Just Joined the 991 Club!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:19 AM
jabed92694 will become famous soon enough
Just Joined the 991 Club!

Hi all,

I just sold my 2007 997.1 4S cab and got a 2012 991S cab fully loaded. What a significant upgrade the 991 is! I'm having the car inspected (full PPI) this Monday as it has 3 previous owners and I don't know the full service history. Also it has 40k miles on odometer and is due for the 40K service. What should I expect to pay for the 40k service? Any major issues with these cars I should be aware of? What should I specifically ask them to check in the PPI other than the usual DME for over revs, repainting etc? Also do these new 991's do well as far as reliability as they get into the higher mileage or should I invest in an aftermarket warranty since the factory warranty is now out?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Old 09-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! Post some pics when you can!

I'm not anywhere near 40K miles yet, so I can't help you with what that service will cost.

I do know that there are some members here with some high mileage cars and they have been very reliable!

Again, congrats!

Old 09-19-2016, 01:35 AM
Thanks. Who has a 991 S on here with high mileage (over 40K)? What issues have you seen? Is it worth getting an aftermarket warranty for 5K for 5 years and an additional 60K miles?

Old 09-19-2016, 08:00 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Jon:
Congratulations on your new 991. I felt the same when I traded my 997 for the 991. RNL (Richard) has over 40K miles on his, you might want to reach out to him, but my suspicion is that you will find he has had no issues.

I think you should compare prices among dealers if you can. My guess from reading past posts is $2000. Many say you can do it yourself, although it requires removing the rear bumper (which many say is easy). You should look at the records to see what has been done as some of this may have been done.

ChuckJ

Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Jon:
Congratulations on your new 991. I felt the same when I traded my 997 for the 991. RNL (Richard) has over 40K miles on his, you might want to reach out to him, but my suspicion is that you will find he has had no issues.

I think you should compare prices among dealers if you can. My guess from reading past posts is $2000. Many say you can do it yourself, although it requires removing the rear bumper (which many say is easy). You should look at the records to see what has been done as some of this may have been done.

ChuckJ

Thanks. Anything specific I should be checking for on a PPI?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Thanks. Anything specific I should be checking for on a PPI?
1. Overrun data
2. Door panel not warped, debonded.
3. Maintenance records
4. Hesitation on initial acceleration
5. Where it has been driven
6. Evidence of damage (not all accidents are recorded)
7. Battery health

ChuckJ

Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
1. Overrun data
2. Door panel not warped, debonded.
3. Maintenance records
4. Hesitation on initial acceleration
5. Where it has been driven
6. Evidence of damage (not all accidents are recorded)
7. Battery health

ChuckJ

Thanks. Are there known issues with the door panel warping? My drivers door creaks when opening. Is this a symptom? Also what's the cause of hesitation of initial acceleration? I'm not sure how to get service records as the car had 3 prior owners.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks. Are there known issues with the door panel warping? My drivers door creaks when opening. Is this a symptom? Also what's the cause of hesitation of initial acceleration? I'm not sure how to get service records as the car had 3 prior owners.
No one has figured out what causes the hesitation. There is an extensive thread on it.
There is also a thread on the door panels. It warps, debonds at the top. The panels are expensive if it is out of warranty.
Three owners without documentation may be risky but if it looks like new that would be confidence building. Mine is a 2012 with 18,000 miles and I've not had issues with it. I didn't even consider doing an extended warranty or trading in for a new one.

ChuckJ
PS if the battery is questionable, Batteries Plus has a good one at half the price of the Porsche battery.

Last edited by ChuckJ; 09-19-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiThunder is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Hi all,

I just sold my 2007 997.1 4S cab and got a 2012 991S cab fully loaded. What a significant upgrade the 991 is! I'm having the car inspected (full PPI) this Monday as it has 3 previous owners and I don't know the full service history. Also it has 40k miles on odometer and is due for the 40K service. What should I expect to pay for the 40k service? Any major issues with these cars I should be aware of? What should I specifically ask them to check in the PPI other than the usual DME for over revs, repainting etc? Also do these new 991's do well as far as reliability as they get into the higher mileage or should I invest in an aftermarket warranty since the factory warranty is now out?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Just got a quote from Len Stoler Porsche Owings Mills MD for the 40k service.
$1695
2013 4S, 42k miles

Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Since 42k miles, I have had zero issues. I just passed 77k and still enjoying the car.
No issues with the door panel warping. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see the battery go within the next year.
I know it's a risk, but I have not purchased an extended warranty. If it gives you peace of mind, and an easier thump to your wallet should something happen, go for it. Mine's been solid since October of 2013