996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1996 996 Door speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Duncan996 is on a distinguished road
1996 996 Door speakers

I have a 1996 996 that currently doesn't have door speakers and only have the door panel with the side pocket. Yesterday I had to work on the window when I notice a cable not being used where the door speaker would be.

So here is my questions:
1. Is that cable for adding stock speakers?
2. Has anyone replace the door panel and added stock speakers to that spot?
3. Will the stock speakers work off the stock stereo or will I have to amplify it?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:23 PM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
1. Is that cable for adding stock speakers?
Not entirely sure. Best option here is for you to tap that wire at the terminal ends and connect up a test speaker and see. I don't recall mine having any speaker wiring. You can probably use a spade connector to connect to it test it for sound output.

2. Has anyone replace the door panel and added stock speakers to that spot?
Yes I have. The easy way is to go to Ebay and buy factory door speakers (they will come with a black housing and speaker driver). You can either use them as is or replace the speaker. These will screw right in to the factory attachment points. Next buy a color matched door card to replace yours with. If you have a common interior color this should be easy. Mine was blue so I had to have my existing door panels customized. ($$$ brutally expensive)

3. Will the stock speakers work off the stock stereo or will I have to amplify it? I can't say for sure if they will work off of your stock stereo. I will say it is very inexpensive to just run an amplifier. If you want to keep it simple, just get one that takes in speaker level inputs. If you are going high end, you might even want to change your head unit to one with RCA pre-outs.

Is your plan to run full range speakers in the dash and door? I'm running separates. Door has a "woofer" and dash has a mid and tweeter.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
"If you want to keep it simple, just get one that takes in speaker level inputs."

Amplifiers don't "take in" speaker level signals - by definition, a "speaker level" signal is already amplified...

Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 AM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
Not sure if we are talking about two different things but this linked amplifier for example takes in Speaker Level (Amplified) signals. It then drops them down to pre-out levels before it re-amplifies them. This is an easier solution as the pre-out conversion is built in.

Speaker-level (high-level) inputs with signal sensing for automatic turn-on

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KAC-8406.html

Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM
996inTX is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duncan996
I have a 1996 996 that currently doesn't have door speakers ... <snip>
Did they make a 996 in 1996?

Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996inTX
Did they make a 996 in 1996?

No, but I'm sure he meant '99...pretty easy typo to make when you've got 996 on the brain...

Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Can you post a picture of your panel? As far as I know, I believe they all came with speakers. Reference this tech article.

Particularly figure 4:

I'd plug in a speaker and see what happens.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 PM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
NO NO NO absolutely NOT. I wish to save you from the nightmare that is putting in door speakers where none were installed by the factory. I too had cubby holes where door speakers would go. To make a long story short, I wanted subs in the doors. (see Bang Tang sub install) I diligently collected to be what I though were all of the parts that I needed to do the job; speaker boxes, door panels, speakers, etc. The door panels that I got were for an 02 and and 03. Didn't work. They look alike but they don't connect alike. Wasted money on them and had to go with a completely different set. Second. There are NO wires leading from where the stock amp would be to the door harness, meaning the once I brought a wire to the foot well, I had to disassemble the wiring harness that leads through the door sill and into the door to perform major surgery by installing pins in the missing spots. This harness disconnects in the sill but is very very prone to cracking and breaking if handled wrong. I fortunately called Del Ray Customs whom I have done business with before and got the heads up. I'm going to say all in all is was a 20 man hour job to install the door subs, sub amp and new head unit. For the record, I am an 8 out of 10 in capability. MPITA. If you want a sub, get a footwell sub or small sub boxes behind the front seats.