Tailgating/aggressive behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
Tailgating/aggressive behavior

Okay--brief rant. I know this subject has been brought up before, but it's usually in the context of other drivers' behavior when around a 911. What I've noticed is more generalized: people tailgate and change lanes with what seems like inches to spare. I notice it when someone is on my rear, and I notice it when I'm following behind and the driver does it to someone else up ahead. And I don't have to be in the Porsche for it to happen. What strikes me as really strange, though, is the person who is often doing it. Sometimes it's the expected 25yo hothead in an Infiniti or BMW, or an aggressive guy who's clearly compensating for something, but oftentimes it's what appears to be a mild-mannered mom out on errands.

So is it subconscious aggressive behavior on the part of these moms, feeling emboldened and empowered in their 5000-lb suits of armor, or is it simply a complete lack of understanding of vehicle dynamics/safe following distance/consequences of hitting someone at 70mph? Some of the things I see are unreal--all it would take would be a slight tap of the brakes by the lead car, for whatever reason, to create a devastating chain reaction.

Is it just an NYC suburbs thing?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Same here in Philadelphia suburbs. Seems that my car has an a$$hole magnet.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Washington Metro area checking in - The a$$hole drivers are everywhere.

They are in their own little world with no concern for anyone else. I really think the glass windows of a car provide some measure of anonymity so these drivers think they can act like complete jerks without repercussions. Maybe if everyone drove convertibles with the tops down all the time we'd have a more polite road experience :-).

Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Probably a bit of both but clearly most people are clueless about the dynamics of their car or the laws of physics. It scares me how close some people come to killing themselves (or others) on a daily basis.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM
HansGT2 will become famous soon enough
Same in California, South and North. Not as bad in Washington state.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:35 AM
97c2s993 is on a distinguished road
From the NY area here and I will chime in too. I just drove to and from Canada this weekend (Ottawa), and can add one thing that I'm sure is causing a lot of this: LEFT LANE BANDITS! It's crazy here in the NY area at least. Up in Canada (and upstate but arguably there is less congestion) people are moving out of the passing lane when faster cars approach. I told my girlfriend in the car yesterday: "You know you're back in NY when...) as I started getting stuck in the fast lane below or just at the speed limit - with plenty of room for the lead car to get out of the way... This is a crazy phenomenon here and I am scratching my head asking myself why?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 AM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97c2s993
From the NY area here and I will chime in too. I just drove to and from Canada this weekend (Ottawa), and can add one thing that I'm sure is causing a lot of this: LEFT LANE BANDITS! It's crazy here in the NY area at least. Up in Canada (and upstate but arguably there is less congestion) people are moving out of the passing lane when faster cars approach. I told my girlfriend in the car yesterday: "You know you're back in NY when...) as I started getting stuck in the fast lane below or just at the speed limit - with plenty of room for the lead car to get out of the way... This is a crazy phenomenon here and I am scratching my head asking myself why?
Agreed. When I drive to Watkins Glen or Lime Rock, or down to NJMP in southern Jersey, the difference is pretty remarkable. Once you get about 40-50 miles outside of the city, lane discipline dramatically improves. People stay to the right unless they're passing. The left-lane squatters definitely create the chaotic, pass-on-the-right, zig-zag lane swerving we see around here.

But some of this tailgating is different. I see it here on Long Island, on local roads like Northern Boulevard or Jericho Tpke, where the speed limit is 40mph, and traffic conditions and common sense should keep people from going significantly faster than that. Moms (and others) ride people's butts, and then slot in between two cars with inches to spare front and rear. All to get to the next stoplight 5 seconds faster.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by paradocs98
Okay--brief rant. I know this subject has been brought up before, but it's usually in the context of other drivers' behavior when around a 911. What I've noticed is more generalized: people tailgate and change lanes with what seems like inches to spare. I notice it when someone is on my rear, and I notice it when I'm following behind and the driver does it to someone else up ahead. And I don't have to be in the Porsche for it to happen. What strikes me as really strange, though, is the person who is often doing it. Sometimes it's the expected 25yo hothead in an Infiniti or BMW, or an aggressive guy who's clearly compensating for something, but oftentimes it's what appears to be a mild-mannered mom out on errands.

So is it subconscious aggressive behavior on the part of these moms, feeling emboldened and empowered in their 5000-lb suits of armor, or is it simply a complete lack of understanding of vehicle dynamics/safe following distance/consequences of hitting someone at 70mph? Some of the things I see are unreal--all it would take would be a slight tap of the brakes by the lead car, for whatever reason, to create a devastating chain reaction.

Same in Texas, except they use pickups.

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Same in Texas, except they use pickups.

ChuckJ
Second that. I've been around a good portion of the east coast Midwest and south, but Texas is ridiculous. I guess it's like competing which state has the fattest population. .. another thing I wont miss about this place.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Usually a Honda Civic or Acura with a MASSIVE exhaust pipe...

Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I may be the exception, but I have not seen too much of this, or at least not more when I am driving the 911. I live in a reasonably nice area North of Atlanta (with a lot of P-car on the streets) and spend most of my time on the road in North GA, NC, SC and East TN.
There would be the occasional Hillbilly in a big truck or the soccer mom's and teenage girls texting in their Suburbans, but I see the same behavior when I am driving my wife's Infiniti or one of the old bimmers. Just bad driving habits.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 AM
2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold
So the next question is how do you react to this.
-Honk your horn
-Toss up your hands
-Flash your headlights
-Ignore

Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 AM
bboatman has a spectacular aura aboutbboatman has a spectacular aura about
Happens all the time to me as well. I noticed it when i went from my m3 to Cayman 5 years ago. Still happens in my 911. I thought it was because my cars where black, and possibility harder to see. But I get the same thing when I drive my wife's bright red cooper. People are just morons, esp in DC/NOVA area.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:28 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 2020
So the next question is how do you react to this.
-Honk your horn
-Toss up your hands
-Flash your headlights
-Ignore
It depends. If I'm in the Porsche, I take it easy and move on. I'm too big of a target in that car. It comes from years of riding motorcycles - I knew that if anyone got p.o.'d at me, it just takes a second for me to become a smear on the pavement.

If I'm in the Mercedes, then there's no telling what kind of stupid crap I'll do. Just last week I slowed down and started screaming at some stupid woman who was texting as she was driving (badly) down the street. One of my pet peeves (I have several).

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by paradocs98

Happened to me today, some lady in my neighborhood all over my ***. Speed limit is 25 but she has some important sh it to get to. I could see the frustration on her face while I crept over the speed bumps and did the speed limit. First day of school, kids waiting at bus stops but she has to go...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tailgating/aggressive behavior