Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts
How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!

I think most of us on here will find these DIY write ups useful for providing cost effective shipping for wheels, wheels with tires & tires.

FWIW, I've used ShipNex Worldwide Express twice. Both experiences went smoothly!

How to Package & Ship Wheels w/ Tires

Shipping wheels with tires can be costly if you don’t choose the right shipping provider & you pay someone else to package them.

Shopping List

1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes (Home Depot has these for $.69 each)
  2. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
  3. 1000 Feet Stretch Wrap (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
  4. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for 4 wheels)
  5. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 1
Lay Medium Sized box out flat
Cut Box in Half

Step 2
Open up box after cutting in half
Lay cleaned wheel on top
Cut excess material away

Step 3
Place at least 2 sheets of dish foam on face of wheel
Tape dish foam to tire so it doesn't move around

Step 4
Secure large circular piece of cardboard over dish wrap to the face of the wheel.
Cut excess material into partitions that will be used for back of wheel.

Step 5
Use packing tape to secure partitions in place

Step 6
Use 100% recyclable packing wrap to wrap the wheels and tires in any motion (Rocking the wheel back and forth works well)
The tighter the packing wrap, the more secure & protected the wheel will be in transit

Step 7
Repeat 4 times
Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for the most cost effective shipping rates.
Print shipping labels from ShipNex
Attach to wheels & tires (not pictured)
Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store

Step 8
Share with others, avoid high shipping costs from store front retailers & use ShipNex!

Notes:
ShipNex can offer the most cost effective solutions to your shipping needs, because of the wholesale rates available and contracts they hold with FedEx & UPS. ShipNex uses FedEx for Express Shipments & UPS for any Ground Shipments.
When I compared prices to ship a set of wheels & tires (18 x 8.5 w/ 235/35/18 tyres ~210lbs) I was quoted $416 via UPS, $376 via USPS, $308 via FedEx, and $206 via ShipNex to ship from the West Coast to the East Coast.

How to Package & Ship Wheels w/o Tires

Without a tire to protect the rim, special care is needed when packaging and shipping.

Shopping List

1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes: For wheels up to 17 x 8 ($1.12 each @ Home Depot)
  2. Large Size Storage Boxes: For wheels larger than 17x8 ($1.32 each @ Home Depot)
  3. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
  4. 1000ft Stretch Wrap- Optional (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
  5. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for 4 wheels)
  6. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 2
Build box by pulling each opposing corner out, so that the flaps secure themselves.
Generously apply packing tape going both directions.

Step 3
Lay medium size box out flat.
Cut box in half.

Step 4
Open one of the halves and cut that in half.
Lay the wheel on top of the box and cut the excess material away.

Step 5
Use Dish Packing Foam or bubble wrap around the wheel to protect the lips and face of the wheel.

Step 6
Attach cardboard squares to the face and the back of the wheel.

Step 7
Place both wheels in box face to face. (this makes it easier to carry & safer for transport)

Step 8
Secure with packing tape when the box is half closed.
Complete taping with the box completely closed

Step 9
Wrap Stretch Wrap around the corners of the box.
Go across the top and bottom in an "X" pattern covering the tape.

Step 10
Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for the most cost effective shipping rates.
Print shipping labels from ShipNex
Attach to boxes (not pictured)
Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store

How to Package & Ship Tires

Shipping tires doesn't require a box- it's as simple as printing & attaching a label from ShipNex Worldwide Express.

Hope this helps anyone shipping their wheels with or without tires!

Last edited by trackjunkie; 01-08-2013 at 03:12 AM. Reason: New photos, better write up
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Great post.

But FYI, if you don't want to hassle with the trip to HD, cutting up boxes, etc, Tire Rack sells wheel shipping kits for something like $10. Comes with the cardboard rounds and a roll of tape (you'll need more than one). Bit more expensive, but I'd rather spend the few bucks than deal with any extra work

Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Great post which I am sure will be helpful for a lot of members who dread shipping their wheels. Albeit, flipping and packing becomes a lot difficult for heavier wheels, but usually a breeze for all sized porsche wheels as they are super light.

