997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

do exhaust tips add sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
do exhaust tips add sound?

Just wondering what the general consensus was. I have heard from a number of people that certain ones do. Just wondering which ones.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
I was surprised to learn that the answer is yes.

I have the original Speedtech 2.5 "sport" exhaust with the 3" tips.. it was a little loud for my taste with a touch of drone in the cabin at 2200rpm.. I talked to John and he sent me the adapter to use the factory tips.

I was skeptical, but it certainly made a difference.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Not only do they add or lessen sound, they can/will change the sound, as well. We test and revise tips to perfect the "tone or tune" during our initial exhaust design phase and normally get better tone with an engineered tip tuned to our system. In some ways, an exhaust is like a musical instrument...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Interesting, I would have thought the answer was "No"! Is this the beginning of a "What is the best sounding exhaust tip out there" thread?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:58 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akunob
Interesting, I would have thought the answer was "No"! Is this the beginning of a "What is the best sounding exhaust tip out there" thread?
I am with you. While I have no evidence or proof otherwise, it seems hard to imagine how the last couple of inches of outlet (short of blocking it, or making it whistle would have much (if any) significant affect on the sound of the exhaust system??

I have had a few different styles, and have not noticed any change at all...

Again, no proof, just seems odd that it would...??

DC

Old 08-03-2015, 01:33 PM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of

Old 08-03-2015, 04:55 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
I am with you. While I have no evidence or proof otherwise, it seems hard to imagine how the last couple of inches of outlet (short of blocking it, or making it whistle would have much (if any) significant affect on the sound of the exhaust system??

DC
Anecdotally it does make quite a difference. I've played with my Europipe swapping between stock tips and aftermarket tips, and it added quite a bit of rasp to the sound. A local member also changed his tips out for some muffled ones and got rid of some cabin drone.

BBi sells the barcode exhaust with a muffled tip option to keep noise down as well. I'm running the non-muffled BBi barcode right now but plan on swapping to the muffled tips.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:24 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Why does a trumpet have a bell shape at the end? To make it more subtle?

If anything, I think Porsche designed the exhaust tip with that same reason but, the tip never see's the correct frequency / air flow to sing that most forum users want to hear. A stock setup is louder outside the cabin.

BTW, "Gofast" is in gear for the turbo sound or Deer Deterrent with the Pedal to floor.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 AM
drivingon9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by therock88

DC
Not any different than putting a cone, or empty roll of paper towels, or even your hands around your mouth when you talk, creating different sounds. The acoustics can vary drastically.

As a side note, they can also make "dink dink dink" noises. That's what I heard a couple of weeks ago right before I looked in my mirror to see one of my tips bouncing on the road after it had apparently wiggled itself loose..

Last edited by drivingon9; 08-04-2015 at 09:50 AM.