997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: ECU Tuning Poll & Users' Reports for 997 Turbo
36.84%
35.09%
Other US Tuners (Post tuner's name please.)
17.54%
Other European Tuners (Name please.)
10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

ECU Poll and Users' Reports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:13 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
ECU Poll and Users' Reports

There have been scattered reports on various threads and I think it would be helpful to new owners if the data could be all in one place. For 997 Turbo only please.

Please don't just vote, also let us know what horsepower level upgrade it is, what other components are necessary (clutch, etc.), how does it drive on the streets, versus at the track.

Positive reports are important, but more helpful would be the answer to the questions: What would you do to improve the program (throttle response, how soon or smoothly torque comes on, etc.) , and if there is any problem. Reports only; no flame war please, if possible . Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cannga; 04-18-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:31 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
2009 997TT
  • EVOMSit 580
  • EVOMS BRV's (included with flash)
  • Cargraphics Loud Exhaust
  • stock clutch
Excellent daily drivability with significant improvement over stock. No track time yet. No negative issues so far.

Improvements: in a perfect world, even further reduction in lag.

Last edited by sparkhill; 04-18-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added improvements
Old 04-18-2009, 02:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
cannga, you know what my answer is...

Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I have EVOMSit with a 200 cell cat/exhaust upgrade. I don't even know what HP/TQ level it is tuned for. I just asked Todd to optimize my tune for 0-100 and he did it. I'm not that concerned with exact numbers. I trust what they are doing. I can feel a signiificant difference and that is good enough for me. No clutch issues so far (1500 mi).

Old 04-19-2009, 12:52 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have had several flashes all done via Evoms . All have been great but the latest upgrade along with the race exhaust has just blown away any car i have ever drove or sat in . It is just astounding .

There's that split second when the pedal goes down where the driver almost senses that he's about to ride a tidal wave of power . It's completely different than stock or a simple stage two . After first gear one almost expects second gear not to pull as hard and then third .. it just does not let off .

The race exhaust sound hits every thrill sound imaginable. Stock was boring . Regular Tubi was great at high rev but the Tubi race sounds deeper and calmer at low rev and and just wails out at high. Increadible !!

You have seen the recent Evoms 850 and pursuit to keep pushing that envelope . You see the 996tt progress too .

!t's nice to see a tuner step up to the demands of of select handful who want more . better , faster out of their cars . That's what I was looking for in a tuner and that's why I chose Evoms .

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks guys -- keep it coming. The "Other Tuners" group, if possible please post which company you are using.

And please don't forget to post user's report like yrralis et al, above. It makes the thread more interesting & useful.

Bobby,
Yes I know and I look forwards to your enlightened (and enlightening) report! BTW, I like what I see in your signature -- 996 GT3 is exactly what I have in mind to pair up with the Turbo. This combination might be better than GT2 IMO.
Unfortunately, I have son & daughter who are about to enter college.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
PES tune, 480 hp at the wheels ~ 550-580 at the crank, stock clutch. The PES is a custom tune, not a generic off the shelf version. Fabspeed headers, tubi exhaust. TQ/HP curves are very similar to the Ruf curves. Works great at the track, very smooth, consistant delivery. Seems stock until you really hammer it!
In fact, it has so much TQ, that on a short track I don't even engage the SC mode as it's too torquey and I find the tires breaking loose.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Bobby,
Yes I know and I look forwards to your enlightened (and enlightening) report! BTW, I like what I see in your signature -- 996 GT3 is exactly what I have in mind to pair up with the Turbo. This combination might be better than GT2 IMO.
Unfortunately, I have son & daughter who are about to enter college.
All I can say is...I miss my car.

Prices are really falling on 996 GT3s, it probably won't get into my range until after the MK2s are out. I hope to get in one before fall.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the report. Very impressive. Is this the site? http://www.pes-tuning.com/

I probably most definitely maybe am going to go with either EVOMSit or GIAC, but for those who might be interested, how was it custom made? Did they use your car to tune the program? And is the custom made version available for others?

