6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

HAMMER502 07-03-2005 01:07 AM

I THINK THAT IT IS VERY INTERESTING,JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.TEACH ME.

oak 07-03-2005 01:27 AM

Originally posted by cjv
Besides the valve and port size does anyone know what other differences exist between the GT3 series and turbo heads?
the type of alloy used?

cjv 07-03-2005 08:36 AM

I did not pose the question with the thought in mind to teach. :o It was posed with the thought of hopefully learning something new. :)

Oak,

I have heard this question about the alloy prior. I can not determine any difference. The valves are different or a better word may be lighter. I know the Cup heads use stainless steel and the R heads use titanium.

I have seen companies like TTP and Ruf use turbo heads and enlarge the valves and port the intakes and exhausts. I used Cup heads and left the valve size alone, slightly CNC ported the intakes and exhausts and had basicly Inconnel valves made and coated the valve faces and stems.

So are is the alloy different? I don't believe so. I believe the blanks are the same. Maybe someone who knows for sure could comment.

The machining of the heads (other than ports and combustion chamber) has differences. There is a groove machined into the 996tt heads that is not used on the Cup or R heads. It would be possible to have it machined in. The purpose of this curved groove is on start up to warm up gasses quicker. In other words it is smog related.

ebaker 07-03-2005 08:44 AM

When RUF, and others, port the turbo heads do they install larger valve seats with the larger valves?

cjv 07-03-2005 08:47 AM

Originally posted by ebaker
When RUF, and others, port the turbo heads do they install larger valve seats with the larger valves?
Yes. I have seen Cup and GT3R size valves installed using turbo heads. These valves are 5-7 mm wider. TTP used this approach with Elliott750's motor.

When you use this approach, you limit available cams and the GT3 uses larger cam housings. The GT3 exhaust cams will fit in a turbo cam housing, however the intake cams will not.

cjv 07-03-2005 08:54 AM

Here is a picture comparison between the two cam housings. The GT3 housing is not only larger, but also beefier.
Turbo Cam Housing (top) GT3 Cam Housing (bottom)
http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/Viso012705_11.jpg
GT3 Cam Housing.
http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/Viso012705_02.jpg
Turbo Cam Housing.
http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/Viso012705_03.jpg

Marc 07-03-2005 08:54 AM

Chad can you finish this car already this thread is huge :)

cjv 07-03-2005 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Marc996Miami
Chad can you finish this car already this thread is huge :)
We're peddling as fast as we can. :o

oak 07-03-2005 09:20 AM

cjv, thanks for the info great stuff. the turbo heads are cast from RR350 alloy, not sure if the GT3 heads are cast from the same stuff. sorry, I haven't been able to keep upto date with your project motor. looks like it's going to be a monster. how far are you from completion? will it ever end to the point you'll be satisfied?

cjv 07-03-2005 02:30 PM

Originally posted by oak
cjv, thanks for the info great stuff. the turbo heads are cast from RR350 alloy, not sure if the GT3 heads are cast from the same stuff. sorry, I haven't been able to keep upto date with your project motor. looks like it's going to be a monster. how far are you from completion? will it ever end to the point you'll be satisfied?
Oak,

Thanks for your added information. The present hold up is the exhaust valves. They were sent to us a couple of months ago in a predominately stainless steel material instead of the super alloy which is predominately Inconnel that we ordered. Manley, who is re making the valves is suppose to have them to us by July 25th. We will lose another two weeks to coating, so we should start assembling the motor in early August and be ready to run by Labor Day.

Will I be satisfied ........... probably not. :rolleyes: However, this will be as far as I'm going with this motor. :)

03-turbo911 07-04-2005 10:00 AM

Originally posted by cjv

Will I be satisfied ........... probably not. :rolleyes: However, this will be as far as I'm going with this motor. :)

I highly doubt it.;)

cjv 07-04-2005 11:05 AM

Originally posted by 03-turbo911
I highly doubt it.;)
03-turbo911,

The motor we are building should be capable of 1200 to 1500 hp. I highly doubt we will use this kind of power very often. My guess is we will dial in one of the programs for 1.1 bar which should be good for maybe 850 hp for everyday use. :D

Sorry if I'm going to disappoint you.

NAPO 07-04-2005 02:02 PM

Originally posted by cjv
03-turbo911,

The motor we are building should be capable of 1200 to 1500 hp. I highly doubt we will use this kind of power very often. My guess is we will dial in one of the programs for 1.1 bar which should be good for maybe 850 hp for everyday use. :D

Sorry if I'm going to disappoint you.

Everyday use, with only 850hp huh.:rolleyes:

You're a P-I-M-P Chad!;)

cjv 07-04-2005 02:20 PM

Originally posted by NAPO
Everyday use, with only 850hp huh.:rolleyes:

You're a P-I-M-P Chad!;)

Everyday use for this car will be:

1) Certain mornings sometime between 12:30 AM and 2:00 AM.
2) Short Sunday drives.
3) The track.
4) The strip.

:o

Zippy 07-04-2005 03:13 PM

Originally posted by cjv
Besides the valve and port size does anyone know what other differences exist between the GT3 series and turbo heads?
They cost more! hilarious

What do I win!:D