996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My new baby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
CapitolAK is on a distinguished road
My new baby

Just purchased a 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2. Built in January 98 and was #76 off the line. 6 speed. silver, black leather interior. 62.7k miles.

Picked it up for $18k from some shmuck whose wife made him get rid of it. Beyond ecstatic. Only issue she has, is she needs something checked out in her vacuum lines. ASG in Merrifield informed me it was a minor procedure where they'd check the vacuum seal around the gas tank.

Other than that, big step up and change from my BMW 330Ci. She revs strong and long. And the way she picks up speed is amazing. My life is complete...

Also, any info on recommended mods would be appreciated. She's had the IMS repair, clear corner lights, upgraded stereo, and TECHART sideskirts added.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
DeskJob1 is on a distinguished road
The seller might be a member here. I take it you are excited about the deal worked out with the seller. At any rate, congrats and enjoy.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM
CapitolAK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DeskJob1
The seller might be a member here. I take it you are excited about the deal worked out with the seller. At any rate, congrats and enjoy.
No, he felt like a schmuck after the fact. We had agreed to the price over the phone and later when he did some research he realized he had undervalued it. But, he was a man of his word and stuck to our original agreement. But, he knows I am forever in his debt for letting this get away at the price it did.

Thanks though.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM
feroz928 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your purchase, you will need to post some photos when you have an opportunity. There are lots of mods you might consider; however, I would encourage you to practice "Preventative maintenance" Good luck and welcome aboard

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
No photos....... means it didn't happen.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	worthless.gif
Views:	347
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	297756  
Old 11-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CapitolAK
Just purchased a 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2. Built in January 98 and was #76 off the line. 6 speed. silver, black leather interior. 62.7k miles.

Picked it up for $18k from some shmuck whose wife made him get rid of it. Beyond ecstatic. Only issue she has, is she needs something checked out in her vacuum lines. ASG in Merrifield informed me it was a minor procedure where they'd check the vacuum seal around the gas tank.

Other than that, big step up and change from my BMW 330Ci. She revs strong and long. And the way she picks up speed is amazing. My life is complete...

Also, any info on recommended mods would be appreciated. She's had the IMS repair, clear corner lights, upgraded stereo, and TECHART sideskirts added.
Congrats... One question. How did you know that it was #76 to come of the production line? I have the same year and would like more details on mine. Thanks.
BTW I have to agree with Larry, you have all the time in the world to mod up AFTER you spend a lot of cash on DIY..PM. PM is far more important at this point of your ownership.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 11-07-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
a short shift kit was my first mod, one of the best 'cheap' mods you can do

Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Congratulations and welcome!! As mentioned before lets see this beauty

Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Benni is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. I have a '99 C2 myself and love it. I agree with PM first and the IMS is a big ticket upgrade. Other items to consider are AOS (air oil separator), coolant expansion tank, RMS (rear main seal - very likely done at the same time as the IMS), and the water pump. The water pump would be my next item if I were you.

For some VERY simple upgrades, LED interior lights, tint windows, replace oddments tray, ultimate cup holders. I know, not exactly performance items but help make the car more livable if you drive it often - as you should!
Other great items are exhaust - very happy with Fabspeed but there are plenty of other good options.
If you have stock wheels I highly recommend upgrading. The stock 17" make the car look dated IMO.
Last, and most important, get out for a track day. You really need to get out on a track to understand what these cars are capable of!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
buzz, which short shift kit did you get?

Originally Posted by buzzm
a short shift kit was my first mod, one of the best 'cheap' mods you can do