dyno-Motive, also of Placentia, California. Again, no adjustments were made to the carburetor jetting or ignition advance curve to optimize the engine.

Summary

The HPC coated engine produced 11.8 (5%) more horsepower and 15.5 lb/ft (5%) more torque at 4000 RPM. Even more remarkable was a 13% increase in volumetric efficiency (VE) from 90% to 103% and a 9% reduction in brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) from 0.558 lb/HPhr to 0.508 lb/HPhr. Because of this increase in thermal efficiency the engine "leaned out" an average of 12% (13.62:1air/fuel ratio), showing that further work with carburetor jetting and ignition advance would yield even bigger gains in horsepower and torque, especially in peak figures.

cjv 06-24-2005 10:54 PM

On the "Extreme" coating.

"A drop of 530° C (986° F) impressed everyone and proves that HPC's products really do work."
New Zealand Performance Car Magazine - November 1996

Hot stagnant air under hood--it's a problem worsened today by increased exhaust gas temperatures from leaner air/fuel mixtures, turbochargers and small displacement/high horsepower engines. Combined with aerodynamics designed to pass air over and around the car rather than through it, the solution is HPC's HiPerCoat® Extreme process.

Unlike other 2000° coatings, HiPerCoat Extreme is a true thermal barrier and is even FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) certified.

Benefits
On-track testing has shown as much as a 35% reduction in under hood ambient temperature and more than 50% reduction in component skin temperature. HPC's HiPerCoat Extreme process achieves this by creating a thermal barrier which retains the heat within the exhaust system. In turbocharged applications this coating helps increase turbo boost and spool-up. Independent testing of a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine has shown a 5% increase in horsepower when HiPerCoat Extreme was used on the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe.

Today's leading IRL, CART, NASCAR, IMSA, and F-1 teams use HPC's HiPerCoat Extreme process with winning success, where it easily withstands temperatures reaching 2,500° F. Reduced under hood temperatures help to prolong component life and promote passenger comfort.

The following graph shows the results of a test performed by Marsh Motorsports on a Mercruiser 900 (496 CID Chevrolet). The graph shows temperatures up to 1180 degrees on the other tubes while tube #2 reached a maximum of 420 degrees. The engine produced 913 hp and 860 ft/lbs torque at 6750 RPM.

HiPerCoat Extreme was used on cylinder #2 header tube only. The other 7 were left bare. Readings were taken with thermocouples attached to the header primary tubes 1" from the header flange.

HiPerCoat Extreme is available in the U.S. in the Oklahoma plant only. HiPerCoat Extreme is available in both the Queensland and Victoria plants in Australia as well as the New Zealand facility. Due to pigment stability above 1,600° F semi-gloss black and gray are the only colors available.

"HPC's Thermal Barrier Coating increased turbine speed and boost while decreasing underhood temperatures."

Zippy 06-25-2005 10:00 AM

Uhhhh . .. . . WOW!

Very impressive reports. With the amount of coating you are applying, there should be a significant bennifit.

Mike

cjv 06-25-2005 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Zippy
Uhhhh . .. . . WOW!

Very impressive reports. With the amount of coating you are applying, there should be a significant bennifit.

Mike

Mike,

We are very hopeful the benefit is significant. However, if we gain reliability and longevity we will consider it a success.

As for hp/torque gain, hopefully 40 ponies by itself. If it protects the motor from the added heat of high boost and nitrous it will have been well worth the effort. :)

I only hope we are on the right track. If I told you I knew for sure, ........ I'd wouldn't be very truthful. I know if it doesn't work there will be a few chuckles out there. :( Oh well, I guess it comes with the turf. :rolleyes:

Garey Cooper 06-25-2005 05:30 PM

cjv; just called by HPC and my headers went to UPS today. They are extreme coated black (the 2500f version). I am really looking forward to getting them back and on the car!

Thanks for the advice sir.

03-turbo911 06-26-2005 08:47 AM

Chad, this might sound stupid. How thick is the coating on these parts? Will it affect the way that the engine will come togther or was the coating factored into this.

cjv 06-26-2005 09:19 AM

Originally posted by 03-turbo911
Chad, this might sound stupid. How thick is the coating on these parts? Will it affect the way that the engine will come togther or was the coating factored into this.
03-turbo911,

Good question! I had the same one myself. :) Yes, there is a thickness involved. I understand on everything except the turbo's and headers about 1/10,000th. This is a non issue on the pistons, valves, heads and springs. I can be an issue on the bearings depending on the mock up. If the mock up shows a slightly "loose" condition, then coat them. If it is in spec then don't.

Regarding the headers and turbo's, this again is a nonissue as we only coat the exterior surfaces. :) Oh, the extreme coating used on the headers and turbo's is a thicker caoting.

03-turbo911 06-26-2005 01:57 PM

Thanks for answering that one Chad. I'm not too familiar with these techniques of coating internal engine parts.

cjv 06-26-2005 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Garey Cooper
cjv; just called by HPC and my headers went to UPS today. They are extreme coated black (the 2500f version). I am really looking forward to getting them back and on the car!

Thanks for the advice sir.

Garey,

Once you install the HPC coated headers your fan won't come on much any more. :eek:

cjv 07-01-2005 08:34 PM

Besides the valve and port size does anyone know what other differences exist between the GT3 series and turbo heads?

cjv 07-02-2005 09:55 PM

Originally posted by cjv
Besides the valve and port size does anyone know what other differences exist between the GT3 series and turbo heads?
I can see this is a real interesting subject.............. oh well. I won't bring it up any more. :o