996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Loud clicking noise from engine.. PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Loud clicking noise from engine.. PLEASE help!

I'm getting a loud clicking noise every second from my engine.
Sounds like a missfire??
I recently replaced my spark plugs with Denso IK22's.. I gapped them at .30
Could that be the problem? This is really stressing me out.
I haven't started my car for months and the only things I did prior to starting it was install my ECU after a flash and replace my spark plugs. I can't drive the car because there's a snowstorm.
Please chime in if you can guys. Thanks in advance

Update: Here's a video taken from the ride wheel well. it's the loudest from this side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4rgv04jcHc

Last edited by SXN; 03-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
av996tt is on a distinguished road
Sounds similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXn1oXw_0wk

Does it make the ticking noise when you first start the car? Does it change pitch when you increase the rpm's?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
I haven't checked if it changes pitch when I rev it.
But it's a loud ticking sound.. any ideas on what it could be?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Did you check the oil?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
SXN
My oil is always fresh because I change it every 1500kms, thx.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
That is valve tick. Could be a number of things causing it, but I would guess a bad lifter or it's WAY out of adjustment for some reason. Could also be a rocker arm issue, but there is no doubt in my mind that it IS a valve noise.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
av996tt is on a distinguished road
I agree, after re-reading your post about the car sitting for months, I would think it was your lifters. It will probably go away after your drive it some and get the oil back into the lifters. It didn't sound like my engine.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
It is the lifter for sure. Let her warm up a bit, rev her up and it should go away...keep your fingers crossed.

Now, this may be another issue that is more serious. My car had the same issue except it ended up being a broken valve spring and bad solenoids on the vario-cam module.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

B

Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Porsche_911 will become famous soon enough
I got the same issue. So if it doesn't go away when the engine is warmed up then it's my solenoid or broken valve?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
SXN
Originally Posted by av996tt
I agree, after re-reading your post about the car sitting for months, I would think it was your lifters. It will probably go away after your drive it some and get the oil back into the lifters. It didn't sound like my engine.
I'm hoping this is the case too because my engine was running perfect before I stored it. Then I cranked her up after 6mths and it sounds like this.
Also, what would a missfire sound like?
Thank u.
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
It is the lifter for sure. Let her warm up a bit, rev her up and it should go away...keep your fingers crossed.

Now, this may be another issue that is more serious. My car had the same issue except it ended up being a broken valve spring and bad solenoids on the vario-cam module.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

B
How did your valve spring break?? I'll start it up again later and let her warm up.. is it bad to rev it if I'm having this problem?? I'm really hoping it's just because the oil isn't circulated

Thank you!

Last edited by SXN; 03-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
It could just be just a sticky valve, it happens..don't panic. Mine was the actual valve spring that was broken. The valve was banging around which is why I had my motor built when EVOMS tore it a part.

Rev her up and down a few times and see what happens. Sometimes oil type/grade can have an effect on this too. Oil is a touchy subject to some. I have seen some wierd things with changing to different brands and grades.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
It just happened, have no idea why. This problem may happen if you have stored you car for a while without starting her up. That is what I was saying about the oil. It is most likely that, all the oil has drained down over time.

I usual start my car and run it to 180C on the dash (rev her a few times) every 3 or 4 weeks when it is stored just to keep her well lubed up.. Not a problem this year as she has been in warm Tempe all winter. My garage is not heated.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
So did the loud ticking noise go away?...bet it did

Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 AM
SXN
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
So did the loud ticking noise go away?...bet it did
I just started it.. and it's perfect again!! I apologize for sounding so paranoid.. but I take care of my car so well that when something is different I notice it right away. I was just worried something was wrong with the engine.
I'm gonna start her up again tmw just to make sure.

Thanks again for all your help and the guys that chimed in

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
SXN
This is the first winter with the 911. My Supra was always stored for 7ish months and would start and run like I drove her everyday so I freaked out when I started the 911.

BTW: My car was at an angle.. this sounds stupid.. but could that have caused the lifters to make that ticking sound? I lowered it back down today before I started it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Loud clicking noise from engine.. PLEASE help!