Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coat or Paint Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
NightStorm is on a distinguished road
Powder Coat or Paint Wheels?

Hi all,

Powder coat or paint wheels?

Which do you prefer and why?

What are the negative and positive parts for each method?

I am new to this aspect of the wheel game and would like input from those who have prior experience in it.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
I'd paint. Someone here once warned me that powder coating exposes the wheels to temperatures they were not designed to handle and can cause weaknesses.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:45 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Painting is much easier. Powder coating is a ***** to repair if you curb or damage your wheel.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Seven77 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Painting Wheels

If you paint 2 stage make sure to apply ample clear coat so future scratches can be wet sanded and buffed out. Make sure to use a reputable shop that knows how to properly prep aluminum.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone considered anodizing wheels? I think my RS4 stock wheels anodized black would look AWESOME...

Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 AM
domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !
While I've never any process applied to my wheels...

if painting - you need to ensure the clear coat will withstand the harsh brake dust from certain brake pad compounds. (Maybe have a thicker layer of clear cost applied?). At the very least, be very diligent about cleaning your wheels all the time.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 AM
fong718 is on a distinguished road
only certain metal can be anodized right?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fong718
only certain metal can be anodized right?
You know those bottle openers every college kid has (colored metal)? Anodized aluminum...

That's why I was thinking it would look sweet on some wheels.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Seven77 is on a distinguished road
Wink Anodizing Wheels

Usually you wont know if a wheel is able to be anodized until stripping it of the current finish. Paint can hide imperfections in the metal that anodizing will reveal. This is especially true on many lower cost cast wheels that can have deviations in material quality. Usually you will have better luck with machined multi-piece or forged wheels because of the higher grade materials used and the great care taken in finishing the surface. If you do have a cast wheel, it helps when it is already a polished and clear wheel so you can see whats going on underneath. If you dont, have the wheels taken to a professional polishing shop. You will be much happier finding out if there will be later issues instead of after you paid for the anodizing.
For reference alot of older car audio amplifiers like Orion were anodized. The metal used for the heatsinks is high quality extruded and machined aluminum. The results are fantastic. Although that is new, clean aluminum stock. Good luck on your reconditioning! Please share pics

Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Seven77
Usually you wont know if a wheel is able to be anodized until stripping it of the current finish. Paint can hide imperfections in the metal that anodizing will reveal. This is especially true on many lower cost cast wheels that can have deviations in material quality. Usually you will have better luck with machined multi-piece or forged wheels because of the higher grade materials used and the great care taken in finishing the surface. If you do have a cast wheel, it helps when it is already a polished and clear wheel so you can see whats going on underneath. If you dont, have the wheels taken to a professional polishing shop. You will be much happier finding out if there will be later issues instead of after you paid for the anodizing.
For reference alot of older car audio amplifiers like Orion were anodized. The metal used for the heatsinks is high quality extruded and machined aluminum. The results are fantastic. Although that is new, clean aluminum stock. Good luck on your reconditioning! Please share pics
Thanks for the tip about the polishing beforehand... The upside to anodizing is the permanence of the finish, but the downside is that it shows the "grain" of the metal. Like you pointed out, if the metal isn't very smooth, all the roughness will show.

I do have another option, but I'll share it once I decide on getting it done.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
i was told the same, powdercoating can change the integrity of the rim from the heat.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Mitchell Sack is on a distinguished road
paint hands down, easier to repair.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
DM1
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
I've done both to my cars. Painting you have more choices of colors. Powder coating is more durable against rock chips.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 PM
SuperVixen is on a distinguished road
I had my Elise wheels painted black a couple months ago and so far so good. It's very easy to touch up if you hit a curb too.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:23 PM
cmont295 is on a distinguished road
got mine powder coated, no problems so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat or Paint Wheels?