Changes to Registration Renewals Due July 1, 2011 and Later

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Exclamation Changes to Registration Renewals Due July 1, 2011 and Later

Did some digging as I haven't received my renewal notice and my tags expire in a week. Found this information on the DMV website.

Budget process at work?

News Release: Customers Urged to Wait for July Bill Before Renewing Vehicle Registration
  • State law requires DMV to implement changes in the billing and renewal process for registration fees due on or after July 1, 2011.
  • NOTE: Fees are still due for registration notices due prior to July 1, 2011.
  • No money will be collected until renewal notices are issued. (Previously renewal fees could be collected up to 75 days ahead of the expiration date and were required to be collected within 30 days of expiration when part of another transaction such as a transfer of vehicle ownership)
  • All customers will be given a 30-day grace period after they receive their registration notice. Penalties for delinquent payment will not be imposed until 30 days after the registration expiration date. (Previously penalties were due the day after the registration expiration date)
  • Law enforcement is aware and will not cite vehicles until the first day of the second month after the vehicle registration expires. For example: A vehicle with a registration expiration date of July 10th would not be cited for delinquent registration prior to September 1, 2011.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/n...lyrenewals.htm

Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Update

My renewal was mailed on July 6th for my July 10th registration date. The notice does give a 30 day grace period for penalties, through an August 8th postmark date; but in doing that, the DMV eliminated the two staged tiers of penalties that are normally available and immediately jumped to the maximum registration fee! I'm sure the DMV anticipates a healthy revenue stream from this temporary change.

The good side of the situation is that my registration fees dropped over 40%! I used the savings this week for a day on the track at Thunderhill...