Does anyone know what the latest PCM is? PCM reboots all day long.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Does anyone know what the latest PCM is? PCM reboots all day long.

My PCM keeps rebooting. On short drives maybe 5 street miles, it rebooted like 3 times. It seems to be getting worst over the last month.

I have PCM 4.52 on a 2014 C2s

What is the latest?

Does anyone know where I can get the latest bulletins on fixes before I bring it in for my 1 year service?

I guess I knew these cars are unreliable :-)

Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Have you had the recent instrument cluster update performed? I can't recall the campaign number, but many on this board have had it and maybe that will help. I can't imagine they wouldn't bring the PCM SW up to the latest rev at the time... I have a '14 C4S and had it done back in June.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by jawells1
Have you had the recent instrument cluster update performed? I can't recall the campaign number, but many on this board have had it and maybe that will help. I can't imagine they wouldn't bring the PCM SW up to the latest rev at the time... I have a '14 C4S and had it done back in June.

I haven't updated the software or anything since I received the car back in late 2013, so I was wondering the version.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frank69m
My PCM keeps rebooting. On short drives maybe 5 street miles, it rebooted like 3 times. It seems to be getting worst over the last month. I have PCM 4.52 on a 2014 C2s What is the latest? Does anyone know where I can get the latest bulletins on fixes before I bring it in for my 1 year service? I guess I knew these cars are unreliable :-)
I went through a period of a few days where it kept rebooting on me... And then it stopped... It seemed like it was related to a few jukebox songs I played..if I played a certain song(s) it was certain to reboot.. But not always exactly the same place.. I have a cd that would do similar...

It isn't completely cause and effect as it seems to have to do with combinations of things... There is most definitely bugs in the PCM software which runs on the blackberry owned QNX os.. Actually I suspect it is related to an audio codec.. So updates can't hurt..

Not saying this is the only bug, but something to do with audio playback is the only way mine reboots..

I haven't had any updates on mine 2014 c2s delivered in jan..

Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by scatkins
I went through a period of a few days where it kept rebooting on me... And then it stopped... It seemed like it was related to a few jukebox songs I played..if I played a certain song(s) it was certain to reboot.. But not always exactly the same place.. I have a cd that would do similar...

It isn't completely cause and effect as it seems to have to do with combinations of things... There is most definitely bugs in the PCM software which runs on the blackberry owned QNX os.. Actually I suspect it is related to an audio codec.. So updates can't hurt..

Not saying this is the only bug, but something to do with audio playback is the only way mine reboots..

I haven't had any updates on mine 2014 c2s delivered in jan..

Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is...I've had the exact same CD that has worked fine for 6 months, but now when I skip forward, it sometimes reboots the PCM. In fact, that isn't the only thing. I was just listening to FM radio and doing nothing and it rebooted, so I'm not sure about the conditions. Porsche needs to improve quality here. None of my Japanese vehicles in the past has had this issue.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Just checked.... v4.52 on my '14 C4S. I just had it in to service a week ago, had all campaigns and updates covered according to the computer, so I am guessing you have some other issue. Perhaps a loose connection wire in the harness? Intermittent reboots could be intermittent power.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is...I've had the exact same CD that has worked fine for 6 months, but now when I skip forward, it sometimes reboots the PCM. In fact, that isn't the only thing. I was just listening to FM radio and doing nothing and it rebooted, so I'm not sure about the conditions. Porsche needs to improve quality here. None of my Japanese vehicles in the past has had this issue.
Yeah I can attest to similar.. I can't directly re-create it reliably, but when it does happen it is somehow related to media playback, or some action related previously.. Such is the nature of software and real time os usage.. I'd be willing to spend time to isolate and document but i know it would be a waste since it is probably some 3rd tear software developer in a 3rd world country that maintains it..

Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Just checked.... v4.52 on my '14 C4S. I just had it in to service a week ago, had all campaigns and updates covered according to the computer, so I am guessing you have some other issue. Perhaps a loose connection wire in the harness? Intermittent reboots could be intermittent power.
Could be but I doubt it... I just think they have a software bug and with the real time os that they use there are an infinite number of combinations of things going on... It just takes one combination to crash.. It seems as if it is usually somehow related to media playback (or previously) ...

