Questionning myself... coming back to Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 AM
raphmach is an unknown quantity at this point
Questionning myself... coming back to Porsche

Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR! I wish you health, happiness and everything you can desire!

I have been a Porsche enthousiast for years (I nearly had all the P cars except Panamera).
In the past two years, I have owned a 991 S and 997 GT3. Few months ago I wanted to "change" a bit and went to pick an Aston Martin V12 Vantage.

The V12 Vantage is an amazing car. BUT is not as easy to use as the 911 and its autonomy is slightly short (250-300km radius).

I am thinking about selling the Aston to get back to porsche with a 991 S.1.

Would you keep the V12 or get the 991?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
As beautiful as the Aston is, The Porsche will make you happier and be more useful. Consider a 991.2. I drove one at the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles and found it even better then my 2013 991.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
A bit of an apples to oranges comparison, not to mention the V8 vs Flat 6.
It depends on your intended use and driving habits, but I think the Aston is a beautifully sculpted machine.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "not as easy to use..".

Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
From pure aesthetics, I'd keep the Aston. Such a beautiful car.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Will you miss the Aston?

If no, sell it. If yes, give it a bit longer and sell it when you feel you've had the experience and are satisfied.

I'd like to try a V12 Aston sometime down the road even if it is only a 1-3 year car for me. I probably won't until I can have it as a fourth or fifth car though and that will be a while.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I have a couple friends that are life-long Porsche lovers, and they're constantly telling me that they keep wanting to buy an Aston. But honestly, Astons aren't for everyone. The 991 is a much, much easier car to live with and offers way more functionality. The Aston has far more personality, it's an emotional car, and you can feel everything - it's very mechanical while Porsches are getting more and more electronic. That's actually why these friends are looking into Astons - they're bored with the numbness that Porsches add with each generation.

Porsches and Astons are very different cars. Which is best for you really depends on what you want in a car.

Originally Posted by dux
A bit of an apples to oranges comparison, not to mention the V8 vs Flat 6.
It depends on your intended use and driving habits, but I think the Aston is a beautifully sculpted machine.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "not as easy to use..".
This one is a V12, not a V8. Huge difference in torque

Porsche are generally easier to drive. Better driving position, much better visibility. The V12 (and even the V8) is a gas guzzler, so you're never too far from a gas station stop.

As far as features, the 991 will have far more to offer. Astons are pretty sparse on creature comforts and whatnot.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I went from Porsche to Aston to Ferrari and now back (with a short stop at BMW and Mercedes) to Porsche.

The thing that bothered me the most about the Aston and Ferrari were the high yearly maintenance costs (especially the Ferrari). 3 K to basically change the oil is ridiculous. Also a lot of Ferrari guys think that the car will blow up at 20,000 miles. I've come to appreciate the low maintenance cost of the Porsche and the drivability. The Ferrari (and I suspect your Aston) was mainly an A to A car. The Porsche is an A to Z car.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I went from Porsche to Aston to Ferrari and now back (with a short stop at BMW and Mercedes) to Porsche.

The thing that bothered me the most about the Aston and Ferrari were the high yearly maintenance costs (especially the Ferrari). 3 K to basically change the oil is ridiculous. Also a lot of Ferrari guys think that the car will blow up at 20,000 miles. I've come to appreciate the low maintenance cost of the Porsche and the drivability. The Ferrari (and I suspect your Aston) was mainly an A to A car. The Porsche is an A to Z car.
That's what keeps me out of a Ferrari. I've been on this forum for several years (Telum01 is my previous screen name) and got extremely involved with the Aston community to the point that I started my company (shameless plug: www.Redpants.lol) to address Aston maintenance costs. It'd be extremely difficult to replicate that with Ferrari. Maybe I can figure it out with McLaren...

But yeah, maintenance can be a real kick to the gut for Astons if you're beholden to a dealership. Porsches are far easier to manage in that regard.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I went from my 4th Porsche to an Aston Martin Vantage (kept 2 years) then back to a new 991 S cab and never looked back. I love the hand craftsmanship on an Aston, its bespoke whereas a Porsche is very much a factory-built car on an assembly line. However the Aston has terrible visibility from the cockpit, especially backing up, is prone to banging front spoilers, the doors are heavy and the seats are a bit low. And my wife didn't like it! They are also a bit more fragile - and really are something of a parts bin special. Ford and Volvo subsystems all over the car. The 991 is a better driver, easier to wheel around, and tough and durable. You tend to drive a Porsche more because its just easier to take.

A neighbor of mine had a garage full of Ferraris, but sold them all off to go back to Porsche as well. I asked him why? "Ferraris are too fussy, a Porsche you just get in and drive".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.