996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Strip Side markers DIY thread?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
LED Strip Side markers DIY thread?

Hi guys. I spent the whole afternoon searching for the thread that has a DIY conversion of the oem sidemarkers from bulb to LED strip. I remember coming across this thread that has pictures on how the guy cut through the back of the sidemarkers and inserted a LED strip. Now, I couldn't find it :-(

Can anyone point me to the right direction? I got some cheap clear sidemarkers off ebay and honestly I'm not too happy about them. The LED strip sidemarker seller on ebay does not ship to my location so I'm stuck doing a DIY with my old oem sidemarkers. Any information would help and is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Going from orange/smoked/clear side markers is basically a first must do mod for anybody, but I've never heard anybody complain about it. First off IMHO, going for something cheap was your first mistake, and you should have just bought a set of OEM Euro smoked or clear side markers. They're less than $50 shipped from multiple places, so I'm not sure what exactly you bought that was "cheap" compared to this. Everybody I know (which is a LOT of people) have been perfectly happy going to the OEM Euro parts. Have you seen a car with the OEM markers and confirmed you're not going to be happy with those?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Coloradocurt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Going from orange/smoked/clear side markers is basically a first must do mod for anybody, but I've never heard anybody complain about it. First off IMHO, going for something cheap was your first mistake, and you should have just bought a set of OEM Euro smoked or clear side markers. They're less than $50 shipped from multiple places, so I'm not sure what exactly you bought that was "cheap" compared to this. Everybody I know (which is a LOT of people) have been perfectly happy going to the OEM Euro parts. Have you seen a car with the OEM markers and confirmed you're not going to be happy with those?
I suspect that you've misunderstood what the OP was trying to accomplish as an end result. Everything I've found is basically a clear side marker (housing) which comes with a single orange bulb, and guys change out that orange bulb for a single, white LED bulb. I found one on eBay which had a strip of LED's inside but they were also orange when illuminated. And I believe that most (if not all) states require that the side markers illuminate orange.
For the OP, here's a link to a source for a strip of white LED's that I've used to make DRL's:
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/lu...pmg10495-.aspx
This LED strip can be cut into two separate pieces.
Here's a shot of the DRL I just completed along with screening behind the grilles:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P3030884.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	341688   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3030882.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	341689  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Hope this is what you're looking for.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3930846

Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've got OEM smoked side markers with amber LED bulbs. I'm happy with the combination.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 AM
thanks

Sorry for the delayed response to all your feedbacks. I was out of town and 3G signal was just bad. Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone who responded. All of the information you gave were very useful. And yes, the links were the correct ones. Cheers!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:28 AM
seeeu911 is on a distinguished road
You may not have to hack open to get LED side markers
On Amazon $89 and they ship to international.
Amazon.com: CrazyTheGod Carrera 911 996 Side Repeater LED CH for Porsche: Automotive Amazon.com: CrazyTheGod Carrera 911 996 Side Repeater LED CH for Porsche: Automotive

Last edited by seeeu911; 03-09-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by seeeu911
You may not have to hack open to get LED side markers
On Amazon $89 and they ship to international.
Amazon.com: CrazyTheGod Carrera 911 996 Side Repeater LED CH for Porsche: Automotive
thank you! Just finished buying this online. Owe you guys 1! :-)

Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM
oldsock is on a distinguished road
I just saw these this past weekend. They look very modern. Has anybody tried them?

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...demarkers.html

Old 03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
The best and most cost effective way is OEM euro lenses with high quality SMD LED bulbs.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
The best and most cost effective way is OEM euro lenses with high quality SMD LED bulbs.
I disagree. The Oem lens because of its design seems to use the reflected incandescent light evenly. I've a high quality 5 led SMD bulb in the Oem style housing and it looks funny. Not reflecting evenly.
Looks like this design has 5 led spread evenly in the lens.
I'm looking forward to mine arriving.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
thank you! Just finished buying this online. Owe you guys 1! :-)
Do post pictures when done. I want to see how this looks on the car when it lights up. It can either be very nice or very ricey.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I will probably order these soon,my aftermarket ones now are starting to yellow a bit. Don't forget to order a LED Flasher for the car or you will get hyper blinking.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seeeu911
I disagree. The Oem lens because of its design seems to use the reflected incandescent light evenly. I've a high quality 5 led SMD bulb in the Oem style housing and it looks funny. Not reflecting evenly.
Looks like this design has 5 led spread evenly in the lens.
I'm looking forward to mine arriving.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RFparkinglight.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	344968  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Strip Side markers DIY thread?