991 DIY: Third Brake Light Modification

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Curvfun
Outside of North America, German marques do blink the rear lights as a warning sign that there is intense braking being applied to the car. It is activated by a monitored and measured deceleration rate. BMW's do this too. NHTSA does not allow this option to be activated in the states. People in the US with BMW programming software and cables have learned how to reactivate this feature through S/W tweaks. In BMW-land there are many changes that can be made to reactivate features and control functionality that is not normally allowed. I wish we could find the same type of S/W for our Porsches. Window control, locking options, light controls, belt warnings, getting rid of NAV acknowledgments, etc would be just a quick options update away.
How would be safe without all these big brother safety nets? We need the government warning us of all these looming dangers.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Another option is to use the hazards when you come to a quick stop, in highway traffic, etc

Old 11-30-2014, 02:11 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jawells1
I don't think so. What you are seeing in the video is an effect caused by the light emission frequency of the LEDs and frame capture rate of the camera. Someone else on this board is probably much more knowledgeable about this than I am so I may be wrong of course.
Thanks for the explanation, Here I am thinking our cars did this since I first saw this review a couple of years back.

Originally Posted by Curvfun
Outside of North America, German marques do blink the rear lights as a warning sign that there is intense braking being applied to the car. It is activated by a monitored and measured deceleration rate. BMW's do this too. NHTSA does not allow this option to be activated in the states. People in the US with BMW programming software and cables have learned how to reactivate this feature through S/W tweaks.

In BMW-land there are many changes that can be made to reactivate features and control functionality that is not normally allowed. I wish we could find the same type of S/W for our Porsches. Window control, locking options, light controls, belt warnings, getting rid of NAV acknowledgments, etc would be just a quick options update away.
I didn't know they had this outside the USA, I'd think it has to be safer to have it as opposed to not ... thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Finally got mine installed yesterday.. Thanks again to Jawells as I didn't really have to think much on this one. One wire cut and some splicing in.. <30 minute job to do the work.

I installed the Kahtec module, the version which blinks and then won't blink again until the brake pedal has been released for at least 8 seconds (although it seems more like 10 seconds on mine).

One comment that maybe got covered previously but I didn't notice until now. (note this has nothing to do with the module itself just they way the 3rd brake light works)

when you have the rear wing up... The 3rd brake light on the engine lid is inactive (only the 3rd brake light on the wing is active. lol maybe we should call this the 4th brake light)..

The significance is that if you happen to have the wing up when doing the work like I did, and don't realize the 3rd/4th brake light works this way, you are liable to think you wired something up wrong or the module was bad. Took me a while to realize this was what was happening since I didn't even realize there was a 4th brake light anyway.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should try to use another module for the 4th brake light. I installed mainly to avoid rear-ends at stoplights and low speed but may investigate the wiring to see if there is an easy place to get at it..

Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Scat - this was actually covered, as I asked the same question and, of course, jawells knew the answer. See post 5

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...modulator.html

the wiring for the wing brake light is on the driver side - you can see it with the wing in the full up position. Seems to me that wiring a module would be near impossible without removing the bumper. If you find an easier way, definitely let us know.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:54 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Scat - this was actually covered, as I asked the same question and, of course, jawells knew the answer. See post 5

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...modulator.html

the wiring for the wing brake light is on the driver side - you can see it with the wing in the full up position. Seems to me that wiring a module would be near impossible without removing the bumper. If you find an easier way, definitely let us know.
Yeah, you are right... I remember reading that now...

Actually I think that must have been what triggered my thought of trying it with the wing down when nothing was working. I was just about to get the volt meter out and start probing around..

Going to look into the 4th brake light mod a bit more. But I can see it is probably going to be a pain... If I figure something out I'll post..

Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
So I put the 3rd brake light modulator on my new GTS. All the wiring and everything is the same, however did find a better and more inconspicuous place to place the switch. Instead of placing it behind the driver side passenger seat, (see last picture in post 2) I hid it behind the rear window trim piece. The piece has "handholds" to pull the trim out and I tucked the switch right inside the handholds. All you need to do is pull it out when you need it, and tuck it in when you don't. No one knows the switch is there but you!

Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2015, 02:11 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Another option is to use the hazards when you come to a quick stop, in highway traffic, etc

that's a great idea..in fact Porsche actually installed that feature: when coming to a panic stop at speeds greater than 55 mph the flashers automatically deploy...to bad that feature is deactivated in the US...

Old 07-02-2015, 11:30 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Not to throw a wet blanket on this thread, but in many states this is illegal. I know in Virginia if you go in for your annual inspection and they catch it, it will fail to pass. Also, the cops can ticket you for it if they're in a mood (doubt most would, but you never know). Just an FYI

Old 07-03-2015, 10:14 PM
DKC
DKC is on a distinguished road
It's interesting how this feature is disabled in the US. In my VW Golf, the brake lights will flash and hazards light come on if I brake hard enough to activate the ABS and stability control. We tested this in a VW driving experience day last week and the instructors use that to see if we have braked hard enough.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:25 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Done a similar thing on my Harley, where you do worry about getting rear-eneded. Looks like a great install and fairly simple. Thank for the writeup.