997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2/PCM3.0 iPod install update / Suncoast Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 AM
B R A N D X® is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 997.2/PCM3.0 iPod install update / Suncoast Porsche

I received a PM asking me how this went and figured I should post my response/follow up here for anyone else who would like to have the iPod integration installed after the fact:

IPOD2KIT purchased from forum sponsor Suncoast Porsche who I am pleased to report I can highly recommend for their excellent service.

Well, the kit itself about $440.00 (which sadly is the same total price as if ordered factory installed). My local audio install place was able to use the documentation that Suncoast was kind enough to print out and include (be sure to ask for this).

The install went very smoothly and is 100% factory clean, but set me back another $315.00 in labor Then I had to take the car to my Porsche service center for programing which was another $115.00 (for 15 minutes work!!!)

So, it cost about $430.00 extra versus having it ordered factory installed, but......it truly made the Bose system in my car come to life. I think the combination of being able to set general eq curves on the iPod combined with an all digital signal was the key.

My factory Bose sound system.....which gets universally panned....went from mediocre for radio, sattelite and CD to almost stunning sounding when listening to playback via the iPod.

The iPod does charge via the cable in the center console and you have a full menu on the touch screen with all iPod options. And even though you will never see this since the iPod lives in the center console, it's kind of neat that when you start the car the porsche logo shows up on the iPod screen.

It was money well spent and I am thrilled now that I have it.

If you can stomach the expense it is highly recommended!!

One further note: I went to a private audio installer thinking it would save me money, but my Porsche service center informed me when I went in for the coding that they would have charged $400.00 (4 hours labor) to install *and* code so as long as your local center charges the same as mine....$100/hour labor rates this may be a better way to go becaue it saves some running around.

However, since my local Porsche center didn't even know you could purchase this kit via Porsche, I am happy to have supported a locally owned audio shop on the install/labor end of the deal, especially in these tough economic times, so this didn't cause me to lose any sleep.

Again, if you purchased your 997.2 without the iPod/Aux option and regret that decision as I did, call Suncoast and order part number IPOD2KIT.

Hope this is helpful!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
Expensive!

Thanks goodness my car has that option!

Vic

Attached Images  

Last edited by gray911; 01-18-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
After the kit was installed and when you went to the dealership, what had to be done to activate the ipod kit?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 AM
gjnockie is on a distinguished road
Will that kit work on an 06 997? If it does do you have to go to a dealer for programing?

Also, there is another potential benefit from having a kit like this installed. I have this type of kit in my Mercedes and if the Porsche kit is similar, anyone who has an iphone with Pandora loaded on it can listen to Pandora in your car too.

I have tried this and it works great!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
I received a PM asking me how this went and figured I should post my response/follow up here for anyone else who would like to have the iPod integration installed after the fact:

IPOD2KIT purchased from forum sponsor Suncoast Porsche who I am pleased to report I can highly recommend for their excellent service.

Well, the kit itself about $440.00 (which sadly is the same total price as if ordered factory installed). My local audio install place was able to use the documentation that Suncoast was kind enough to print out and include (be sure to ask for this).

The install went very smoothly and is 100% factory clean, but set me back another $315.00 in labor Then I had to take the car to my Porsche service center for programing which was another $115.00 (for 15 minutes work!!!)

So, it cost about $430.00 extra versus having it ordered factory installed, but......it truly made the Bose system in my car come to life. I think the combination of being able to set general eq curves on the iPod combined with an all digital signal was the key.

My factory Bose sound system.....which gets universally panned....went from mediocre for radio, sattelite and CD to almost stunning sounding when listening to playback via the iPod.

The iPod does charge via the cable in the center console and you have a full menu on the touch screen with all iPod options. And even though you will never see this since the iPod lives in the center console, it's kind of neat that when you start the car the porsche logo shows up on the iPod screen.

It was money well spent and I am thrilled now that I have it.

If you can stomach the expense it is highly recommended!!

One further note: I went to a private audio installer thinking it would save me money, but my Porsche service center informed me when I went in for the coding that they would have charged $400.00 (4 hours labor) to install *and* code so as long as your local center charges the same as mine....$100/hour labor rates this may be a better way to go becaue it saves some running around.

However, since my local Porsche center didn't even know you could purchase this kit via Porsche, I am happy to have supported a locally owned audio shop on the install/labor end of the deal, especially in these tough economic times, so this didn't cause me to lose any sleep.

Again, if you purchased your 997.2 without the iPod/Aux option and regret that decision as I did, call Suncoast and order part number IPOD2KIT.

Hope this is helpful!

I had the same misfortunte... Had to get the Universal installed for $835 + tax from Porsche dealership.... It works great..... However, it does not CHARGE my iPhone?????

Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Apple changed something in the dock connector for the most recent iPhones. A new cable that will allow for charging of the phone is forthcoming. God only knows what it will sell for though. ;-)

Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
khnitz is on a distinguished road
In the meantime, you can use an adapter like the Scosche Passport to enable charging of the iPhone and newer iPods. The Passport converts the charging from the old Firewire (12V) pins to the USB (5V) pins on the iPod dock connector. The Passport just plugs onto the end of your existing iPod cable, and then on into your iPhone, etc. Runs under $30.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 AM
jfr0317 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by khnitz
In the meantime, you can use an adapter like the Scosche Passport to enable charging of the iPhone and newer iPods. The Passport converts the charging from the old Firewire (12V) pins to the USB (5V) pins on the iPod dock connector. The Passport just plugs onto the end of your existing iPod cable, and then on into your iPhone, etc. Runs under $30.
I am considering one of these adapters as well, but am concerned that my iPhone and the Scosche Passport won't fit in my console compartment with the lid shut. The iPhone is 4.5" long, and the Passport is 1.57", making the combination just over 6" long plus the length of the iPod cable connector.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by jfr0317
I am considering one of these adapters as well, but am concerned that my iPhone and the Scosche Passport won't fit in my console compartment with the lid shut. The iPhone is 4.5" long, and the Passport is 1.57", making the combination just over 6" long plus the length of the iPod cable connector.
I doubt it will fit. My iPhone barely fits as it is. I'm using an older 80 gig Gen. 2 iPod in the center console and just keep the iPhone in my jacket.

I need access to my iPhone sometimes while driving anyway so this works out okay. I don't text or email while driving, but I frequently do at stoplights or at drive-throughs or when traffic comes to a standstill.

Also, I would think plugging and unplugging an iPhone from the center console every time you got in and out of your car would be a real pain.

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 02-16-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
jfr0317 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
I doubt it will fit. My iPhone barely fits as it is. I'm using an older 80 gig Gen. 2 iPod in the center console and just keep the iPhone in my jacket.

I need access to my iPhone sometimes while driving anyway so this works out okay. I don't text or email while driving, but I frequently do at stoplights or at drive-throughs or when traffic comes to a standstill.

Also, I would think plugging and unplugging an iPhone from the center console every time you got in and out of your car would be a real pain.
I agree with your comments. I also have an iPod Photo (60 gigs) which charges just fine, works well, and just fits into the console compartment. I guess I'm more worried about what happens when that iPod needs replacing.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 AM
The iPod charging scheme change took a lot of the iPod adapter manufacturers by surprise. They have been scrambling to introduce updated charging/connection cables, etc., since the change was made. Also, there is a need for an Apple specific authentication chip to get rid of the "Not an authorized accessory" message. One of the first ones with a solution was Dension, but the others are catching up.

Hopefully Porsche will make an updated cable available, too, for this PCM3 solution. In the meantime, the Passport (and there are others out there now, too, I believe) is an option.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 AM
sa321 will become famous soon enoughsa321 will become famous soon enough
Also, there is a need for an Apple specific authentication chip to get rid of the "Not an authorized accessory" message.
There is no such thing as authentication chip. At least not in Porsche interface. It is a 10-lead cable with three resistors. Nothing else to it. I made a cable myself ($5 in parts) works just fine.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Re-read my post. If an iPod adapter manufacturer does not want the new iPhones/iPods to throw up the "this is not an authorized accessory" message when the iPod dock connector is used, then the adapter needs to include the Apple authentication IC. It doesn't stop the charging, iPod control or the audio output from working if you don't have the chip, but it doesn't bypass that message, either. If you don't have the chip, you cannot get video out of these new iPod/iPhone devices.

Does your cable connect via the iPod dock connector, or via the headphone jack? Also, which generation of iPod/iPhone did you test with?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 AM
sa321 will become famous soon enoughsa321 will become famous soon enough
Re-read my post. If an iPod adapter manufacturer does not want the new iPhones/iPods to throw up the "this is not an authorized accessory" message when the iPod dock connector is used, then the adapter needs to include the Apple authentication IC. It doesn't stop the charging, iPod control or the audio output from working if you don't have the chip, but it doesn't bypass that message, either. If you don't have the chip, you cannot get video out of these new iPod/iPhone devices.

Does your cable connect via the iPod dock connector, or via the headphone jack? Also, which generation of iPod/iPhone did you test with?
Once again there is no chip in Porsche Media connector for PCM3, and IPOD shows no "this is not an authorized accessory". Instead it shows Porsche logo and says "PORSCHE". Evrything is displaed and controled from PCM. What relevance does video output has for IPOD PCM3 connection? Porsche never claimed you can play video from IPOD on PCM3.

P.S. My cable connects to PCM3 at one end and Ipod at the other end with a 30 pin IPOD connector (standard one) like this http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml nothing in between. I tested Classic 5th, Nano 4th all work fine.

P.P.S. I took apart PCM3 Media connector and and made replacement cable myself. That is source of my statement. I am happy to hear of your source.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm not knocking what you did - I'm all for inventiveness (I can be very frugal myself).

Have you tried a 3G iPhone? Those have reliably brought up this message for adapters without the authentication chip. I will have the Porsche parts to play with soon enough (for this PCM3) and I will post my results with a friends 3G iPhone, as well, once we get everything installed.

Also curious, did you have to change the configuration settings on the PCM3 to accept your cable?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2/PCM3.0 iPod install update / Suncoast Porsche