Yellow Oil Overfill Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Yellow Oil Overfill Warning

Drained the oil.
Measured the amount drained.
Refilled the exact amount of drained oil
Added 1/3 quart extra for oil filter.....and got a yellow (you can drive on) warning about 45 minutes after the car showed "Oil OK" green screen....later on the green OK graphic appeared...next day, same thing happened...yellow screen followed by the green OK screen

I'm not an oil fill newbie...car has 68000 miles and I've changed the oil every 5k or so....

what do you think? is it just a hair above max? should I just change the filter and refill as necessary?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Change the filter... go from there

Old 02-21-2017, 02:23 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Personally I'd be fine with it. Given you are only getting a yellow and it seems that you are right on the edge of the condition.

I suspect you are right at the upper limit of the system. I don't claim to be an expert on a 991's oil system but a dry sump system typically has multiple locations where the oil can be at any given time (The sump, the oil cooler/separator and the tank) and I can easily see how if you were at the limit you could flip back and forth over that threshold.

If makes you feel better you can drain a smudge out. I'm not sure swapping the oil will remove much.. On mine, by the time I shut down and get to the filter, usually there isn't much oil left in it when I replace mine.. But it might kick you under the line. But if it is indeed that close and you are only getting yellow? Why bother?

If the condition was serious then I would expect a red indication.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:44 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Thanks all for your responses. Didn't happen today. I'm going to just monitor it.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:13 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
Since you changed your oil multiple times you know the drain plug very well.

Put your oil drain pan under the car and loosen the plug until about a 1/4 qt comes out and then seal it back up. Very easy to do..... just make sure the car is not hot or you will burn the crap out of your hand.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM
rnl
Yup. I backed off the plug and dropped 1/4 quart earlier today. Thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
rnl
Originally Posted by rnl
Yup. I backed off the plug and dropped 1/4 quart earlier today. Thanks
Worked!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Good for you, Richard!

ChuckJ

Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
I don't know about this engine, but in the marine world, oil is usually siphoned out through the dipstick tube. I'm assuming this method wasn't a possibility due to no dipstick?

Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by grover432
I don't know about this engine, but in the marine world, oil is usually siphoned out through the dipstick tube. I'm assuming this method wasn't a possibility due to no dipstick?
electronic dipstick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.