996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I pod to CDR23 without cd changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
just4fun48025 is on a distinguished road
I pod to CDR23 without cd changer

Just bought a 2003 996 cab and OMG what fun. I would really like to be able to play my I Pod through the current system. I have a single disc CDR23 (no changer). I have read numerous forums on the subject and cannot find a consistent answer or the answers are for different configuration or models. I have the window sticker for the car which indicates that there was a radio upgrade, but my research shows it was the first stage upgrade (with 10 speakers). I do not believe it is the Boss system. Can someone help with a solid answer.

-how can I determine if its a Boss system?
-Is there a way to run my I pod through the cdr23? If yes tell me how.
Thanks. New Porsche guy

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
azaytsev has a spectacular aura aboutazaytsev has a spectacular aura about
Scosche FM wired modulator. works very good

Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Kjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the rough
I ask the same question, here is a thread with pics of my cdr23
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oem-radio.html

Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Becker Sound has a cable for the CDR23 - http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsc...nput_link.html

Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Bud4ya is on a distinguished road
I am glad you asked this as I am a new owner too. I have the CDR23 with just single disk and no Bose.

I read a lot last night and all I could find on DIY was with the CD Changer which I do not have.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyovino
Becker Sound has a cable for the CDR23 - http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsc...nput_link.html

The Becker cable is the way to go, easy to install and remove if you sell car. I used this cable on my 2000 911 Cab and it worked great. Has all of the proper connections, no splicing of cables, it actually connects into CD Changer socket. Since you do not have the CD Changer, should work perfectly for you. If you order cable, make certain you order radio removal pins as well to easily pull radio from dash. One word of warning when you remove radio, DO NOT disconnect power cable to the radio unless you have the radio security code for that particular radio. If power cable is removed, the radio may not operate when it is reinstalled as the anti-theft prevents it from doing so.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Thank you that was another question on the pins. So this sounds as easy as popping out the radio head unit plugging in the Becker cable then just routing it back out to plug ipod into. Then I am assuming you can control ipod through radio controls and it will charge as well?

Thanks

Originally Posted by windboat
The Becker cable is the way to go, easy to install and remove if you sell car. I used this cable on my 2000 911 Cab and it worked great. Has all of the proper connections, no splicing of cables, it actually connects into CD Changer socket. Since you do not have the CD Changer, should work perfectly for you. If you order cable, make certain you order radio removal pins as well to easily pull radio from dash. One word of warning when you remove radio, DO NOT disconnect power cable to the radio unless you have the radio security code for that particular radio. If power cable is removed, the radio may not operate when it is reinstalled as the anti-theft prevents it from doing so.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bud4ya
Thank you that was another question on the pins. So this sounds as easy as popping out the radio head unit plugging in the Becker cable then just routing it back out to plug ipod into. Then I am assuming you can control ipod through radio controls and it will charge as well?

Thanks
Yes, it is quite easy. Cable comes with very direct instructions for installation. Cable feeds behind radio and back to console on passengers side. That panel pops off easily. I would also suggest one of the ProClip mounts http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-veh...e-997/all.aspx Can be used for music from iPhone as well and charging iPhone.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Kjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the roughKjc227 is a jewel in the rough
The Becker cable doesn't work on cdr23
Only on cdr220 I've tried trust me.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kjc227
The Becker cable doesn't work on cdr23
Only on cdr220 I've tried trust me.
The link I provided is specifically for the cdr23, according to their website. You actually have to ship the radio to them for the installation as it gets hardwired to the unit.

Last edited by wyovino; 04-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
The link I provided is specifically for the cdr23, according to their website. You actually have to ship the radio to them for the installation as it gets hardwired to the unit.
Yes you're correct, read it and it says you have to send it in to them to hard wired in. As I did mine, as the link I posted with pics.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Are there any options without having to send radio out? I like the cable idea but from the comments it looks like it wont work with what I have CDR23. If not I will just send the unit out

Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Av8sky is on a distinguished road
I am in the same boat as you guys. My car is an 03 996 cab with the cdr23 and I have been researching this for a year and a half. Here is what I have figured out.... The Becker solution quality is not that great (not a stereo input). I have the scosche fm wired modulator and it works OK but sometimes I get interference and it is not quite CD quality sound. The best solution is of course the most expensive.... Remove the stereo amp, head unit and speakers and replace it all. That will cost a couple thousand installed properly. The next best thing that has gotten good reviews is the Dension gateway 500 or gateway 500 lite. The cost is 250-450 dollars. Also look into a DIY on renntech to put a ipad mini in a 996. Pretty cool set up uses original radio. My 2 cents on the research I have done. The problem is the MOST system that is installed on the 03-04 models. If you have cdr23 you have the MOST.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Av8sky
I am in the same boat as you guys. My car is an 03 996 cab with the cdr23 and I have been researching this for a year and a half. Here is what I have figured out.... The Becker solution quality is not that great (not a stereo input). I have the scosche fm wired modulator and it works OK but sometimes I get interference and it is not quite CD quality sound. The best solution is of course the most expensive.... Remove the stereo amp, head unit and speakers and replace it all. That will cost a couple thousand installed properly. The next best thing that has gotten good reviews is the Dension gateway 500 or gateway 500 lite. The cost is 250-450 dollars. Also look into a DIY on renntech to put a ipad mini in a 996. Pretty cool set up uses original radio. My 2 cents on the research I have done. The problem is the MOST system that is installed on the 03-04 models. If you have cdr23 you have the MOST.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM

You are correct, thanks for pointing this out

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I pod to CDR23 without cd changer