996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Planning European "Driver's Vacation", Considering Shipping my TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
cadamson is on a distinguished road
Planning European "Driver's Vacation", Considering Shipping my TT

I know, I know, I know. It isn't the most economical thing to do, but an opportunity has presented itself and I haven't been able to get it off my mind since. One of my wife's best friends is getting married in Sweden on Oct 7th, as she has insisted on going, we have decided to take a few weeks and make a solid vacation out of it. At first I wasn't too keen on the idea, but then I started thinking about all the roads, the switchbacks, the mountain passes, and my nearly 700hp 911 waiting patiently for the snow to melt...

I've thought long and hard about how to write this post, and I've come to the conclusion that its purpose should be two pronged: a) advice from anyone that has shipped their car from the US to EU, and b) input from anyone who has taken a "driver's vacation" (for lack of a better term, not sure what else to call it) to Europe.

We are planing on leaving the first week of September and staying for 4-5 weeks, hoping to visit Germany (of course), Austria, France, Switzerland, Italy, and Sweden. I have looked into renting high end sports cars over there for several days at a time, seems like most run between $350-$500 a day. I got a quote of $925 each way to ship my car, and I'm inquiring with my insurer (USAA) about getting the requisite "green card" to insure it over there.

I'm thinking of this as a once in a lifetime experience. A chance to drive MY car on some of the most legendary roads in the world (I'll post a list of some of the candidates in a few min). It definitely comes at a price, and although renting a car there would be less of a headache, and much less could go wrong, I'm wondering if the novelty of having my personal machine there would offset this. I look forward to discussing this with you guys!

Last edited by cadamson; 02-08-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:50 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I would rent, try something more exotic or not lol.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Here's a rough list of the roads I'm considering after a few days of research:
1. Grossglockner Pass
2. Route 500 Schwarzwaldhochstrasse (the Black Forest)
3. Klausen Pass
4. Furka Pass
5. Hahntennjoch Pass
6. Susten Pass
7. Stelvio Pass (questionable due to popularity)
8. San Bernardino Pass
9. Col de la Bonnette
10. Route Napolean
11. Grimsell Pass

Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
I am a 1/2 hr. from the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse.

I know people who have done it the other way (Germans who shipped to the U.S.). And I know of people who have done it, but no first or even second hand info. Should be less of a hassle than dealing wit U.S. customs, tho.

Do be aware that the cheapest shipping price is RoRo - roll on, roll off. I have shipped cars and heard brand new econoboxes being driven off the boat at sustained 11,000rpm while waiting at the docks in Baltimore and Wilmington. You will likely want to look into container shipment.

Sounds like a really cool idea, tho!

Last edited by stevemfr; 02-08-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Ok, thanks, that's great info! Looking into container shipment now. Yeah, the $925 each way was for RoRo.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
I've always thought about doing this as well. Would love to know what you find out costs would be for a shipping container shipment.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:44 PM
I'll let you know what I find out. Should have a detailed quote by tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by stevemfr
I am a 1/2 hr. from the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse.
That's awesome! I was hoping to get some feedback from local members around some of the places we'll be visiting. So how's the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse? Is it as amazing as the pictures and videos indicate?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:05 AM
JR_2 is on a distinguished road
Do it!
Rent-a-cars in Europe are an expensive joke. A decent car (VW Golf diesel) with insurance will be ~ $500/wk
RoRo is the cheapest. (and probably quickest)
Purchase marine insurance.
Ask dealer / indy with PIWIS to put your car in "Transport mode." (if possible)
This will retard the throttle / power of the car so that the port "jockeys" won't do an "ferris bueller."
You will have to deliver the car to the port with an min. amount of fuel.
You will need to mount your front license plate.
Use TORX or similar anti-tamper screws on all license plates. Somebody might want yours as an souvenir.
Last I checked: USAA green card from the states - have to be stationed in EU.
Original copy of green card has to be present @ port during pickup - NO COPIES
Original copy of green card has to be present @ all non EU border crossings. They WILL ask for it since you have US plates.
Registration can't expire during your trip.
If you decided to expand your driving list, some EU countries require:
“Vignettes”—European Driving Stickers - AKA Road toll sticker.
Just because you have foreign plates does not exclude you.
Safety vest (think road construction worker) is required in most countries and "warning triangle" in all countries. First aid kit would be smart also.
http://safetyvest.co.uk/laws-on-eu-roads.html
Best way to get an EU approved triangle - Junk yard: Saab 9-5, standard equipment in most US cars.

Green Card insurance:
https://www.motorcycleexpress.com/
Don't let the name and website fool you. They do cars. Send an e-mail to their info@ and they will send you an application / price list.
There are other companies out there that handle this. They have the highest liability and the net cost is the cheapest. They issue the card here in the US, the others mail it to you from Europe and some require that the Green card is mailed to an EU address.

Think road side assistance: AAA does not work in the EU. Purchase ADAC or AA thru an broker or friend over there.

Container shipment - It's only economical when shipping more than one car or sharing the cost with others. You can't drive in the car and close the door. The car has to be strapped down. This adds time and money because you have to pay somebody at both sides to prepare your car and then unload your car.

GPS - you will need it! Remember, most city's streets were built to accommodate an horse & carriage! Most streets are 1 way, no street changes on red lights, U-turns are usually a no-no, etc.