Also it often restarts and restores itself to playing the same media that crashed it.. I've done that and just watched it cyclically repeat the crash without touching it..

Btw jawells, different issue but many thanks on your front bumper removal posts... Helped me out yesterday when I had to remove to reconnect a disconnected parking sensor... Your disassembly posts of things are extremely helpful and much appreciated!!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Could be but I doubt it... I just think they have a software bug and with the real time os that they use there are an infinite number of combinations of things going on... It just takes one combination to crash.. It seems as if it is usually somehow related to media playback (or previously) ...

Also it often restarts and restores itself to playing the same media that crashed it.. I've done that and just watched it cyclically repeat the crash without touching it..
Yeah, now that I've been thinking about my own experience the past couple of months, I had a single instance when I put an older CD in and during playback the PCM rebooted. Worked fine after that, so I didn't note. Other CDs no problem, but that one in particular caused the reboot. Maybe in free time I'll do a bit of troubleshooting with various media, see what I can discover.

Btw jawells, different issue but many thanks on your front bumper removal posts... Helped me out yesterday when I had to remove to reconnect a disconnected parking sensor... Your disassembly posts of things are extremely helpful and much appreciated!!
Thank you -- This my friend, is why I just love to pull things apart! I myself have deep appreciation of others doing the same thing, having helped me in all sorts of projects over the years! Happy to hear you found it useful!

I look forward to creating many more DIYs and posting for the benefit of the community....

Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
PCM v4.73
This is on the 2015 models. Had my 2013 already updated, this is the most stable version yet, everything seems to work.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Go123
PCM v4.73
This is on the 2015 models. Had my 2013 already updated, this is the most stable version yet, everything seems to work.

Thanks

Jawells1 went in and got 4.52. go figure. I knew 4.52 wasn't the latest cause that is what I have and mine probably got updated a year ago when they first built it.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks

Jawells1 went in and got 4.52. go figure. I knew 4.52 wasn't the latest cause that is what I have and mine probably got updated a year ago when they first built it.
Yeah, looks like I'll be stopping-by to see my SA buddy later this week. I'll ask him what triggers an update, if one doesn't have the most recent rev. of SW. I specifically asked him last Monday if there were any additional updates and he looked at the computer and told me "nothing else comes up...". Since I recently also had the instrument cluster update, I figured they would update everything. My bad -- for thinking that they think like I do....

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Yeah, now that I've been thinking about my own experience the past couple of months, I had a single instance when I put an older CD in and during playback the PCM rebooted. Worked fine after that, so I didn't note. Other CDs no problem, but that one in particular caused the reboot. Maybe in free time I'll do a bit of troubleshooting with various media, see what I can discover.

Thank you -- This my friend, is why I just love to pull things apart! I myself have deep appreciation of others doing the same thing, having helped me in all sorts of projects over the years! Happy to hear you found it useful!

I look forward to creating many more DIYs and posting for the benefit of the community....
Well, again much appreciated. Also Looking forward to seeing how the nav-TV install goes as well.. I just bought my equipment for the backup cam. I was just in the process of figuring how to get the PCM3.1 out when I saw your post. That looks to be fairly straightforward.

The real thing I'm wondering about is video cable feed to the rear bumper. Through the center tunnel to the back seats looks fairly simple, and I've seen several rear seat removal posts. But not sure exactly where to feed the cable through into the engine compartment. I'm thinking higher up that back bulkhead that the seats attach to or just under the rear shelf, and the routing around the engine. Not just sure yet about that just yet. To date I've seen no one address that installation issue. Alternatively, I was under the car over the weekend and I'm guessing there may be a channel underneath the car (there is a cover/plate under the mid chassis back to the engine that I'm guessing carries the harnesses to the engine area. But getting that cover/off seems to be a pain without a lift).

Anyway good luck..

PS. Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread