WE72 campaign - any issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Question WE72 campaign - any issues?

I got WE72 compaign (replace/update engine cover) done by the dealership workshop in my area. There's a big gasket and sticker on it now (see pic).

However, I noticed almost drone like sound while accelerating at high speed (~80mph) with hot engine over 200F oil temp. I'm guessing with spoiler up and fans running.

On another occasion, similar condition, noticed it again.

I'm taking it to drive with the foreman but it's an intermittent thing - not sure I'll be able to reproduce it.

Anyone else noticed this?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
The gasket doesn't look like it's installed in the right spot, but I don't believe that was part of the recall. If I recall correctly, the recall only involved a very small piece towards the side of the compartment. They probably installed the gasket incorrectly when they did an oil change.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
mtony is right -- That particular campaign only dealt with replacing the plastic covering on the right side of your pic -- the one with the Mobil 1 sticker on it. Nothing else was replaced as far as I recall.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Wink Engine cover

Thanks Fester for bringing this up! I'll make a note of it for when i get my 991...

Oh, by the way, almost got number 9 paid off in full!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:27 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
What is the reason they are doing this campaign to begin with? And does it affect all cars?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BradB
What is the reason they are doing this campaign to begin with? And does it affect all cars?
Good question. I can't tell what was replaced looking at the pictures. My 2015 GTS engine compartment looks just like his pictures except mine says GTS, so I assume the campaign doesn't apply to my car. Is the gasket he refers to that large accordion type seal? I guess I will know in December when I take it in for its first service.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
The foreman opened up the cover, removed fans and put it all back together the said it all looks good. Since then I haven't noticed any issues. Oh well, I guess it's all good now.

Btw, I was surprised how easy it is to remove the big plastic part and the fans and it looks so cheap and flimsy. The fans barely hold up via a single pin. Porsche did pretty lousy job. These things would need to be changed after removals/install few times - it's required to access the oil filter.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
Fwiw, I can't ever remember hearing those fans turn on.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:12 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fester
Btw, I was surprised how easy it is to remove the big plastic part and the fans and it looks so cheap and flimsy. The fans barely hold up via a single pin. Porsche did pretty lousy job. These things would need to be changed after removals/install few times - it's required to access the oil filter.
Yes, it all comes off rather easily. Pop, pull, squeeze, twist! The fans are actually snapped in on four points but I agree as to the fragility of it all. I've changed my oil 3-4 times and already I lost one of the fan clips. (You can see the missing one in the corner of the fan housing.)

Routine maintenance may now be oil, filter and misc. plastic bits!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Rapture1
Fwiw, I can't ever remember hearing those fans turn on.
Not driving hard enough...

Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
I lost one of the fan clips. (You can see the missing one in the corner of the fan housing.)

I had to buy one as well when I found it missing when I started performing my own oil changes. They should have them at your parts counter. Pop one of the other ones off for comparison because there are 2 different sizes back there.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fester
Not driving hard enough...
Ha Ha! I'll have to go out and give it another shot!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future

Hey BradB- Did you notice on the intake housing inlets, there is a thin "gasket" of foam around each opening? And, did you notice any deterioration of that foam material? I was looking at mine during last oil change, and the foam was completely dried-out and turning to dust... hate to think how much of that stuff was ingested! Wonder if anyone else noticed similar on their cars?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by plenum
Hey BradB- Did you notice on the intake housing inlets, there is a thin "gasket" of foam around each opening? And, did you notice any deterioration of that foam material? I was looking at mine during last oil change, and the foam was completely dried-out and turning to dust... hate to think how much of that stuff was ingested! Wonder if anyone else noticed similar on their cars?
I did take note of those gaskets. They were intact but it looked like a solution Autozone would come up with in the parking lot. Pretty cheesy. Now I get to look forward to it degrading. Wonderful.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 AM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plenum
And, did you notice any deterioration of that foam material? I was looking at mine during last oil change, and the foam was completely dried-out and turning to dust... hate to think how much of that stuff was ingested!
Not to worry...... it will get collected by the air filter.

For me not knowing how the intake is designed ..... how does it dewater itself, is a question I have. When I wash the car I'm aware of my spray when it comes to the intake area but what happens when I use a touchless drive through with water going everywhere?