considering a cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 PM
pal joey is on a distinguished road
considering a cab

greetings..im looking to replace my bmw in the next couple of months.

im considering a cpo 991 cab or 981 cab. i will test drive them both.
i know the boxster is cab only, and the cayman is not an option. so if the cab is ruled out it will be a 991 coupe, if i choose porsche. when looking at cabs online i sometimes see faded, discolored, stained and wrinkled tops . these are all late model cars, and this has me somewhat concerned.

i read they should be stored with the top up, they need cleaning and sealing, also recommended a car cover or garage. add to that i live in nyc and dont know how much i will even drop the top. i see a number of cons yet in spite of that i havent ruled it out. so im looking to those who were also undecided but then made the decision . any cab owners chose it and regretted it, or passed on it and regretted it.

Last edited by pal joey; 03-25-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I own a 991S Cab and prior to that a Boxster S. Yes. the tops are going to show friction marks and wear, no way around it. If you don't plan on using the convertible feature, why not get a coupe? The coupe is less money, has an iconic look, has nearly double the chassis stiffness and won't be a prone to rattles as it ages, especially over NYC bumpy streets. The only reason to get a Cab is to put the top down and drive around to get the Big Air experience.

The difference between a current Boxster S and 991S is not as much as you might think. The Boxster will outhandle the 991 and is more tossable, though not as fast. The 991 has more creature comforts and is more comfortable, and not nearly as claustrophobic with the top up. The Boxster also comes in at $ 20K less, but won't hold resale value quite as well as the 911.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 AM
yes you raise a few good points. friction marks would bother me,and although i would drop the top i wouldnt drop it that often enough to deal with the negatives of appearance and care. yes the coupe would save some cash and it has that look. the possible claustropohobic feeling you mentioned in the boxster is another concern. a glass roof coupe looks like a good compromise.

since late model cpo 911 with auto, glass roof, not black paint which there seems to be a number of , and close to home are limited ,my other option is a bmw 435 convertible.
going that route gives me brand new and adds 4 years included maintenance. the steel top gives you that drop top when wanted ,but eliminates problems that come with soft tops.
only negative is it eats up trunk space. but i can deal with that.

if the right porsche at the right price appears ,il move on it. if not bmw will have to be my backup. another negative is i currently have 2012 535 with black interior. if i go with the 4 it will also be black interior and visually il feel like im in the same car i just got out of. but i test drove the 4 and i like the ride better then the 5. its a a bit more agile and athletic as opposed to the 5 which to me is a bit big and heavy.

Last edited by pal joey; 03-25-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: none
Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pal joey
yes you raise a few good points. friction marks would bother me,and although i would drop the top i wouldnt drop it that often enough to deal with the negatives of appearance and care. yes the coupe would save some cash and it has that look. the possible claustropohobic feeling you mentioned in the boxster is another concern. a glass roof coupe looks like a good compromise. since late model cpo 911 with auto, glass roof, not black paint which there seems to be a number of , and close to home are limited ,my other option is a bmw 435 convertible. going that route gives me brand new and adds 4 years included maintenance. the steel top gives you that drop top when wanted ,but eliminates problems that come with soft tops. only negative is it eats up trunk space. but i can deal with that. if the right porsche at the right price appears ,il move on it. if not bmw will have to be my backup. another negative is i currently have 2012 535 with black interior. if i go with the 4 it will also be black interior and visually il feel like im in the same car i just got out of. but i test drove the 4 and i like the ride better then the 5. its a a bit more agile and athletic as opposed to the 5 which to me is a bit big and heavy.
It sounds like you answered your question.

If it is your sole car, I would recommend a hardtop convertible like the BMW with X Drive and lighter colored interior. Black leather seats are hot with the top down, I mean you will burn your bum.

But if you have indoor parking at home and at your destinations, you have more flexibility and will not have to be too concerned about the cloth top.

Do you drive from November to April? Not good months for rear wheel drive cars with cloth tops.

Do you drive from July to August in NYC? Also not good months for a convertible, it's not the heat, it's the humidity and everybody else's AC and the asphalt spewing heat while you're going at 3 mph.

Do you like to sleep well? Cloth tops in NYC will take care of that for you as you are up wondering if someone is gonna rip through the top to get the $1.03 in change you left in the ashtray.

