996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Durametric Knock Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
allz28 is on a distinguished road
Durametric Knock Off

Okay, so I can buy a cheap "Piwis" Chinese-made Durometric knockoff for $30 online.

I realize it has to be far inferior to a real Durometric, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually bought one and how it did?

My expectations are pretty low, but it would easily be worth my 30 bucks if it could clear my airbag light a couple times at the very least.

One day I'll get a real Durometric, but will one of these work in the mean time?

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
What kind of support are you going to get for that $30.00? What happens if you plug it into the OBDII port and you get an electrical back feed into the DME and fry it? Is that worth saving the 250 bucks?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Try it and let us know. It's only $30. TOFTT

Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alpine003
Try it and let us know. It's only $30. TOFTT
lool

Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
What kind of support are you going to get for that $30.00? What happens if you plug it into the OBDII port and you get an electrical back feed into the DME and fry it? Is that worth saving the 250 bucks?
Frankly, I don't expect or need support for 30 bucks. But the second question is why I'm asking if someone else has already bought one and tried it.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
How much juice can really flow through a USB port?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Voodoo08 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aerogt3
How much juice can really flow through a USB port?
enough to still fry an ecu if there is some sort of arc from a bad connection, doesnt take much.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, had a buddy who has a speed6 as his daily driver and had is ecu fried through the obdII port when a company was working on the car with questionable equipment.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
mas430 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by allz28
Okay, so I can buy a cheap "Piwis" Chinese-made Durometric knockoff for $30 online.

I realize it has to be far inferior to a real Durometric, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually bought one and how it did?

My expectations are pretty low, but it would easily be worth my 30 bucks if it could clear my airbag light a couple times at the very least.

One day I'll get a real Durometric, but will one of these work in the mean time?

Thanks!
Hi Allz, I have one ,works fine had it just about a year now shows live feeds etc ,clears codes ,airbags etc. Apparently I currently have a fault with my door lock causing my alarm to go off.
Some peolple would worry iof you gave them money ...

Last edited by mas430; 04-13-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: like typing
Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I also received a PM from someone that they have one of these and it has worked well for them. I would PM them back, but apparently I don't have enough posts.

Anyway, from the two people on here that own one, they say it works. I've seen countless people use cheap obdII scanners on other makes and models without ever hearing of a computer being fried. I'm not sure why this would be any different, but boy would that suck though.

Is there anyone out there who actually had one of these cause a problem?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by alpine003
Interesting... is this troll? 1 post just to say this?

Pic of your username on paper w/said tool plugged into your Porsche. I'm not a believer based on 1 questionable post.
I second that and would insist that this is taken one step farther...I need a link to a video of you plugging the unit into the car, pulling a code then removing it and starting the car to prove it has not fried the computer. If not then it never happened.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
its not a knock off, my buddy bought it for $50 shipped. Its an older version of the software with the cable that plugs into the USB on a laptop. I saw the disc its made by Durametric in 2006.

He showed me a ton of features and cleared the code my car had after I tried the airbox mod with a cap over the noise inlet-the little Y hose that comes from the throttle body into the airbox. It caused my CEL to come on, I removed the cap, he cleared the code and all is well again.

Another thing I learned is that the climate control display trick that shows the coolant temp in C is off, reading higher on average about 7 or 8 degrees more than the Durametric Software showed after driving around with it plugged in for 45 minutes. He sent me a link where he bought it.

http://www.tool4car.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products _id=125

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-22-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non-sponsor
Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Any cheap code reader can clear CELs, but id be all over this if it can clear airbag lights. The description says it does, but has anyone tried that yet?

My guess is that it is not an "older version" but rather a bootleg

Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
This is what I received in PM:

"I have a chinese knock off cable, works like the real cable, not limited to 3 usewrs, when the durametric starts up, it detects it as a conterfeit cable, but still works. turned off my air bag light, so worth the 30.00"

So this person says it worked on the air bag light.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
DubSport is on a distinguished road
Happy to hear about this - we need all the cost savings we can get for maintaining these cars!! (well I do)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Durametric Knock Off