996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

A custom way to get Sea Foam into the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Heima996C4S is infamous around these parts
A custom way to get Sea Foam into the engine

Just a quick post to show what I did to get Sea Foam into the intake tract easily and evenly every time...

I have been using Sea Foam for years and years in every vehicle I have ever owned, everything from muscle cars to direct injection newer engines, always with positive results. My daily driven 2004 Carrera 4S just passed 75K miles and I really wanted to put Sea Foam to the test but wanted to ensure the Sea Foam went in properly , so I took the aluminum tube from my EVOMS intake, and drilled and tapped it with the proper thread, then installed brass fittings that suit my needs using copper RTV and a gasket to seal it properly. Also this was an ideal time to clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. Now as you can see from the photos I can add Sea Foam into the intake tract very easily any time I see fit, the location is behind the MAF but in front of the TB, so the Sea Foam will clean the throttle body, my IPD plenum and everything beyond as the engines vacuum pulls the chemical in.

I recommend doing this with a warm engine, I pour half the bottle in the gas tank and then put the other half of the bottle in thru this intake tube.

Best Wishes Everyone

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	399378   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	399379   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	399380  
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
very interesting..last time on tried it on another vehicle the car smoked like a locomotive which I assume it did the job, lasted about 5 minutes.I would do it right before oil change

Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 AM
33jacket is on a distinguished road
my opinion on this....and i am not saying i am right, but maybe just nervous about doing this...is that if the engine is fine, and running nice...why do it??? I think it is running rough or some reason particularly, give it a shot...otherwise just hold off

not saying i am right, but I have heard some not good stories too

Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by barncobob
very interesting..last time on tried it on another vehicle the car smoked like a locomotive which I assume it did the job, lasted about 5 minutes.I would do it right before oil change
Seafoam is effectively this, if you burn this you would get the smoke anyway. I have made a fortune getting old civics and trucks that would not run right with the stuff. Not valuable enough to pull the motor out and do it properly, but enough to get someone down the road. Modern motors not so much, though it does clean injectors really well if put in the tank.

4 parts Diesel 2 parts naphtha 1 part IPA

Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
weary microbe, my beer of choice is IPA,,my system should be spotless::::}}

Old 08-17-2014, 03:06 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Heima996C4S
Just a quick post to show what I did to get Sea Foam into the intake tract easily and evenly every time...

I have been using Sea Foam for years and years in every vehicle I have ever owned, everything from muscle cars to direct injection newer engines, always with positive results. My daily driven 2004 Carrera 4S just passed 75K miles and I really wanted to put Sea Foam to the test but wanted to ensure the Sea Foam went in properly , so I took the aluminum tube from my EVOMS intake, and drilled and tapped it with the proper thread, then installed brass fittings that suit my needs using copper RTV and a gasket to seal it properly. Also this was an ideal time to clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. Now as you can see from the photos I can add Sea Foam into the intake tract very easily any time I see fit, the location is behind the MAF but in front of the TB, so the Sea Foam will clean the throttle body, my IPD plenum and everything beyond as the engines vacuum pulls the chemical in.

I recommend doing this with a warm engine, I pour half the bottle in the gas tank and then put the other half of the bottle in thru this intake tube.

Best Wishes Everyone
This works great, but do it out of your neighborhood. It will smoke more than you could imagine. Your neighbors may complain. Also, any intake vacuum line should suck the Seafoam in and works just fine as well.

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 08-17-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add info on vac.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:04 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I have to agree here.

Originally Posted by 33jacket
my opinion on this....and i am not saying i am right, but maybe just nervous about doing this...is that if the engine is fine, and running nice...why do it??? I think it is running rough or some reason particularly, give it a shot...otherwise just hold off

not saying i am right, but I have heard some not good stories too

Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I would normally do this on a neglected high mileage older car that warranted it. But on a newer Porsche with only 75k miles and the assumption that synthetic oil was used on regular OCI's, I dunno. Why fix what ain't broke applies here IMO. Seems a lot of effort for a fog show.
Watch out for cylinder scoring...

Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Sea Foam is a great and proven product. I don't, however, see the benefit to all the (great by the way) work you did. Simply put it in the tank and it will mix with the gasoline and enter the fuel system evenly.