997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

458 vs 911TTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 12:52 PM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
458 vs 911TTS

Anyone own a 458 and a 997.2 TTS care to discuss pros and cos of both cars? I own an 11 TTS and my aspiration is to someday own an 458... I understand it's a huuuge step financially, however, I'm speaking about performance, maintenance, and overall thrill of owning one car over the other. I love my TTS and don't have any plans to part with it in the near future (maybe) but I think I'll hold on to my dream of the 458 unless it's a fools move to convert?!?!?

Old 12-27-2016, 02:55 PM
NY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud of
I just drove a 458 italia and the experience is simply intoxicating. It definitely isn't as easy to live with day to day as the 997 but my goodness what an experience. It's pure aural pleasure and extremely raw. It made my Turbo feel soft by comparison, it really is a whole other league of car. If you could find the means to the end, I'd say money aside, you'd be very happy with your decision. Just go ahead and test drive one, you'll see what i mean.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 PM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NY6SPEEDER
I just drove a 458 italia and the experience is simply intoxicating. It definitely isn't as easy to live with day to day as the 997 but my goodness what an experience. It's pure aural pleasure and extremely raw. It made my Turbo feel soft by comparison, it really is a whole other league of car. If you could find the means to the end, I'd say money aside, you'd be very happy with your decision. Just go ahead and test drive one, you'll see what i mean.
I was afraid someone would say that... I'm too scared to drive one, I'd probably do something very bad like buy it. Thank you for your review, I appreciate it.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:45 PM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
your Porsche will beat the *** of 458 in every aspect of performance and reliability

If it's any consolation loool

Old 12-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by 3llooi
your Porsche will beat the *** of 458 in every aspect of performance and reliability

If it's any consolation loool
Maybe, but you can NEVER get a 911 to sound like a 458... I came out of a high horsepower C7 Corvette, and I think the sound is what I really miss. My TTS runs great, fun to drive, but overall, it's just not meeting my original thrill of the drive I thought it would. Btw... I have a Europipe and the car is tuned too, so can't say throw aftermarket exhaust on it.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Maybe, but you can NEVER get a 911 to sound like a 458... I came out of a high horsepower C7 Corvette, and I think the sound is what I really miss. My TTS runs great, fun to drive, but overall, it's just not meeting my original thrill of the drive I thought it would. Btw... I have a Europipe and the car is tuned too, so can't say throw aftermarket exhaust on it.
Nope
LooL
Add headers!

Check my thread.. headers and speedtech sounds awesome

Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Nope
LooL
Add headers!

Check my thread.. headers and speedtech sounds awesome
What headers do you have on your car?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Can't even compare the two. Totally different cars and the 458 is a whole other level well above a 997, sorry and I am a Porsche owner and fanboy. If money was no object I would have a 458 over a 997TTS any day and every day. Drive a 458 and you will see.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:01 AM
What headers do you have on your car?
ESmotor custom headers

Car screams!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 AM
ESmotor custom headers

Car screams!
Was checking out your build thread. Very impressive, great job! Car looks and sounds great.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Can't even compare the two. Totally different cars and the 458 is a whole other level well above a 997, sorry and I am a Porsche owner and fanboy. If money was no object I would have a 458 over a 997TTS any day and every day. Drive a 458 and you will see.
That's the problem... money IS an object! I thought I could build this current car to run on par with my old C7, but it's not feasible. This car runs out of fuel before you even get close to the hp I was at with my old car. 458 is just art to me... I'm not sure if I'd even modify it? It just looks and sounds perfect right down to the factory wheels. I do realize they're two totally different cars, I'm just trying to get some insight on any anomalies with the 458 I maybe am blind to besides inherent maintenance costs.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !

I would say that the exhaust of a AMERICIAN V8 & Italian exotics are one of the best in the world.

BUT comparing a very tame straight out (no merge) exhaust like the Europipe (excellent quality and great for daily etc) made for daily verses lets say a 3"Speedtech RACE you WILL change your mind!
Here is my write up on the way the exhaust by itself changed the complete experience of my car (post 12) :

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...al-3-tips.html

Also the 997 platform was the "softest" out of all 911's, making it more GT then any other 911. My 996T was more of a raw feeling car stock verses my 997's.

So to the OP, yes stock daily GT car verses a race, drive once in a blue moon drive sports car , is going to be night and day difference. Comparing a GT3 or GT2 (both with select aftermarket X exhaust) is more of a fair comparison, but again you do get some "magic" for that extra$$.

To get that magic in my Mezger 997T, the minimum I would do is a 3" catless/mufflerless X exhaust ($2800,highly recommend 3" Speedtech RACE, for that exotic sound full of turbo spool, high end shriek & GT3 race sound), Motor mounts ($399 this little mod tightens up so much of forward,braking side to side movements), Sway bars ($700 if you are not doing full suspension this will make the car more "tight" feeling and corner flat without some of that GT "bend" in corners), Sprint Booster ($399 if you are not going to do a tune anytime soon this would give you very quick throttle response for a quick revving motor instead of the malaises slow free rev of the stock program). I did a ERP LWFW and a EVOM's LW crank pulley, for that quick revving exotic sport bike free revving feel, but if you do not want to get that in-depth you can get away with the Sprint Booster, but there is nothing like the feel of the LWFW and crank pulley!

You do very simple mods like the above and then compare and you would be shocked and the transformation! The car is more visceral in its feel and response to your commands.

I also have the understanding that there is also a certain "magic" that is on a cars DNA level that also can not be reproduced in another brand.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 12-28-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
having had the chance to drive all three on the track on the same day, I'd take the GT3 ahead of the italia ahead of the TTS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.