996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 converted to 997 rsr street

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Jl4punch2 will become famous soon enough
996 converted to 997 rsr street

Im in the closing stages on finishing the deal on this 2001 996 which has been converted to a 997 RSR (cosmetic only) Just wanted to hear i your thoughts on the car and to see if you know any history of this build. I do have a good amount of info on the car, just wanted to see if I could get more.

The owner tells me the body work / original porsche rsr panels / paint was right at $65,000 including lights, etc. Does that sound right?

It also has HRE wheels with custom headers and exhaust which sounds insane. Interior is stock for now but I have a set of Recaro Sport CS seats which I will be installing including roll cage and carbon fiber.

With it being a 2001 996 with 82k miles but close to $80K invested in the last 3k miles, what do you think this car is worth?

Condition is flawless exterior and 9/10 interior.

Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
I have some pics of the build which is really cool too.

Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Car does have a rebuilt title do to this damage

Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
If it is stock, I would be afraid of the IMS/RMS issues. Any proof they have been upgraded/fixed? You are posting to the Turbo forum. You might not get that many proper replies as the mechanicals between the two are very different. Just my 2 cents. That being said, it appears to be a nice mod.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It looks great. Unfortunately (for the seller), cosmetic upgrades only return a small fraction of the price when it's time to sell the car. It may look great now, but it's still based on a wrecked 2001 car.

A wrecked 2001 with 82,000 miles would probably sell in the low teens if repaired to factory specs (assuming it doesn't have a savage title). With the additional body work and modifications, I would guess (remember, it's just a guess) that it is worth somewhere in the mid-20s. There might be some who will pay more for it, and there might not be.

Why somebody would spend $80K on a car like that is beyond my understanding. You could buy a nice 997 turbo for that money.

Personally, I wouldn't touch this one.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 AM
pmalik is on a distinguished road
$25k and that's generous and lucky

There is no such thing as "investing" in cars when you're talking about doing some custom bodywork stuff; they're expenses and essentially non-recoverable. I don't mean to be blunt, but what you have here is an 80k mile salvage title '01 911 with a body kit.

Also Factory RSR panels my *** - you can see where material was added in the front to blow out the flares. And offset is off on the wheels. Wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole.

Last edited by pmalik; 07-31-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 AM
mrdezyne is on a distinguished road
Whether its a real issue or not, the IMS and RMS fix is the one thing I was looking for when searching for my 996. Mid 20's does sound like a solid deal with a set of HRE's and OEM bodywork. I'd still be asking myself, if he has that much money invested in the modifications, why in the hell is he willing to take a $50K-$60K loss? I am admittedly a Porsche newbie, but this kind of reasoning is standard issue across the automotive community. The numbers don't add up even if he got the car for free to start with?

with that said, it is absolutely gorgeous and I would likely be tempted as well....

I did consider several Salvage title cars when I was searching, but the black veil will always follow the car for the rest of its life, whether it has been rebuilt properly or not. Its a shame really since there are probably some really good salvage deals to be had.

Last edited by mrdezyne; 07-31-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I think it's worth whatever your willing to spend, just don't expect to get any return back (loss more likely) and your probably going to have a hard time selling it if you ever do. I think it looks good, hard to tell from the pictures though. Needs some wheel spacers

Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
really curious what the seller is expecting to get

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Holdem will become famous soon enough
$80,000-$90,000+ is what "Wicked Motor Works" list their "salvaged" restored 911/996's. Example;

http://www.wickedmotorworks.com/card...hp?carid=10019

http://www.wickedmotorworks.com/card...hp?carid=10123

Some of their 911's (2001) list for as much as $184,000+

Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
Most of the non factory body kit look great from afar but are far from good. Like others have posted unless you have a wad that you need to burn, I'd stay away. Most salvaged cars are not fixed right.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
you said you are in the 'closing stages of finishing the deal' i assume you have talked money, what have you offered ? what has he countered with ?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM
This cars finish is amazing and looks incredible in person. The work is truly top notch. I really dont care about the salvage history bc I would keep the car and I know the history of the accident and it truly was minor. He has records and invoices from Porsches and the panels are original Porsche panels. The car would be cool to own and simple to maintain. It is hands down the best sounding 996 I have heard, paired with the looks of the car and HRE wheels (yes it needs spacers) I think it makes a great little weekend driver. I can purchase car for $37. I know I can purchase a turbo, etc etc, but I have owned a 996 turbo and I wont be purchasing this car for speed but more for its great look.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Holdem will become famous soon enough
Beautiful 911, and a great deal! Hope it works out for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 converted to 997 rsr street