996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to adjust Wastegate rods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
How to adjust Wastegate rods?

I have the evo 1 bar waste gates on my Turbo S (K24's). I have an EVO Stage IV setup. I'm overboosting and need to let a little more boost off on my car. Do I make the rods longer or shorter?

Thank-you.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know which way you turn the bolts?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
Does anyone know which way you turn the bolts?
Depends on which way you are looking at it.

You want to relieve some tension on the rod so the wastegate will open sooner or more (whatever your desired result is).

Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
You make them longer. Every complete turn counter-clockwise equates roughly to reducing boost by .1 bar. So, if you are boosting 1.4 bar and don't want to go above 1.2, you need to turn the locking nuts 2 full rotations counter-clockwise (when standing at the rear of the car looking to the front of the car). I just did this adjustment last weekend because my X50 was boosting 1.3 to 1.5 after getting the GIAC computer upgrade, new diverter valves and the Evo wastegates. Mark the locking nuts so you keep accurate count of the complete rotations. Unfortunately, I may have blown my spark plugs before I could turn the boost down. I will be replacing the plugs this weekend to see if, after reducing boost, this stops my car's hesitations at WOT. Good luck.

Last edited by Valley996TT; 02-24-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys,

I appreciate this. I have the evo wastegates, and I have ruined a set of plugs already, these ones seem to "still" work perfectly but need to fix this boost problem before an overlean condition melts them or something else!

I'm going to fix those up as soon as I get home.

Seth.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Do it with a pressure tester. There is no way to accurately and evenly adjust them without using a pressure tester.

Once you've got a tester and are ready to adjust them, set them up so that the watesgate begins to crack once they hit 12psi. That'll keep you from overboosting and have the boost set to a safe 1.2 max.

Adjusting rod length with the number of turns method will get you close, but you need to do the final adjustment with a pressure tester.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:14 PM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bodybag
Do it with a pressure tester. There is no way to accurately and evenly adjust them without using a pressure tester.

Once you've got a tester and are ready to adjust them, set them up so that the watesgate begins to crack once they hit 12psi. That'll keep you from overboosting and have the boost set to a safe 1.2 max.

Adjusting rod length with the number of turns method will get you close, but you need to do the final adjustment with a pressure tester.
You are correct in the proceedure. The pressure test method is the only accurate way to adjust wastegates.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Dietz is on a distinguished road
Slick - esp. since there is balance involved

Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
I have this same problem, hopefully gonna get it sorted out at evoms next week.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:12 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Home made wastegate pressure adjusting tool

Old 02-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Cool little device. Do you hook it up to a compressor?

How do you use it? Where do you hook it up?

Thanks,
Seth

Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Dietz is on a distinguished road
Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Well I never got around to actually using it - my tech did it for me. Yes, it is connected to a compressor and then the outlet end is connected to the wastegate. Next slowly squeeze the trigger and watch the pressure rise. There is a measurement that Stephen gave me (approx 12-14 Lbs -I forget) and when it reaches that pressure, you want the rod to begin to move. You would adjust the nut forward or back to get it right. Once one side is done you do the same to the opposite side. When complete you should be able to connect to either side, supply pressure and see the rod begin to move at the same presure on both sides. This would mean the wastegates are equally adjusted.

Last edited by John D; 02-25-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I think if you set the actuator to start opening at 1.2 bar, you will over shoot. If 1.2 bar is your boost target, the rods need to be moving just before that so that the WG is fully open at 1.2 bar. Your upgraded WG springs lessen this issue some, whereas electronic boost controolers and some ball-valve manual boost controllers almost eliminate it. With some trial and error, you can dial it in exactly where you want it.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
How does overboosting lead to fouled plugs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to adjust Wastegate rods?