As an added note, I would recommend generously using bubble wrap or styrofoam between the wheel face and the card board as sometimes not having any protection between those may damage the finish on the wheels.

also is shipnex for real? their rates are awesome but I guess you will have to get the wheels picked up...any other member have had any experience with this company?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
and please always clean your wheels before you ship

Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
If anybody wants to try this out and ship me your wheels and Tires I will tell you if they arrive in good condition

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Thumbs down

Wait until one of the wheels get lost in transit or the face gets damaged from rubbing on the cardboard and try to get $ from a no name shipping company. Sometimes you pay for what you get and that packaging material isnt going to be on any approved shipping Material list.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
Wait until one of the wheels get lost in transit or the face gets damaged from rubbing on the cardboard and try to get $ from a no name shipping company. Sometimes you pay for what you get and that packaging material isnt going to be on any approved shipping Material list.
Correct. It is essential to follow the shippers packing guidelines to a T

I've used heavy duty 1/2" tiewraps to bind two wheels with tires 'face to face' . The tire has to be wide enough to prevent the wheel from touching.

You can add 1/4" ply to the 'back side' (4,8 holes around the edges for tiewraps to pass through. Or mount two of those onto a pallet and truck it.

Just a layer of cardboard placed over the wheel will certainly not have any insurance coverage- they want 2 to4" of separation (and packing material) from the item to the cardboard of the box.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
996Jammy is on a distinguished road
prices are definitely better than other options, but as others have asked, has anyone ever tried using them?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
Great post which I am sure will be helpful for a lot of members who dread shipping their wheels. Albeit, flipping and packing becomes a lot difficult for heavier wheels, but usually a breeze for all sized porsche wheels as they are super light.

As an added note, I would recommend generously using bubble wrap or styrofoam between the wheel face and the card board as sometimes not having any protection between those may damage the finish on the wheels.

also is shipnex for real? their rates are awesome but I guess you will have to get the wheels picked up...any other member have had any experience with this company?

Ya I used ShipNex and was able to just drop them off at the UPS store. I asked the girl working there why it was so much cheaper and she said it was because ShipNex gets wholesale pricing. The label that ShipNex provided was a UPS label...

Odd, but they were delivered just fine..

Edit:
I looked at their website again just now, and they said they use a network of shipping providers. I just know I'm never going use a store front shipping retailer.

Last edited by trackjunkie; 07-19-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
loudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud ofloudes13 has much to be proud of
Anyone else try www.shipnex.com?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor
Tread Depot is on a distinguished road
Nice

Nice Post. Only thing we would add, is to use some type of foam barrier betweent the face of the wheel and the box. This will prevent box burn, small surface scratcehs in the paint from the cardboard rubbing against it.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:40 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tread Depot
Nice Post. Only thing we would add, is to use some type of foam barrier betweent the face of the wheel and the box. This will prevent box burn, small surface scratcehs in the paint from the cardboard rubbing against it.
I completely agree. There has to be foam between the cardboard and the wheel or they will get scuffed in transit.

Nice writeup, but a lot of work. Call me and I will sell you the same stuff we ship wheels every day with. $10 plus shipping will get you everything you need shipped to your door.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM
clib is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bonehead
Great post.

But FYI, if you don't want to hassle with the trip to HD, cutting up boxes, etc, Tire Rack sells wheel shipping kits for something like $10. Comes with the cardboard rounds and a roll of tape (you'll need more than one). Bit more expensive, but I'd rather spend the few bucks than deal with any extra work
this is a great tip - wish I'd seen it a month ago would have saved me hours of handicrafting my own. thanks

Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
mudbuddha is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to mention that I saw this thread and tried using ShipNex to ship some tires out the other day and it worked great! I am in MD and the buyer was in NC. I dropped the tires off at a local UPS customer center one day and the tires got to NC the next day!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Site Sponsor
vividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond repute
Great Packaging! That's exactly how we do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!