Things to consider
Otherwise have fun

Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 991 Cab and 981. My top still looks new but I park in a garage. The 981 does NOT out handle the 991, it just handles a little differently. A little better on tight corners but I prefer the 991 handling on faster corners but that is a different issue. They are both great cars but the 981 feels like a big sports car and the 991 feels like a small exotic.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 PM
jerryk991 will become famous soon enoughjerryk991 will become famous soon enough
The convertible top on a 991 is very durable and the soundproofing is unbelievable. I have a 2004 BMW convertible that has been garaged since new and the top still looks great - the 991 top is far better. Ventilation helps the seats stay cooler but there are certainly other interior colors. It takes about 20 seconds to put up the top so if you are leaving it outside in the sun just put the top up.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:38 PM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by moje911
It sounds like you answered your question.

If it is your sole car, I would recommend a hardtop convertible like the BMW with X Drive and lighter colored interior. Black leather seats are hot with the top down, I mean you will burn your bum.

But if you have indoor parking at home and at your destinations, you have more flexibility and will not have to be too concerned about the cloth top.

Do you drive from November to April? Not good months for rear wheel drive cars with cloth tops.

Do you drive from July to August in NYC? Also not good months for a convertible, it's not the heat, it's the humidity and everybody else's AC and the asphalt spewing heat while you're going at 3 mph.

Do you like to sleep well? Cloth tops in NYC will take care of that for you as you are up wondering if someone is gonna rip through the top to get the $1.03 in change you left in the ashtray.

Things to consider
Otherwise have fun
Possibly an issue for previous Cab Carreras, but not true on the new 991 Cab Carrera:

Under the stretched fabric are four solid magnesium panels – the front section that attaches to the windscreen frame, two center segments, and the rear window whose framing is likewise in magnesium.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:19 AM
yes there clearly appears to be a significant improvement from the 997 to 991 top. and that includes what you cant see in addition to what you can. but of my concerns about a cab someone cutting my roof would be last on my list . im more concerned about the cosmetics,wrinkles,and friction marks.because thats what im sometimes seeing when searching for late model cars .

as far as the magnesium panels that sounds like a good and much improved feature but how many thiefs would know that. they would only be aware after they slice the outter skin,and although they would soon find out and move on , the damage would have already been done. anyone know if just the outter skin can just be replaced,or is the whole roof bonded together from top to bottom?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:27 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I love my cab, only downside is that there is a blind spot when backing. in parking lots I always park so I can drive forward and no backing.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 AM
jerryk991 will become famous soon enoughjerryk991 will become famous soon enough
I really don't believe that anything other than the cosmetics should be an issue. I presume the car will be in a garage so it is very unlikely that someone will cut the top for the heck of it. There is no reason to break into a car unless something is obviously there to be taken as radios, etc. just aren't worth taking because of codes, etc. Professional thieves will get a car if they want it and it won't make a bit of difference to them if it is a coupe or a convertible. Driving in NYC isn't fun to begin with and a Porsche isn't going to be any better with its wide tires and firm suspension. But maybe at night or driving out to LI with the top down is going to make the cab a wise choice.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
There is always the Targa.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 AM
im searching for a cpo, 2012 - 14, around $80,000. max, so that takes the targa out of the mix. im finding slim pickens locating a coupe.
im looking for white, silver, or possibly blue over black, tdk, glass top, within 200 miles of home. i would consider going a bit further out if the car and price was right.

i dont live in manhattan. im in an outter borough with a very low crime rate. car would be off street. wife has her car in garage, im in driveway or parking pad.
i could easily get a car cover. this is just my car and its a daily driver, but im retired and if the weather is bad it can and will stay home.

i was flirting with the cab . had a couple of drop tops in younger days now approaching 62 and i figured go for it once again.
some might suggest a mid life crisis, but that would mean il be around to 124 .

i think i finally figured it out. an unslightly roof would bother me too much. and i dont see that top being dropped all that much. so im thinking as a compromise just going glass. but that glass narrows the field even a bit more. id be very suprised if i find what i seek in the next few months. but my attitude has always been if its meant to be it will be, and if not accept it and move on.

i was considering boxster as a way to expand the field and also save some green. im very impressed with how much it has progressed, but no matter how many times i try i just dont think its gonna happen. its not what i grew up admiring ,and that roof just looks too confining. im 6-2, 240. and the cayman as good as it is was never really an option for me.

my back up might just be a bmw 4 convertible can give me drop top with steel roof. new as oppossed to cpo. 4 year maintenance included and oppossed to who know how much for the cpo.
but im coming out of a bmw and it would almost feel like im in the same car.

ive had a 74 914 bumble bee, and a 80 924 turbo back in my younger days, and the 911 has always been a dream. i now have the resources to make that dream come true, but in spite of that i realize that dreams dont always come true. and life is sometimes a beach. when i was young i could easily get in and out of it but couldnt afford it. now i can afford it but it takes some effort getting in and out of it.

Last edited by pal joey; 03-28-2015 at 05:44 AM.