996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Child seat for a 996 C4 Cab 3.4L

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM
AnakChan is on a distinguished road
Child seat for a 996 C4 Cab 3.4L

Hi chaps,

I've done some searching here but instead of necroposting old posts, I thought I'd start a new tread for this.

I've got an ageing 996 Cab C4 9.4L and I'm hunting around for a car seat for a 1 yr old which i intend to use in the rear seat.

I've been doing lotsa reading which has been complicated as some of the posts are 8 yrs old and the models are no longer offered. However I think I've narrowed down to a few here :-

1) Britax Roundabout (which one? there's 50 classic and 55)
2) Porsche Junior Seat G1
3) iZi Comfort X3

I did research other models and brands such as the Britax Evolva 1-2-3, Duo Plus & Recaro Young Sport which wasn't a guaranteed fit, Two-Way Elite which was too upright, Maxi Cosi Rubi & Tobi which looked to be too high, Nania Trio Plus which had a recall.

For the 3 seats above, could someone please confirm :-

a) they fit in the back of a Cab C4 as they're narrower than the standard coupe?
b) is the ISOFix base used or only the 3 point seatbelt?

Thank you

Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM
mhenry24 is on a distinguished road
Subscribed

Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
DaveFL1976 will become famous soon enough
I'm using the Britax Roundabout 55 in my '99 C2 Cab.
The kid seems to like it. You're best off removing the seat cushions to get the car seat lower and a couple more inches of legroom for your little one.
You'll also need to remove the base of the Britax 55 to get the best fitment. It is a tight squeeze for passengers with a child seat in the back, so count on either having mom OR the kid in the car. If they're both in there, you'll be the only comfortable one. So needless to say you won't have a very enjoyable ride, either.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Flyfalcons is on a distinguished road
Dave, is that tight fit with the child set faing forward? I can imagine one will barely fit, if at all, facing backward but I figured it wouldn't take up too much space facing forward. My little one is so new she's still under warranty, but once she's old enough to face forward I figured she'd be okay in the car. Fortunately momma is only 5'1" so she can sit with her seat fairly forward.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Dave, so with the base removed, that pretty much means no ISOFix base & it's seatbelt strap holding the child seat directly?

The child seat can't twist ' turn I hope?

I've been using the Maxi Cosi Pebble for my son's 0-12 mths without a base & it is somewhat possible for the Pebble to twist ' turn out. Although the belt still holds on the Pebble but it can turn such that its no longer rear facing.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 PM
I asked the same question on Rennlist and someone actually recommended checking whether front facing seats are legal for children under 2 yrs old in Japan. That was something I never considered and thought that just a child seat is sufficient. This will definitely make me rethink my child seat options all over again.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons
Dave, is that tight fit with the child set faing forward? I can imagine one will barely fit, if at all, facing backward but I figured it wouldn't take up too much space facing forward. My little one is so new she's still under warranty, but once she's old enough to face forward I figured she'd be okay in the car. Fortunately momma is only 5'1" so she can sit with her seat fairly forward.
Yeah, the child seat faces forward. I doubt it'd be possible to install a rear facing one. The kid's 3 and a half now, but she started riding in the Porsche after she turned one. That was Florida law at the time, but those regulations change all the time so you may want to check your local laws.

With the kid in the back, your passenger will be sitting more vertical than usual to afford some legroom for the little one. I think my daughter's so used to having all sorts of room in the back of my wife's Ford Edge that she whines if she's a little cramped in the Porsche because the passenger seat is back. So for the most part I adjust the passenger seat forward as much as possible when the kid's back there.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by AnakChan
Dave, so with the base removed, that pretty much means no ISOFix base & it's seatbelt strap holding the child seat directly?

The child seat can't twist ' turn I hope?

I've been using the Maxi Cosi Pebble for my son's 0-12 mths without a base & it is somewhat possible for the Pebble to twist ' turn out. Although the belt still holds on the Pebble but it can turn such that its no longer rear facing.
Correct. No base. You're using the 3 point seatbelt to secure the child seat. There are no 'Latch(tm)' connections in the 996 to accommodate today's new seats. The Britax 55 is a pretty good fit for the rear of the 996 cab with the seat cushions removed. Originally, I would struggle with adjustments and seat belts for 15 minutes to get things right, but now I can get the seat in and out quickly for when I need to work on the car or whatever. If done right, it's really secure and nothing wiggles around.

You can find some OEM Porsche child seats that pop up on Ebay occasionally. Take a look at those, but be weary... believe it or not child seats have expiration dates so that you keep up with the latest seat safety technology.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I just tie my kid to the roof rack, problem solved.