997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Specificially What Does Sport Button Do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Specificially What Does Sport Button Do?

I have custom JIC exhaust with push button valve control and also coil-overs. Hence, for the past 3 months I've owned my car I've been thinking the Sport button wouldn't do anything because my suspension and exhaust are modded.

But pressing sport I think I notice two things but want to make sure it isn't in my mind...

1) Throttle response seems sharper. That would make sense.
2) At idle the exhaust gets a tinge louder. This seems odd because I have a separate button that opens flaps which I can see as they are right by the outlet. The Sport button doesn't visibly open anything. But I wonder if there is something else happening that might change sound at idle?

thoughts?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
Sport changes engine mapping. My stock Turbo S exhaust has no flaps, and gets noticeably louder with more crackle and pops when in Sport. It increases throttle response as well. The owners manual actually lists everything the Sport button does.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cscat
Sport changes engine mapping. My stock Turbo S exhaust has no flaps, and gets noticeably louder with more crackle and pops when in Sport. It increases throttle response as well. The owners manual actually lists everything the Sport button does.
Don't think it changes engine mapping but it does change throttle mapping...there is a difference.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Here's the page in the manual that describes the functionality of Sport mode. More info in subsequent pages.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997.2 Turbo Owners Manual.pdf (165.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 12-21-2014, 12:42 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Sport mode change many things, among them is both throttle response and engine mapping (boost). I do not know but suspect this is a reflection of changes in AFR as well. The sound you hear - slightly louder and higher pitched - is a result of the mapping change. If you mod the ECU, for example in my car with the GIAC ECU tune, the sound does something similar - louder and higher pitched.

See old post below.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...package-3.html

1. PSM
(decreased with Sport Mode --- less intrusive)
2. PASM (increased with Sport Mode --- stiffer)
3. PTM (the 4WD system becomes more rearward bias -- more power to rear)
4. TCU -- Tiptronic (more "sporty" shift pattern)
5. ECU (increased turbo boost)
6. ETC (more responsive electronic throttle control)

Old 12-22-2014, 04:56 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Here's the page in the manual that describes the functionality of Sport mode. More info in subsequent pages.
Had not bothered to read all the changes to the car on pressing the "Sport" button before, thanks for posting! There's more going on than I realized (e.g., rev limiter), especially for those of us with dynamic engine mounts etc