996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 NA versus 996 TT...Most rewarding to drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
996 NA versus 996 TT...Most rewarding to drive?

We currently have both cars: 996 40th anniversary model and a moded 996 TT. First off, my first love has always been the 911 Turbos since I was a boy. My TT(Polar silver) has a tune, an awesome Kline X pipe, nice 19" 997 TT wheels and a bunch of other goodies. The 40th(GT silver) is stock other than a Fabspeed exhaust. Condition wise, the TT looks like the day it rolled off the showroom. I bought it with 5k miles on it...now has 37k miles. The 40th was bought new, now has 84k miles on it(50k miles on the engine. engine blew up at 36k because of intermediate shaft). It's in good condition but not perfect like the TT.

I often drive them back to back and find myself enjoying the NA 996 a bit more than the TT(blasphemy). Here are a few things I like better on NA. The NA has a much closer ratio trany. No lag, great throttle response, revs out great. The 40th is quicker than the TT other than at WOT. Lets be real, TT's are very lethargic when they are not boosting. The tall gearing does not help in this regard. I find that I can rip through the gears on the 40th most anywhere without being at insane speeds within seconds(ironically, that is what makes a moded TT awesome, go figure). Around town, back roads and every day driving the NA 996 is more rewarding to drive(to me) because you can drive it aggresively without ending at breakneck speeds or in jail. Here in MA, twice the speed limit= loss of license and or Jail. The only time I like the TT more is doing highway pulls and getting on the gas on on-ramps. I think this why the GT3 always ranks way ahead of the Turbos as far as "driver's car" go.

Power wise there is absolutely no comparison, it's like comparing a Camry and a Corvette. Look wise, The turbo still has the "IT Factor" still looks current with the right accessories. The 40th looks dated (to me). My TT is in perfect condition, the 40th is in average condition. So all that said, I still find myself inclined to sell the TT vs the 40th. I have to many cars and want to make some room. Maybe I should sell both and get a GT3 or a F Type R?

Has or does anybody else have or had both cars at the same time and feel or felt this way? Opinions?

Last edited by magoochi; 12-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:17 AM
gregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura about
Nice comparison. I have had both and actually love the TT better. The TT is my only Porsche now. It has a tune and exhaust, and for my money you can't beat how the boost slams you into your seat, even if it's only for a few seconds before you have to return to reality and drive at a sensible speed 😉

Old 12-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
I've always loved turbo cars and will continue to prefer them but there is definitely something to be said for wringing out a less powerful na car.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:14 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, I know what you mean re: the "lethargic" feel of the TT (lag). To that point, i say you have to call Marksi and get his tune. It will absolutely transform your TT. A well tuned TT should be making MORE power off boost than a NA 996.

If you want a slow car that revs high, get a mini cooper and drive it uphill all the time. You'll feel like a hero all the time. But a NA996 vs 996TT? Not for me.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:19 PM
x X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of light
nice review i can see your point on enjoying the NA 911 more, just like how some love going through the gears on a GT3 more then any other 911

Old 12-13-2014, 12:47 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Have driven both no comparison the tt wins hands down but the na cars are more linear. Driving a slow car hard always has a way of making you think your going faster then you are= ttpopos mini idea is a good example

Old 12-13-2014, 12:47 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
That's funny...we have a Cooper S. I have to disagree with you on weather or not a NA or TT makes more power off boost. Here is why: The NA has a higher compression ratio than a TT with the same displacement of 3.6 liters... therefore, it will always make more power that a TT with no or little boost, the tune is irrelevant because the TT is not boosting at that point. Then you also have to factor in the AWD vs RWD. The 40th Ann model is basically a Carrera S RWD. The gear ratios are also much closer on the NA as well. Almost a full gear difference.

Originally Posted by ttpopo
Actually, I know what you mean re: the "lethargic" feel of the TT (lag). To that point, i say you have to call Marksi and get his tune. It will absolutely transform your TT. A well tuned TT should be making MORE power off boost than a NA 996.

If you want a slow car that revs high, get a mini cooper and drive it uphill all the time. You'll feel like a hero all the time. But a NA996 vs 996TT? Not for me.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Sounds like you have made up your mind ditch the tt and stick with the better car for you= its really just looking for an argument as you are on the turbo board.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Sounds like you have made up your mind ditch the tt and stick with the better car for you= its really just looking for an argument as you are on the turbo board.
Not at all...I've always only been on the tt forum. The truth is I am really torn. When I look at both cars in the garage, I want to keep the tt, hands down a far better looking car than the 40th. When I drive both back to back, I like the NA a tiny bit more...Not much. I'm looking for feedback from people who have both and had to make a similar decision.It makes a big difference when you drive both on a regular basis. I'm not looking to argue with anybody about power. There is no comparison. I think a lot has to do with were you are located. Where I am, there is not that many opportunities to fully use the tt's power. Even the highway it's crowded.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Not at all...I've always only been on the tt forum. The truth is I am really torn. When I look at both cars in the garage, I want to keep the tt, hands down a far better looking car than the 40th. When I drive both back to back, I like the NA a tiny bit more...Not much. I'm looking for feedback from people who have both and had to make a similar decision.It makes a big current when you drive both on a regular basis. I'm not looking to argue with anybody about power. There is no comparison. I think a lot has to do with were you are located. Where I am, there is not that many opportunities to fully use the tt's power. Even the highway it's crowded.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:33 PM
No place has worse roads to fully use the potential of the tt then where I am= curvy rough roads and Amish buggies around every bend lol. I usually drive my A4 or TT as they are slower and keep me from making a big mistake. Only you can decide what is better for you and all the opinions in the world cant change that. I keep my turbo because I like it and other than insurance it doesn't cost me a thing.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:19 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
I have both and each fit a different need. I prefer my cab cruising around town, looking fly (daughters' fav) or hauling small cargo like a surfboard. The juiced turbo for naughty fun. The rough weather beater is an A4. As far as value, I'd keep the turbo. Tough to find a good one now, built like a tank and awesome handling.. the turbo is a keeper imo. The little bit lag is thrilling to me. Southern NJ has plenty of roads to stretch its legs. But in the city, I'd take the cab (tippy not manual). Keep both if you can.

Last edited by porschemama; 12-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by porschemama
I have both and each fit a different need. I prefer my cab cruising around town, looking fly (daughters' fav) or hauling small cargo like a surfboard. The juiced turbo for naughty fun. The rough weather beater is an A4. As far as value, I'd keep the turbo. Tough to find a good one now, built like a tank and awesome handling.. the turbo is a keeper imo. The little bit lag is thrilling to me. Southern NJ has plenty of roads to stretch its legs. But in the city, I'd take the cab (tippy not manual). Keep both if you can.

You're right it would be real hard for me to find a TT that is in such good condition especially here in the northeast. I could keep both, it's not a money thing. It's a space thing(6 cars & a motorcycle, two car garage).

Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i agree with whomever noted that there is something highly rewarding about being able to wring out a less powerful motor, and my 993 reminds me of that ( albeit, a run of the mill carerra . while i disagree with the idea that the tt's power isn't readily on tap such as an n/a cars might.

my turbos spool from 2k up and the power is astonishing to me every day and linear all the way to redline/rev limiter where my little old snails run out of juice.

i can see vacillating back and forth between which one of two might be more desirable if one had to keep a gt3 vs a turbo? but not just a run of the mill 996 carerra. tt vs a base carerra is no contest and no anniversary, 40th or otherwise, will change that lol

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 12-13-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:03 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you re: compression ratios etc, but sadly the dyno does not agree.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 NA versus 996 TT...Most rewarding to drive?