996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sleep mode for remote keys and door does not open mechanical

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Gerry theSuisse is on a distinguished road
Sleep mode for remote keys and door does not open mechanical

I have a 996 C4 2002. I left the car for 6 days and the remote keys don’t work. The mechanical lock with the keys also is dead. I can turn the key clockwise and anticlockwise 90 degrees but nothing happens.
I managed to open the engine hood from under the rear light which I found from a thread on the internet and then the alarm went on, horn and lights, I believe indicating the battery is OK.
The central mirror light was on for some time and the keys still don’t work.
I am trying to open the front hood but cannot find any manual cable.
I am thinking if I disconnect the battery the alarm may reset and the remote keys could work. But maybe this will make things worse.
Any ideas how I can reset the keys or open the car?.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
RugRunner is on a distinguished road
I don't know the intracacies of the locking system--not by a long shot and I posted the same question a while back--only with mine, the lock did work when I physically put the key in and turned it.

How would it be possible for the mechanical lock to NOT work when the key is put in and turned?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Thank you,
It seems the lock is not working mechanically. Nothing happens when I turn any of the two keys I have.
Option is to break a glass to get access to the ignition switch. Then everything will be OK. But I don’t want to do it.
A locksmith even said he can’t open the car??? (How do they steal the cars then??)
Someone suggested turning the key quickly 3 times. That did not work either.
I am looking to see if the front bonnet can open manually to have access to the battery. That may reset the status of the key remotes.
I read that some Boxters have a cable at the corner of the plastic fender line that covers the inside part of the wheel arch. This is to the rear of the suspension spring near the edge of the wheel arch. Not sure if it’s there?
Other option is the "destroy",(rip the fabric) the soft top, I am looking to get a new one anyway?!!
What a mess

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 PM
2001Porsche911 is on a distinguished road
This is exactly the same thing that happend to me, my locks were seized and the remote went to sleep so i couldnt get into the car. There is a manual release on the right side wheel well, i just removed the side marker light, put a wire fish into the hole ( u can use a wire coat hanger as well) and was able to pull the cable out to manually release the hood. This then set off the alarm and re-activated the remote key. My car was a 2001 996, the manual release should be the exact same for your 2002 996

Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
That sounds like a good solution, thanks.
Let me try to understand. The manual release is on the right side, passenger's side, yes.
You did not take the wheel well off, just the side marker light, yes.
I will do it later on today, but just to make sure, I will take a picture as is, and attached it to confirm.
I have a European model and possibly the marker is different?
Do you have an electrical switch inside the car, on driver's left side, near the seat swithes, right at the bottom of the door, to open both front and rear bonets electrically?
I had a quick look and cannot locate the manual cable. lot's of mess of wires but no cable, any help.? I even took to top screws of of the wheel well but can't see anything.
One more worry is that I have opened already manually the rear hood, for the engine, and the alarm did go off, without re-activating the remotes. Maybe the front hood has a different set up and the remotes could work?
Any way any additional info will be great, photos or any diagram, but I will try today.
TX

Last edited by Gerry theSuisse; 04-22-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Great new guys.
I took the wheel well off finally to see where the wire is, found it and open the front bonnet.
The alarm went off BUT the remote keys still don’t work.
I now have both front and back bonnet open, inserted a new battery after that just in case, BUT the car is still locked.
Could it be because the bonnets are open? I don’t think so!
I am now thinking to take the battery off and leave it for a couple of hours.
Any ideas?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Alabamatoy is on a distinguished road
My owners manual for 2000 model says that removal of the battery defeats the alarm system.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
Had same issue:

AAA to Porsche Dealer. They fixed the lock which was broken and reset the remote key. Now mechanical lock works and I won't be in the same situation.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I would find a different locksmith. You need one with the BigEasy lockout tool. should be able to grab the handle to manually open the door.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I finally broke the glass, and turned the ignition on.
When I went to repair the lock the dealer told me the a righthand drive lock was fitted at some point, so the key did not work mechanically ?...
Anyway, all is well now, just be aware to regularly check you key lock that works.

Thank to all for the support and ideas.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If the key turns but feels like it isn't connected to anything, there is a broken connector on the inside of the handle. It is a very poorly designed piece. I had to fix mine - thread here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-failure.html

The remote unlock stops working (by design) after 5 days of inactivity. The only way to reset it is to use the key to start the car.

It is very interesting to note the little beads of sweat that start to form on your neck when your remote unlock doesn't work and you turn the key in the door lock only to feel it spin freely...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
FLi GLi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Slider
The remote unlock stops working (by design) after 5 days of inactivity. The only way to reset it is to use the key to start the car.
I am able to reset/reactivate/wake up the key by just putting it in the driver's door and unlocking/locking the car. Starting the car is not the only way to wake it.

FLi