996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

turbo damage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:41 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
turbo damage.

Guys - one of my compressor wheels was damaged - couple of blades rolled over, and one blade broken off.

What do you think the likelyhood is that the broken blade has damaged the engine?

The reason was that the shop who built my fender intakes, used a 3" to 2.5" coupler instead of 3" to 2.25", and then used a rubber ring to take up the extra space. Well, the rubber ring obviously came out when went into the compressor.

I've got over half a dozen emails telling the shop what size the couplers should be, so there is no doubt about them being liable and I'm going to make sure they cover the price of repair. But, my concern is, did it damage the engine.

Other than the whine from the turbo, all happened in less than half a mile, the engine idled fine. I haven't been able to check the intercooler, or pull the oil filter yet.

What is everyone's thoughts / advice?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM
hydra. is just really nicehydra. is just really nicehydra. is just really nicehydra. is just really nice
The missing compresosr bits are too big to pass through the intercooler, so I doubt that your engine would have ingested anything harmful.. On an unrelated note, is that a 68HTA-upraded K16?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hydra.
The missing compresosr bits are too big to pass through the intercooler, so I doubt that your engine would have ingested anything harmful.. On an unrelated note, is that a 68HTA-upraded K16?
That's my hope. It one blade that didn't hit the rest so im hoping the intercooler caught it. The rubber coupler shouldn't have done any damage being ground up.

It's a 73HTA in a tial 28 alpha.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM
hydra. is just really nicehydra. is just really nicehydra. is just really nicehydra. is just really nice
Ouch... That's gotta hurt! I always thought the Tials covers were 2.5" and not 2.25" though...

Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Bummer man! I would take off the IC pipes and clean/inspect before putting evrything back together. Any pics of your fender intakes? Im a little confused on why/how that happened.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Will get some pics, but the short answer is that the builder uses a 2.5" coupler over a small piece of 2.25" tube (in the picture) and then put whose clamp on the outside. Obviously it wasn't lined up perfectly and worked its way loose and into the turbo.

Intercooler has to come out to do the turbos, so will inspect. Fingers crossed the blade is there.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I would guess no damage but would be impossible to tell 100% without some disassembly. I'm guessing you hear no odd noises?

Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch!
Hopefully the broken part stayed in one piece and all you have to replace downstream is the intercooler.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Sorry that happened to you Craig. Will come up with some plans/options Monday first thing!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Make sure you document all of your conversations with the shop and follow up with emails for your records in case it gets ugly. On a side note, I thought the A28s had larger than 2.25" inlets. My K16s compressor inlets are 2.75" and use a 70mm ID coupler..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Make sure you document all of your conversations with the shop and follow up with emails for your records in case it gets ugly. On a side note, I thought the A28s had larger than 2.25" inlets. My K16s compressor inlets are 2.75" and use a 70mm ID coupler..
Thanks mate. Could have been worse, but yes, the conversation Monday will be interesting. Will keep everyone informed on where this lands.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:17 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I think he has some of the first gen 28's. The hta68 k16's come with 2.25" machined inlets, I wonder what compressor cover are on your k16's to have a 2.75" inlet, as even the stock comp covers measure approx 2.25" (I just measured to be sure)

Old 04-20-2015, 12:05 AM
The UMM billet K16s come with a custom-cast compressor cover with 70mm inlets, could that be what you're running?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Here is a better photo of the cover

Old 04-20-2015, 03:02 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hydra.
The UMM billet K16s come with a custom-cast compressor cover with 70mm inlets, could that be what you're running?
Yes, UMW K16 with 997GT2RS compressor (2.75" inlet) pictured on the right. Stock K16 or K24 (2.25" inlet) pictured on the left.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pqfEDG]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-20-2015 at 03:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turbo damage.