Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
991s is on a distinguished road
Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Still breaking my engine in and taking it easy, however, I notice that when I'm in manual mode (PDK) and accelerating in 2nd (gently) the engine hesitates/stumbles around 2500 rpm but it's fine once past 3000 rpm. I don't notice it in any other gear. Is this normal? Is it the throttle bodies opening? Or is it a fueling/ECU issue?

Anyone else seen this issue?

Last edited by 991s; 02-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 991s
Still breaking my engine in and taking it easy, however, I notice that when I'm in manual mode (PDK) and accelerating in 2nd (gently) the engine hesitates/stumbles around 2500 rpm but it's fine once past 3000 rpm. I don't notice it in any other gear. Is this normal? Is it the throttle bodies opening? Or is it a fueling/ECU issue?

Anyone else seen this issue?
Could possibly be the vario cam system as it switches cam profiles. My 997.2 exhibits the same symptoms and the dealer has said on numerous occasions that it's perfectly normal. Still annoying though.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Must only be you and me that have this issue!

It's strange that it's not the same in every gear. It's most noticeable in 2nd and less so in 3rd at the same revs. In 4th or higher I don't feel it at all. Doesn't make sense to me. I dread taking it the dealer to try to show them this symptom.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Must only be you and me that have this issue!

It's strange that it's not the same in every gear. It's most noticeable in 2nd and less so in 3rd at the same revs. In 4th or higher I don't feel it at all. Doesn't make sense to me. I dread taking it the dealer to try to show them this symptom.
I've been waiting to see if anyone else has this issue... no takers though.
I think the dealer may be your only and most sensible option here.
Perhaps try to power through with a few spirited runs and see if that clears it.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
If this persists after completing Sid's suggestion, you might try another dealer and approach it like you just started noticing it so they will evaluate with an open mind and see if they come up with anything else. The injection system has a single injection for idle and double at an increased RPM. Then it triples the injection under full load. Perhaps the 2 injection cycle is not operating properly under partial load and you're getting the triple injection under full load as engineered in the S.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 02-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM
firstmovado2013 will become famous soon enoughfirstmovado2013 will become famous soon enough
My 2009 Carrera had the same issue. I just took it to the dealer and they updated my PDK software which improved the transition between gear 1 and 2 and it eased up the jerkyness at low RPM. It only cost me $160 to update the PDK software. Apparently its common for the 2009 Carreras.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM
firstmovado2013 will become famous soon enoughfirstmovado2013 will become famous soon enough
Since you have a 991 you may already have the most updated PDK software.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
I just tested mine this morning 2013 C4S pdk) and I have no hesitation any gear at any rpm range.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
I was trying it again this afternoon and unfortunately it's intermittent. Sometimes it "stumbles" and sometimes not. Only felt it in 2nd gear when hitting 2500 rpm and by 3000 rpm it's smooth sailing. Shifts are fine. Weird that I only feel it in 2nd.

Could it be MAF sensor? The dealer recently had to replace my "oil-vapor separator and vent line" and I've had this problem ever since. I believe the tech had to remove my intake,etc to do this.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I was trying it again this afternoon and unfortunately it's intermittent. Sometimes it "stumbles" and sometimes not. Only felt it in 2nd gear when hitting 2500 rpm and by 3000 rpm it's smooth sailing. Shifts are fine. Weird that I only feel it in 2nd.

Could it be MAF sensor? The dealer recently had to replace my "oil-vapor separator and vent line" and I've had this problem ever since. I believe the tech had to remove my intake,etc to do this.
What is you oil consumption like before and after the separator replacement? Did you notice a change?

ChuckJ

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
What is you oil consumption like before and after the separator replacement? Did you notice a change?

ChuckJ

I haven't done enough miles to know.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
One thing I've learned over the past couple of years trying to solve my assumed Variocam issues is that if your problem is not throwing codes or a CEL then the dealer is very hesitant to do any troubleshooting. After doing some online research, I found that the tech can use the PIWIS to manually actuate the Variocam system and determine if it is functioning properly. However, in order to get warranty support from Porsche, they would need to be able to justify their troubleshooting work. Long story short (in my case), no codes or CEL, no troubleshooting.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by runner1021
One thing I've learned over the past couple of years trying to solve my assumed Variocam issues is that if your problem is not throwing codes or a CEL then the dealer is very hesitant to do any troubleshooting. After doing some online research, I found that the tech can use the PIWIS to manually actuate the Variocam system and determine if it is functioning properly. However, in order to get warranty support from Porsche, they would need to be able to justify their troubleshooting work. Long story short (in my case), no codes or CEL, no troubleshooting.
Runner is right and that's why I made my comment earlier to take it to another dealer as some dealers, like Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas, are more aggressive, industrious and persevering at finding challenging problems. Just make sure they are not biased by the knowledge that someone else has tried to fix it and failed.

BTW Attached is the torque / power curve. The car should respond relative to the RPMs shown. Note that the slope of the curve is much greater at 4000 (probably why the RPMs are allowed to spin up to near there for quick starts in a PDK equipped car).

ChuckJ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S pwr&torque curves.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	212269  

Last edited by ChuckJ; 02-17-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Absolutely no hesitation/stumble here. Smooth all the way regardless of if I feather the throttle or bury my foot.

Rainier

Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Took my car back to the dealer this morning and the tech came for a drive with me and he could also feel & hear the "stumble/hesitation". He plugged my car into his diagnostics and, of course, no faults or CEL's so I was told to drive it and see if it gets better or worse or goes away!

Techs nowadays don't seem to be able to "think" to try to figure out problems. They just rely 100% on their PC's and diagnostics and if there aren't any fault codes then everything must be fine. In reality it's not.

This was a wasted trip and the outcome was as I expected. However, my engine hestitation remains. Frustrated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?