Windshield Washer Over Spray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM
garyharrisgoodman is on a distinguished road
Windshield Washer Over Spray

This is very picky but after all I drive a 991. When I engage the windshield washer it sprays over the top of the car and leaves spots on the rear window, even at a stand still. Its very annoying say a day or two after washing the car. I have a black one so I am even more picky than the usual Porsche fanatic. Also, I live in SoCal so I only use the washers to clear off the dust (sadly, no rain here). Anyone have the same problem? Is there a fix?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
The nozzles are adjustable. I almost never use them, though, for this very reason. A microfiber glass cleaning towel and a small squirt bottle of glass cleaner, among other detailing kit, are always in my cars.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BradB
The nozzles are adjustable. I almost never use them, though, for this very reason. A microfiber glass cleaning towel and a small squirt bottle of glass cleaner, among other detailing kit, are always in my cars.
Wow. Great idea.

You never know what you'll come across on the road. I thought a micro fiber and a little quick detailer would be enough, but you're a true "prepper"!! Nice job.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:55 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by garyharrisgoodman
This is very picky but after all I drive a 991. When I engage the windshield washer it sprays over the top of the car and leaves spots on the rear window, even at a stand still. Its very annoying say a day or two after washing the car. I have a black one so I am even more picky than the usual Porsche fanatic. Also, I live in SoCal so I only use the washers to clear off the dust (sadly, no rain here). Anyone have the same problem? Is there a fix?
Try treating the rear window with something like rain-x. They are really good at repelling water drops and such. If you are driving the drops roll right off the glass without a Mark! I treat all my windows and at speed I dont even need to use the wipers in the rain.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by jawells1
Try treating the rear window with something like rain-x. They are really good at repelling water drops and such. If you are driving the drops roll right off the glass without a Mark! I treat all my windows and at speed I dont even need to use the wipers in the rain.
RAIN? A Porsche in the rain?

Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Pity the car behind us when we spray the front window w/lights on!

BTW, I use Griot's glass sealant (same as Rain-x I think) and seldom use my wipers.....

Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Tina991 is a jewel in the roughTina991 is a jewel in the roughTina991 is a jewel in the roughTina991 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by garyharrisgoodman
I have a black one so I am even more picky than the usual Porsche fanatic.
Your statement is somewhat of a canard. If you were truly "more picky than the usual Porsche fanatic," you never would have purchased a black car to begin with.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:38 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I don't use the washers unless I am driving in the rain. The rest of the time I actually clean my windows with window cleaner and a towel.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I don't use the washers unless I am driving in the rain. The rest of the time I actually clean my windows with window cleaner and a towel.
Same. Don't like the pattern the wipers make on the windshield. Can't even remember when I actually used windshield washer/wiper blades. But then again I live in Nor Cal and we don't have much bad weather or bugs. Just clean the windows when the car is in the garage.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
garyharrisgoodman is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will definitely try the Rain-X. BradB: How do you adjust the nozzles?

Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BradB

I have a black 991 too and I think the kit you made is awesome! You should market that!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
The OCD is strong in this one...

Old 11-04-2014, 07:28 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Don't use the head light washer either if the windshield bother you. They leave a nasty trail along both fenders.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
Are the nozzles aimed high so when at speed, the air stream will force them lower, to hit the mid point of the windshield???

Old 11-05-2014, 10:43 PM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
This happened during my VW days. A pin fixed it, aiming the nozzle down a bit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Over Spray