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
PES tune, 480 hp at the wheels ~ 550-580 at the crank, stock clutch. The PES is a custom tune, not a generic off the shelf version. Fabspeed headers, tubi exhaust. TQ/HP curves are very similar to the Ruf curves. Works great at the track, very smooth, consistant delivery. Seems stock until you really hammer it!
In fact, it has so much TQ, that on a short track I don't even engage the SC mode as it's too torquey and I find the tires breaking loose.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
"Gentle" reminder: Those who vote "Others" please post the name of tuners, and what else was done to the car power-mod wise (header, intercooler, modded VTG, etc.).
It would make the thread a lot more interesting and helpful. TIA.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
GIAC tune, of which I have written extensive reviews of. To date, I cannot imagine a more complete, finessed and seamless program. It has exceeded all of my high expectations

Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Banned
Neeeenja is a jewel in the roughNeeeenja is a jewel in the roughNeeeenja is a jewel in the rough
I am still on the fence on the ECU - I honestly have no idea where to use the power of this car. The reduction in lag may be reason alone to go head with tis mod...

Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
On the related issue of power and dyno: followed are the words of wisdom from Todd of AWE Tuning regarding how misleading a dyno could be. My understanding then is a dyno could be manipulated, including engine dyno. More valid confirmation could be done one of two ways:
1. Do 2 dyno runs, one pre and one post modificatiion, and look only for the delta -- the change between the 2 curves.
2. It's ideal to also have Vbox data http://www.vboxusa.com/ , under same conditions. This is why Alex's Performance Table is so cool; obviously not same conditiion, but this is not a perfect world. http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/433719/Performance_Table/page1.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-turbo-forum/486470-randy-probst-drives-aprs-997-turbo-2.html
Any load type dyno, whether Mustang, Maha, Dyno-Dynamics, or Dynapak, can be calibrated to show whatever you want them to show. The shape of the curve is linked to the load which is adjustable on all these dynos. The scale is linked to the software correction factors, which is adjustable on almost all these dynos. Therefore, there is not one "right" dyno as they are all at the mercy of their software parameter set-up.

HOWEVER, as long as the software parameters that are used for the baseline are ALSO used for the modification test, the results are valid, REGARDLESS OF SHAPE OR SCALE. Sorry for shouting, but this is an essential concept to understand. The "delta" or difference between the curves is all that matters as long as the load being supplied to the car is not unrealistic.

For example, we could have loaded up the 997 GT2 lower in the curve to produce more boost in that area which in turn would make the low end look more powerful. HOWEVER, such a load caused clutch slippage, which immediately told us we were loading the vehicle in an unrealistic manner. On an engine dyno, there is no clutch to worry about. But there is a clutch to worry about on the street and track, which is where the power is being used in the real world. Thus, clutch spec is an important factor to consider when looking at chassis dyno results.

The only major dyno that does not have variable load control is the Dynojet. Instead, they rely on a rather unconventional mathematical calculation of power as a function of how fast their known roller mass can be accelerated to a given speed. Without a variable load control, realistic adjustment to the vehicle is not possible, resulting in rather "isolated from reality" results, in my opinion and others.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yes, an engine dyno is just as susceptible. Engine dynos rely on software to convert raw sensor signals into mapped curves, and settings in that software can be changed just like with the software used on a chassis dyno.

So, unless all these settings are somehow used universally by all dyno operators, or if tuner dynos were subject to governing body regulation, not even the results from an engine dyno can be taken absolutely.

I am glad to see that this information is slowly seeping into the forum readers. We've been preaching this for years.

Bear in mind that there are a lot of variables that need to be controlled for Vbox runs, too, in order to make them universally comparable, like ambient temp, road surface/grade, headwind/tailwind, etc., but at least the TOOL being used for data capture is a "sealed box" for all intents and purposes.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Chris,

Thanks for the report. Very impressive. Is this the site? http://www.pes-tuning.com/

I probably most definitely maybe am going to go with either EVOMSit or GIAC, but for those who might be interested, how was it custom made? Did they use your car to tune the program? And is the custom made version available for others?
It took him about 2+ hrs to do it, going thru every possible parameter and setting it for my car/mods/needs. I'm sure my file is available, but he will custom tailor it to your needs as well.
FYI, Farnbacher-Loles also does their own proprietary ecu flash, also custom, it was/is even cheaper than the generic ones you mentioned, give them a call. I came very close to having theirs done on my car just to complete my FL transformation, but when I dyno'd my car I loved what I saw from the PES, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
I think a custom flash is better, kinda like comparing OTC meds with Rx ones, which work better?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Go apr!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Poll and Users' Reports