996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Yet another ex BMW loyalist making the switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
mrdezyne is on a distinguished road
Yet another ex BMW loyalist making the switch

For the risk of sounding like a copy cat with all the other newbies posting, I'll just say my recent past life has been spent with great BMW peeps in my area. The 996 seemed like a logical progression in my performance vehicle journey.

Picked up this 2000 in the Woodlands last week and drove it home, couldn't be more thrilled with the purchase or the PO. He really knew the car and cared for it very well. Besides giving me a very solid and great running 996, he had also made a few mods like H&R coilovers all around, fresh R1R Toyos, a very nice sounding exhaust bypass mod, and extra interior components, not to mention the LN IMS fix and oil seal replaced. After a very thorough PPI by Luis and his team at Autodynamica in the Woodlands, I had no reservations of flying down with money in hand and driving this beauty back.

The best part is my 3yr old is still able to ride along in the back in his car seat, looking forward to him growing up in a Porsche home. Maybe the 914 project will be finished by the time he is ready to drive... ugh.

6 speed manual, Metropol interior, and Palladio Metalic exterior. I haven't seen many this color.

If you are in the Tulsa area or surrounding area check out http://caffeineandgasolineu.ipage.com/ for the local performance car meets and events. I started this group 4 years ago and it keeps growing every year.

Looking forward to being a part of the 6speedonline forums...

Attached Images   

Last edited by mrdezyne; 07-31-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Welcome! What is this a BMW general pardon / amnesty day?!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. I would assume you have a CDR220 radio, in which that case you need manual WKD47912699. For more information Click Here. Awesome work on the caffeine and gas by the way, it looks like you have a great variety of cars that come out.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. I would assume you have a CDR220 radio, in which that case you need manual WKD47912699. For more information Click Here. Awesome work on the caffeine and gas by the way, it looks like you have a great variety of cars that come out.
Thank you, I'll get that manual on order.
The Design Engineer position posted on your website looks very appetizing! I've been a Mechanical Engineer for 17 years in the Marine market, however autos are my passion. However, whats in Wadsworth?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Wausau 911 is on a distinguished road
Try eBay for manual before dealer- but you probably know know this. Congratulations on the car & welcome!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrdezyne
Thank you, I'll get that manual on order.
The Design Engineer position posted on your website looks very appetizing! I've been a Mechanical Engineer for 17 years in the Marine market, however autos are my passion. However, whats in Wadsworth?
Oh very nice. All kinds of boats or specific ? I grew up on a lake in SW Michigan and frequent there often in the Summer. I recently just purchased a '65 Correct Craft and am working on restoring that, but it likely won't see the water until next year. Wadsworth is a typical small mid-western town with a great group of people, a lot of us live closer to Akron or Cleveland area as that's about 20-30 miles away with much more to offer.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM
My past life was in the bass fishing market with Ranger, Tracker, and the like, now I provide displays for Correct Craft, Master Craft, Supra, Cobalt, Regal, and the list goes on... Not to toot my own horn but the project that still makes me giggle like a school girl is one of my displays mounted in the center console of a McLaren MP4 12C GT3 track car. hehehehe, there I go again...

I enjoy what I do but working in the automotive market would bring my passion and skill together in one place. Whats the saying, "find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life"

Anyway, tomorrow morning is our first C&G meet since I have purchased this 996 so I'm eager to show it off. Look for pics posted on our Facebook or website, who knows what else might show up tomorrow...

FB - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Caffi...a/369311772902

Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 AM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
nice, congrats

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
And these came in today... now to find tires...

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Former Vendor
Can't wait to see those on

Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Congrats!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Congrats! Car looks to be in great shape. Enjoy and welcome to the Pcar world.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Will get some proper photos once the new shoes are installed, for now a few more shots from our last C&G meet in Tulsa...

I'm getting a Brake wear indicator so I'm looking at the Hawk Performance pads for street and occasional spirited driving. The front rotors look like they might need replaced, is it standard issue to replace all rotors at the same time or only as needed? IE; Front and rear.

I also think I ruptured a motor mount on the right side. Just a drip or two of some darker oil every now and then, not a consistent issue. The oil was just changed and is still nice and clear so I'm assuming this is the fluid from the mount... Are solid mounts recommended or just replace with an OEM?

Also, L555 = Palladio Metalic, odd color but seems fairly rare.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0144.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	265763  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mrdezyne; 07-31-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor
I would measure the rotor thickness (Min: 26mm front, 22mm rear I believe, but don't quote me on that), it seems that more often then not they need to be changed though. Caliper bolts need to be changed only of the caliper was removed. When doing pads only, the caliper does not need to be removed (expect on a C4S/Turbo/GT3 rears). I would go with standard mounts if it's going to be street driven and not tracked. We offer the OE Mounts along with brake service kits, for more information Click Here.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! I did the "fly and drive back" as well and also came from the BMW world. So glad I made the switch. I thought I'd miss my BMWs by now. Nope.....never looked back! Enjoy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet another ex BMW loyalist making the switch