996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gearbox will not come out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Gearbox will not come out!

Guys, I've been following this DIY (great DIY, and thanks)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...h-install.html
Im at 27.
Remove 4 nuts holding transmission to motor. Use flashlight and see if the crash brace on the top of the transmission is going to clear the transmission tunnel. Lower tranny as needed to clear this.

the top driverside nut was missing, so I only removed 3 nuts.
I've been twisting and shaking and pulling so the car almost tipped of the stands and from every angle, but it has only separated 1/2inch-1,5cm at the botton, on top i can se it has started to separate so i see the stud.

Is there anything im forgetting?
Any suggestions is really appreciated!

Old 11-25-2015, 03:06 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
The slave has three hydraulic hoses, one is black to green and is route to the body structure and another two (one is a rubber hose and the other is a rigid line) going to the engine. Did you took all of them off?

Last edited by jpflip; 11-25-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
No, the diy did not say anything about this.
I do see it is mentioned in the repair manual (3. Undo pressure pipe from slave cylinder.), but the slave is completely free from the gearbox without this removed i believe? or? where does this pipe go?

Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
what it sounds like is the trans is in a bind. you have to adjust the transmission stand so that the load is off the mainshaft and can be pulled towards the front of the car. its likely you have to much angle on the transmission to allow the brace to clear. it might need to remove the crash brace lift the trans a bit and then try to slide it out

also its easier if you remove the passenger side upper stud. its longer than the other 3. use to mounting nuts tighten them against each other and turn the stud out.

Last edited by 32krazy!; 11-25-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:13 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ronny-
No, the diy did not say anything about this.
I do see it is mentioned in the repair manual (3. Undo pressure pipe from slave cylinder.), but the slave is completely free from the gearbox without this removed i believe? or? where does this pipe go?
Forgot my post if the slave is off. Obviously the two hydraulic lines as to be disconnected....

Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
what it sounds like is the trans is in a bind. you have to adjust the transmission stand so that the load is off the mainsheet and can be pulled towards the front of the car. ts likely you have to much angle on the transmission to allow the brace to clear. it might need to remove the crash brace lift the trans a bit and then try to slide it out

also its easier if you remove the passenger side upper stud. its longer than the other 3. use to mounting nuts tighten them against each other and turn the stud out.
By crashbrace do you mean part nr 6 here?

If it is, it is already removed.

Also you wrote
"so that the load is off the mainsheet"

Mainsheet?

great tip about the stud, ill have that one taken out.
Thanks

Old 11-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
By crashbrace do you mean part nr 6 here?

If it is, it is already removed.

Also you wrote
"so that the load is off the mainsheet"

Mainsheet?

great tip about the stud, ill have that one taken out.
Thanks
autocorrect sucks! mainshaft. and no not #6 on top of the transmission is a wedged shaped brace thats looks like brass. 2 bolts hold it onto the the transmission. its purpose is to keep the transmission from being shoved forward in a rear end collision. you might have to remove it

Old 11-25-2015, 05:11 PM
This is the bracket 32krazy is talking about....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 19.10.36.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	433678  
Old 11-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Awesome! ill have a look tomorrow.
Thanks guys! it has to be this brace holding it back.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Removed stud and crash brace

And voila!

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Good job! Strange I never had to remove this bracket...Good to know!!!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Banned
let me ask. did you loosen the motor mount bolts and lower the engine or just the trans? if you didn't lower the engine thats the issue. don't remove the engine mount nuts just loosen to the end of the threads

Old 11-26-2015, 12:10 PM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, I've been following this DIY (great DIY, and thanks)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...h-install.html

I've been twisting and shaking and pulling so the car almost tipped of the stands

[/LEFT]
All, I know most of us are gear heads.
If you jack up your ride, please make sure that you do not use tripod jack stands as they are not 100 % safe to use - especially if you are going to be under your car. Years ago, I used these cheap tripod stands while trying to reinstall the motor in my 914-6. Needless to say after 10 minutes of pushing and tugging, I stopped and looked at the stands. One had moved and was hanging on two sides. A little more pushing it would have fallen on me! I would not be here today. I feel Blessed. . I'm just passing on a safety advice.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Yes im aware, i always make sure the tripods doesnt move when thugging.
But it is a concern for sure!

Old 11-26-2015, 03:56 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I plan to build some crib blocks. Whenever I'm under the car on stands I have a jack providing additional support and if possible a tire laying under the car in case it falls. Yeah, I'm paranoid!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gearbox will not come out!