996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

preventative maintenance, 7k, wow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM
wyo996 is on a distinguished road
preventative maintenance, 7k, wow

OK, so I've got a SC and other stuff, but a car that cost 85k new 12 yrs ago and at 45k miles it needs 7k preventative work, come on, its not a Ferrari. With IMS, RMS, brake flush, clutch, oil, filter, air cleaner and belt, water pump and a few odds and ends, and by an Indi shop. I do love the car. Will

Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
water pump doesn't need to be changed at this low mileage unless it's leaking.

the seals and clutch change should be around $2.5-3k. add another 1.5 for fluids, belts.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djantlive
water pump doesn't need to be changed at this low mileage unless it's leaking.
Some people would disagree with that. The plastic impeller blades on the pump get brittle with age and they can break. If small pieces break off of the blades, they can become lodged in the coolant passages inside the engine and cause spot overheating and cracks in the head. It's a relatively I expensive fix while everything is apart...

Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
Most of these issues can be dealt with in your own garage. If you shop around for your parts the cost is not near what the OP quoted, Belts WP etc can be easily done at home and gets you familiar with your car.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
Did all Tay and more and cost me a lot less than $7k at my Indy :/

Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
He likely has a lot less selection of indies to choose from that will work on a 996 in Wyoming. FWIW, that IS high for more populated areas, and a LOT of it is easy DIY stuff. May as well add a low tempt T-stat when you do the water pump.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Will - sounds like you have quite a nice 911 as well as the others in your stable! Have you done much maintenance work on your own before as these items are pretty straightforward projects if you want to give it a shot. We have several instructional articles about common 996 projects you may review here.

Mark/Pelican Parts

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Some people would disagree with that. The plastic impeller blades on the pump get brittle with age and they can break. If small pieces break off of the blades, they can become lodged in the coolant passages inside the engine and cause spot overheating and cracks in the head. It's a relatively I expensive fix while everything is apart...
The water pump in my 02 Boxster lasted 172K miles. The impeller blades were fine. The steel bearings were loose.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wyo996
OK, so I've got a SC and other stuff, but a car that cost 85k new 12 yrs ago and at 45k miles it needs 7k preventative work, come on, its not a Ferrari. With IMS, RMS, brake flush, clutch, oil, filter, air cleaner and belt, water pump and a few odds and ends, and by an Indi shop. I do love the car. Will
The car only needs that preventative maintenance if you believe it does.

If the RMS is not leaking it doesn't require a fix. If the IMS is ok you can of course elect to do some kind of aftermarket upgrade or leave it alone.

A brake flush is required every 2 years. The clutch needs replacing only if it slips or gives signs of going bad. Oil/filter, air filter, belt are not that expensive.

If the water pump is noise free, has no play and shows no sign of fluid leakage and the belt has no sharp edge the water pump is ok. The belt needs replacing every 60K miles or possibly 6 years.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM
wyo996 is on a distinguished road
In defense of the big bill, they did have problems with reinstalling the dual mass flywheel and it was apparently damaged when the lightwieght flywheel was installed, so that was another day of labor to put the lightweight back in and a stock clutch instead of the heavy duty one solved the chatter problem. So I did not 'need' a new clutch unless I did not want the chatter. I change my own oil and filter, the air cleaner (which is a ***** with an SC), have put on headers, exhaust and plenum myself among other maintenance items. It was just nice to get it all done at once as I rely on this car in the winter to travel weekly when I don't want to risk my other hot rods on icy roads. Will