996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which 2 bolts to drop TT Engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
jleeev is on a distinguished road
Which 2 bolts to drop TT Engine?

Is it really as simple as loosening 2 bolts and a floor jack under the engine for modest (2") drop?

Thoughts most welcome.

Best,

J

Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The two bolts are on the far side on each side of the motor. They are fairly big and hard to miss. You can lower those down with the jack under the motor, then slowly lower the jack down and the motor should come down a few inches.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks Powell........for those of us that are rather mechanically challenged are these bolts underneath or inside the engine bay??

Best,
J

Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jleeev
Thanks Powell........for those of us that are rather mechanically challenged are these bolts underneath or inside the engine bay??

Best,
J
They are on the underside of the car. It's hard to describe, but they are on the outside of the motor. Like they are far apart from each other, wider than the motor.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Got it......many thanks.

J

Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Fabulous description.........much thanks Rolf.
BTW I hope you have a 3M sponsorship. Serious tape job!

Best

J

Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
ABCar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Powell
They are on the underside of the car. It's hard to describe, but they are on the outside of the motor. Like they are far apart from each other, wider than the motor.
I found them easily...look up just in front of the rear bumper and slightly midline from the exhaust...you will see the O2 sensor wire nearby. They are about 15-18 inches up from the bottom of the engine.

Easy to find and easy procedure to lower. Great way to access the top of your engine! Thanks for this thread...it helped me GREATLY.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Looking inside the engine bay I've seen the two round metal "cans" on either side of the bay that look like mounts, I've felt bolts on the underside - that's them yes?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 PM
c2scanada is on a distinguished road
Time to change my motor mounts.
Great diagrams

Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Subscribed

Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Looking inside the engine bay I've seen the two round metal "cans" on either side of the bay that look like mounts, I've felt bolts on the underside - that's them yes?
Si, senor

Just take the nuts off(or just loose depending on how far you need to drop the engine), and lower away very carefully...

justin

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Nervous.........

I know this is a couple months old, forgive me

I am getting ready to lower the engine to make easier work of the DV replacement... I'm nervous I'm going to ruin my car. Please, help squash my fears!!! I will put the rear up on jack stands, put my floor jack under the engine block, undo the 2 retaining bolts and then slowly lower the jack... It won't go too far, right? My engine isn't going to plop onto my garage floor or come out of alignment, right? Sorry for the stupid questions, just the thought of lowering the engine is kind of trippy

Also, when I do put it back up, what is the correct torque to tighten the retaining bolts back to?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rolfjahn
1. No it won't fall on your floor. There is alot more to unbolt for that to happen.
2. Remove your airbox. (You have to remove this to get to the DVs)
3. Disconnect boost hoses. (They clip in/out and watch out for the O ring)
4. Don't disconnect the coolant hose (right side-coolant smells like death warmed over)

There is a failsafe built into this-look at the pulley guard-the engine will rest the guard against the back of the car so you only get 3-4 inches of movement.

Try reading my #6 post again or call me for a comforting speech
Rolf
Thanks...just first-time jitters I guess I'm an engine-dropping virgin

Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I'm considering on doing this to install injectors but I'm not sure. How long of a job is the injectors to swap with the engine lowered?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
I'm considering on doing this to install injectors but I'm not sure. How long of a job is the injectors to swap with the engine lowered?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...?cID=10&pID=73

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which 2 bolts to drop TT Engine?