997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Possible to Delete Wing from 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Luxembourger is on a distinguished road
[bump]

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Curious in this as well - I might not have the guts to go through it all but love the clean wingless look on any 911 and would like to know what is involved.

I think the wide body with the side scoops and no wing make for one heck of a stealth 997. Seems to be many theads and info going from no wing TO various wing but not the other way around!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 AM
Lanre Soetan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bonehead
Done and done.

Very very nice. I want to have this done too, when I get my .2. Do you have details sir?

Old 06-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Brainz will become famous soon enoughBrainz will become famous soon enough
I'll defer to Bonehead on his 997TT experience, but I have previously replaced a fixed wing on my old 997 Carrera S with a factory elevating tail and there's nothing to it. I bought a used engine decklid off eBay for less than $500 delivered and bolted it up - - 4 bolts on at the hinges is all it takes - - and reconnect the harness (plug and play). Note: you will have to replace the decklid including the metal base, elevating spoiler with hinges, accordion, and lift mechanism, as well as the engine fan and attached wire harness. Also, make sure the seller packages the tail VERY well if it's being shipped. The complete tail weighs ~35lbs, and if the box is dropped on one of the corners, the corners of the metal base can get bent.

Having surveyed the differences between the TT and Carrera tail, I believe the Carrera tail to be smaller and lighter and should fit without issue. Bonehead's success seems to confirm that. One difference that might impact engine performance slightly is that the TT decklid has air ducts that route to the air box providing cooler air. While all the Carreras (base, S, and 4s) use the same tails by generation, the 7.1 Carreras will have a different intake hole (on the left side), but the 7.2 Carreras will have both a left and right air hole to the (different MA1) engine. Take a look at eBay and you'll see what I mean. Another thing: the black metal cover on the engine side of the decklid (the piece that has the Mobil One sticker) also has an emissions sticker with the model and year of the car - - but honestly, if you're swapping from a TT to Carrera tail, you already have heard from the purists and probably don't care.... As long as you keep your original tail, you can always swap back.

This mod is actually pretty easy and reversible, and assuming you can find a tail that matches your paint color on eBay, it probably costs less $750. Even if you have to have it re-painted to match, it's probably less expensive than replacing the hydraulic cylinders in the TT (not that I'm advocating that as an equivalent fix/replacement). But realistically, unless you regularly run well into triple digit land, you'll likely not notice any meaningful handling differences. After all, thousands of Carreras manage to function safely at those speeds. That's purely my opinion based on personal experience. Hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Lanre Soetan is on a distinguished road
Thanks Brainz.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Hate to necro a thread but I have always been curious about this "mod" and someone posted a video of their Turbo without a wing the other day:

Can't tell if I like it or not. I usually think I prefer the clean and classic slope of the NA 997's rear lines, and assumed I'd prefer it on the Turbo too, but I almost think the side intakes become too distracting without the wing.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:53 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I think - this is too much effort to kill the aerodynamics and value on an amazing car. Just buy the C4s and sell the turbo. Safer and cheaper.

You will kill the value on a great car. That said it’s your $. Do as you please but it’s a totally bad idea for safety and resale. Cannot think of anyone I know would covet this set up.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:50 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
I really can't imagine aeros being that negatively affected considering the rest of the 997 lineup doesn't have the Turbo wing and do just fine at speed.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Rjantelly is an unknown quantity at this point
I did on mine and made slugs for the holes. 100% reversible when i want to put the wing back on.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
My plan is to replace the wing with a GT2 type fixed wing.

Having driven a older SC with a whale tale and how cool that looked, I just can't see driving a turbo without one.

Ed