Sport Chrono Plus Option for MT ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 AM
zhecks is on a distinguished road
Question Sport Chrono Plus Option for MT ?

Hi all,

I am planning to switch back to a 911 (next Panny) sometime next year (just waiting for Porsche to work out its first year production issues on the 991).

Can someone tell me whether I need the Sport Chrono Plus option if I am getting a 7-sp manual transmission 911 CS? I know Sport chrono Plus package provides "Launch Control" for PDK to maximize the performance from 0-60 mph. Is it required for the MT? If I turn on sport mode, is it the same on the MT?

thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Regardless of your choice of transmission I would definitely get the Sport Chrono Plus. I'd get it mainly for the Dynamic Engine Mounts which Porsche describes as:

"reduces tansfer of vibration from the engine and drive train under normal driving while the dynamic adjustment of the mounts allows for improved stability under load transfer and during high-speed cornering maneuvers".

Last edited by Haku; 07-30-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I have it with my MT 991. The main reason I ordered it was to get the Dynamic Engine Mounts.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
The sport Chrono is a must have IMO ... I think I posted this before, I ordered it at the last minute only because when I ask the manager his opinion on it, he told me he always orders their cars with it.

Now that I have it what many aren't describing is the actual feel that you get with the dynamic engine mounts.

If you are in regular mode the engine feels smoother, when you put it in Sport mode the engine mounts adjust to make the engine feel more in touch with the car, when you put it in Sport + mode the Mounts tighten even more to give the car alot more feel.

Look at the attachment from the Owners Manual to get a better understanding ...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Porsche.pdf (268.0 KB, 583 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Definitely not needed or required with a manual.

First of all the increase in throttle sensitivity can be down right annoying in daily driving, for many it just makes the car more jumpy, not more sporty. It doesn't make the car any faster in normal driving, but has a few benefits on the track. The standard sport button is really all you need with a stick. The dash timer can also be an eyesore depending on what you think of it. (I could do without it for sure)

Now for the dynamic engine mounts/DMEs,....I have extensively tested at least a few examples of each version, with/without DMEs. For just about any street driving they won't be missed. The biggest difference I noticed was that the engine seemed a bit more smooth/muted at idle inside the car, not exactly a so called "performance" benefit, but some may want that. They will offer some advantages in very aggressive street and track driving, but if 95% of your driving does not fall into this category, I wouldn't waste the money, or would spend it on something else you will use every drive or enjoy more. With the last 911 version, Porsche offered a programming retrofit of it from the dealer sans chrono timer and will most likely offer it again sans timer and DMEs.

If possible drive a version with and without, then you'll know for sure. I selected it as my car was ordered with PDK (and even then it's not a must depending on driving habits) and I do some track and like a few of the other benefits S/C offers for it.

Don't just order to order it, think if you will really need and use it....

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 07-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
tgcrun is on a distinguished road
Due to budget constraints, I had to pick and choose my options. SC didn't make the list. We have it on wife's manual 997.2 C4S, and I almost never use it. I don't like the increased throttle response. As stated above, it makes the car jumpy, and I find it hard to get a smooth takeoff when letting out the clutch from a stop and even the 1/2 shift is a bit strange. I'd probably get used to it if I left it on all the time, but that's not gonna happen.

I can't speak to the engine mounts, but since I've never had a car with them, I don't really notice that my 991 doesn't have them. However, I'm still in the break in period, so I haven't really driven the car hard. I have hit the standard sport button in my 991 every so often. It's supposed to increase the throttle response, but it's much smoother than the 997, so the difference between sport and normal is less pronounced. It also seems to make the exhaust sound louder, and I don't have PSE.

Anyway, with or without it, the 991 is one fantastic car.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I have it on my MT 991. IMO the car drives like a Lexus without it, like a 911 with it.

I like it and would not own the car without it.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
I didnt get it on my MT and I don't miss it at all.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
9911 is on a distinguished road
I took it on my 991 MT bc of the DEMs and the "reduced"/"later responsding" PSM in Sport Plus Mode that lets you have a lot of fun but still is there to protect yourself from your missing talent (at least this is the case for me ).

In case you do not have must-haves like full leather, PSE, PCM, ... on your car already, I would take these first though.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
parkerfe is on a distinguished road
I love the sport chrono + on my 991cs 7mt. The cool looking clock/timer on the dash is a nice bonus to the enhanced throttle response and DEM.