And finally.. spare fan belt and an brake fluid flush. If the battery is over 4 years old..install a new one. Plan on making sure your car is in TIP TOP shape.

Looking at this list.. it may be cheaper to rent a car.
Have fun!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Nice response! Thanks for all that info, especially about putting the car in "transport mode"! I will definitely make sure everything is in tip top shape before taking off. The last thing I want is to spend part of our trip at a repair shop. I agree with you, roadside assistance and GPS are a must! I was thinking about buying a European sim car for my phone and/or buying a GPS when we got there. I have a Garmin that is supposed to work worldwide, but on our last vacation to New Zealand it was all but worthless.

Can I ship the car without plates and just put them on at the docks?

Lastly, what do you think of my list? Would you add/remove any?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 AM
JR_2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cadamson
Can I ship the car without plates and just put them on at the docks?
Probably - And, you have to surrender your "pink slip / title" to the shipping company. US customs has to clear the export of your car. They will stamp your title with an inked stamp similar to an passport.
If there is a "lien holder" listed on your title, you will have to have it removed and/or signed off by the listed entity. You will get your title back during pick up.

Take an US phone and activate global roaming - Great for calling home.
If you have an iPhone - find free wifi and use facetime and iText - it's free.
If you have an smart phone, install Google voice app and call the USA and Canada for FREE. US # can call you for free also. All you need is wifi. You need to set up GV in the US prior to leaving. IP address is checked during setup.
Last I checked, T Mobile USA has a cheap plan making it near useless to have an EU phone. If the T mobile deal is gone or you don't want to do it, get an throw away phone with an pre-paid sim; BUT, the Issue with this is that once you change countries, you go into roaming and burning thru pre-paid $$.
I got tired of all of the hassle and just activate global roaming on my US phone.

Lastly, what do you think of my list?
It's too long. It's a lot of driving packed in a short amount of time.
Plus the wife will detour / pitstop you along the way.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I have thought about the same thing. It would be a great experience, but after reading some of the advice shared above, it sounds pretty involved, a little more than I think I personally would like to deal with. I would fear damage in transport or loading/unloading, on top of all the paperwork hassle. Parking can also be very tight depending upon where you are and with that can come scrapes or dings, if you care about that...

As a point of reference, I rented a BMW for 3 weeks, unlimited miles and drove all over Europe (Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria), skied in Zell Am See (the Porsche family Homestead and home of Porsche Design), etc. Total cost was 985.00, plus gas. I am doing it again this spring and the 3 week rental is the same $9xx something....pick up at the airport and return. Very simple. Doing a Mercedes this time. I will offer that touring Europe by car is a fantastic experience. Make your Porsche Factory Tour plans well in advance, as soon as you know the dates you will be there.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cadamson
That's awesome! I was hoping to get some feedback from local members around some of the places we'll be visiting. So how's the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse? Is it as amazing as the pictures and videos indicate?
Actually, while it is a beautiful area and a very nice road, you are limited to 100kmh max with less in many areas. And it is not a remote road, so there is a lot of traffic, etc. I can picture many, much more ideal roads.

While I do not consider it to be too complex, etc, and jp provided some excellent info, John is right. You may want to look at alternatives. A 991 at €1400/week or €3500/month is going to be somewhere in the same price range when all is said and done...
http://www.motion-drive-rental.com/r...-cars/request/
I don't know this co and have never done business with them. Sixt (the German Budget Rent a Car subsidiary) used to have Porsches at reasonable rates. Seems like they don't do this anymore.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by stevemfr
Actually, while it is a beautiful area and a very nice road, you are limited to 100kmh max with less in many areas. And it is not a remote road, so there is a lot of traffic, etc. I can picture many, much more ideal roads.

While I do not consider it to be too complex, etc, and jp provided some excellent info, John is right. You may want to look at alternatives. A 991 at €1400/week or €3500/month is going to be somewhere in the same price range when all is said and done...
http://www.motion-drive-rental.com/r...-cars/request/
I don't know this co and have never done business with them. Sixt (the German Budget Rent a Car subsidiary) used to have Porsches at reasonable rates. Seems like they don't do this anymore.
Are the speed limits strictly enforced? I was reading that it can get quite busy, as well as some of the other roads on my list, so I was considering hitting most of them on early mornings. I'm sure there are much better (more remote) options, but how would you recommend I go about finding them?

That's a great link, I'm going to keep shopping around for rentals. Driving a 991 would be quite nice, but I think I would miss the connection of a manual transmission, haha.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
As a point of reference, I rented a BMW for 3 weeks, unlimited miles and drove all over Europe (Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria), skied in Zell Am See (the Porsche family Homestead and home of Porsche Design), etc. Total cost was 985.00, plus gas. I am doing it again this spring and the 3 week rental is the same $9xx something....pick up at the airport and return. Very simple. Doing a Mercedes this time. I will offer that touring Europe by car is a fantastic experience. Make your Porsche Factory Tour plans well in advance, as soon as you know the dates you will be there.
Did you do the Porsche Driving Experience? I was considering that as well, seems fantastic. Renting a BMW, or comparable vehicle, would definitely be a decent compromise for what I want to do. I guess I just have to weigh how much of a premium I'm willing to pay for performance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Planning European "Driver's Vacation", Considering Shipping my TT