997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TheRock's 997.1 TT to GT2RS / 997.2 Intercooler DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:06 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
TheRock's 997.1 TT to GT2RS / 997.2 Intercooler DIY Guide

OK Guys,

I was able to get my new intercoolers installed yesterday and thought I would document and help others as in the past.

Many of you have asked for this, so here it is. As always, I hope you find it helpful. If you have a better way to do it...Knock yourself out. I created this DIY and put in the time in the spirit of helping my fellow enthusiasts.

Good luck to you all. It is a pretty straightforward process, and I hope I documented and outlined it in a way that is easy to follow and logical!

Certainly, if you see opportunities to help others, or tips please post here for others.

Included in my DIY is a "Bonus" DIY on how to create and use a tester, to pressure test your IC's.

As in the past, I host these on my personal web server, so if it gets a lot of traffic, it may flake out....so just try again until it works.

LINK TO THEROCK'S 997 TURBO INTERCOOLER UPGRADE DIY

Enjoy, and let me know if it helps....

DC

PS: I also installed new Silicon Intake Ducts/Pipes and will create a DIY when I have time...If helpful....Pretty soon I will have enough DIY's to publish a CD and sell on eBay

Last edited by therock88; 09-03-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:25 PM
k-lo will become famous soon enough
Great well documented DIY writeup! Thanks! I am certain this will come in handy when I do my own intercoolers in the near future! - cheers!

Old 01-01-2015, 02:46 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
As always very nice work. I'm sure this will come in handy for lot's of people.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:58 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work as usual..

Old 01-01-2015, 03:08 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Thanks! I found a new career Pay sucks, but I enjoy it....And it helps the community!

DC

Old 01-02-2015, 01:37 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Nice job Rock, Your detail is always amazing to follow.

Just wondering, why did you decide to use zip ties?

Also, Since I cant really see from the photos, are you leaking air from the intake (upper part) of the ducts to ambient air?

Old 01-02-2015, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by elite1
Nice job Rock, Your detail is always amazing to follow.
Thanks....

Just wondering, why did you decide to use zip ties?
Tabs are short with wider IC, and did not want to mangle the IC by bending edge lip, or air guides by cutting more off. Also seems very secure.

Also, Since I cant really see from the photos, are you leaking air from the intake (upper part) of the ducts to ambient air?
Not sure I understand? Air ducts still fit great...a little tighter, but foam rubber compresses. On the IC, it is tight too after trimming and using the gasket.
Hope that helps?
DC

Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by therock88
Hope that helps?
DC
I did cut ~7mm of the material off the "clamps" so I could get the ducts to snap back together, no zip ties...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
I did cut ~7mm of the material off the "clamps" so I could get the ducts to snap back together, no zip ties...
Good deal! Probably lots of ways to do it. This is just one. I actually tried to trim the tabs, but there was still not enough room. I noted that if I would have bent the edges down on the long side of the IC's it would have worked OK like that, but then the ends of the Air Guides would have been pushed up due to the shorter tanks, and I did not want to trim that much of the Air Guides so went with the Zip Ties. These are large, heavy duty and held as secure as the tabs, and there is really no stress on this area, so I was OK with that approach.

Glad yours worked out...

DC

Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Nick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to behold
Great Write Up,
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Nick-NY
Great Write Up,
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Thanks....You bet...Happy to do it...Hope it helps.

DC

Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting. Have you had a chance to try them out? Any difference?

Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Hi there...

Well....Yes and no. I got it all back together and also pressure tested them and all is good. Took it out for a spin and it runs great! It was extremely cold out and since then has even been colder (-15 at night, and high of -5 days)....Oh, and a buttload of snow fell and the salt came out and then wind. So it is a mess and likely won't test again for a while.

So hard to tell any difference as I think the outside temps were ~20 degrees when I tested...so IAT's were very cool!

Did notice a nice difference with the Intake Ducts. It just seems to have 0 hesitation....and keeps accelerating...

Take care,
DC

Old 01-09-2015, 11:05 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
When I did this upgrade I did some logs. Comparing pulls in the same location I had lower IATs in the end of a pull even though ambient temps where higher.

The thread is somewhere here or on porscheboost.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
When I did this upgrade I did some logs. Comparing pulls in the same location I had lower IATs in the end of a pull even though ambient temps where higher.

The thread is somewhere here or on porscheboost.
Yes...Thanks! It is pretty well documented that these things work very well. Also I think "eurotom" did a great deal of very analytical research and has a very long and informative thread here and/or Rennlist.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 01-24-2015 at 08:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TheRock's 997.1 TT to GT2RS / 997.2 Intercooler DIY Guide